Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 07:22 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times

Advertisements

Or follow the very simple rule....

Live near your work.... Especially if you have a family with kids, spouse or parents waiting at home for you; or also due to taxing and commute issues.

Work in Oregon... Live in Oregon

Work in WA... Live in WA

Exceptions are;
transitional employment,
2 incomes, (one from each state)
School needs
Healthcare
Caregiving
Emergencies
Domicile or legal reasons (inheritance / community property varies much between OR an WA)

If you are often back and forth, or have medical services in each.... Keep a copy of advanced directive close at hand. OR has a state specific form, and will not alway recognize a WA one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 05:07 AM

86 posts, read 106,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
Agreed. And unless you have large cash reserves and can buy something without a loan, it's going to be very difficult to find a rental without a job. Vancouver has almost zero rental vacancy.
I'm curious - do you have a family and/or debt? It is discouraging to think I'd need a six figure salary to live there, but that's why I'm seeking information here, so thanks for the feedback. I am single, live pretty simply, and have no debt except for my mortgage. I have about $50k reserves at the moment and am saving about $2k/month. I'm so bummed because it seems like I am never going to be able to get out of my current situation. All good ideas here but I'm coming to the conclusion I can't move without a job, and it's difficult to get a job there while living on the other side of the country. Informational interviews are a good idea but again much easier to do if I lived there.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:41 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaidpa View Post
I am single, live pretty simply, and have no debt except for my mortgage. I have about $50k reserves at the moment and am saving about $2k/month. I'm so bummed because it seems like I am never going to be able to get out of my current situation. .
If you wouldn't mind, please refresh my memory. What exactly is it about your current situation that you wish to upgrade/resolve/fix? It wasn't mentioned in your original post in this thread and I can't recall if you mentioned it elsewhere.

From a financial standpoint you certainly seem to be doing well if you can save $2k/month, so it doesn't seem to be finances driving the desire to move.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:14 AM

Sorry, I've posted in a couple of threads about various things related to my desire to relocate and probably forgot what I put where . You are right that it's not finances-I fairly easily saved almost $40k in a year. I want to move because don't like the area where I live (I'm in central PA and find it lacking in what I find appealing --real mountains and I'd like to be less than a day's drive to a "nice" coast i.e. not the Jersey Shore, it is way too crowded-- I like what I've seen and researched about the PNW) and I'm not entirely sure being a lawyer is for me. So basically I am ready to start over, which I realize is difficult and maybe even stupid, but I'm unhappy, and sometimes downright miserable in my current situation. I've been researching various areas of the country that I think I'd like to live for cultural/outdoor reasons, and the PNW keeps coming up. I feel stuck because of my narrow career experience, but staying in my current job any longer is only going to make that worse. I'm not totally sure if I'm ready to shut the door on a law career, but that's a tough market as well. I guess I am sort of reevaluating priorities, and place is becoming more important than career - although of course I understand I have to make a living and support myself. I also realize all these are things I have to figure out before I jump into a major move, but I'm finding a lot of value in the responses in this board because it helps me get a realistic picture of jobs, housing, climate, etc.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:51 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaidpa View Post
It is discouraging to think I'd need a six figure salary to live there, but that's why I'm seeking information here, so thanks for the feedback. I am single, live pretty simply, and have no debt except for my mortgage.
I'm single, no kids, make in the mid-five figure range and I do just fine. I do rent out a couple of my rooms but it's because in this market, it's a smart business decision to do so rather than because I need to survive so that gives me something extra to set aside each month.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:58 PM

5,447 posts, read 7,740,196 times
Can you take an extended vacation or leave of absence from your current job and fly out for a few weeks to look at job prospects and explore the area? Then you could just live out of a suitcase and find a cheap AirB&B room somewhere in Vancouver or Portland. If you find some good prospects or opportunities you can go back, pack up and return for good. If you strike out and decide the area isn't what you are looking for then nothing lost.

Might be a bit easier and less risky than packing up everying and moving out without having a place or job lined up in advance. Figure the job part out first then move your stuff out later.

Old 05-09-2016, 03:06 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Make a list of potential career options, and what the take-home pay will be.

There are many options of job centers and various places with different cost-of-living.
It is ez for us to eat and entertain on $100/ month... Stick $100 in an envelope on the first of month, when / if it runs dry... Get creative. We often cook extra for seniors in the neighborhood, and seldom run out of grocery money, never ! since the kids left over 10 yrs ago.
Utilities are $80/month (including water (well) and trash; $2 shared with neighbors)
Heat is wood from our own forest + solar
Phone is extra.... $20 for landline vs $7.50 as it was for many yrs.

Fuel is free, since 1976,,, (waste veggie oil)
My car cost $35, it needed a bit of work, but was running with ZERO added cost.
Insurance is $186 liability only
License plates $42 for life of car... (Collector car due to over 30 yrs old, but I have many ... So I rotate them frequently, but only insure the one that is on the road.

You can get by very cheap in communities nearby, or you can 'live normal' & pay market rates or higher. (Something I have never done... Bought my first home at age 19, then rented it, cuz I found another place cheaper and nicer.

My SIL has got by with ZERO housing costs for 36 yrs in Hawaii... She house and pet sits. I just saw ads for many places in PNW advertising for wanted, pet and plant sitters. These are usually very nice posh homes.

I would try to align on potential jobs, then make the transition when it makes the most sense for you., and do it affordably.

When the career puzzle starts to fall into place, then you can find permanent housing. That way if the career leads you elsewhere, you have the option to move.

See if you can find a room to rent. Several of my neighbors have separate living spaces for transitional friends / kids / eldercare. Most places are free to $500/ month 'contribution', not rent. Generally you are considered a 'boarder' cuz of shared space like laundry, and occasional kitchen (legally, a single family home cannot have 2 ovens), most of us are farmers, so we have 'canning kitchens' in the basement or shop. My current boarder will have the place to themselves for an entire yr., since I am overseas. Neighbors travel a lot too, and have winter and summer homes elsewhere. We all have garden and animal spots. Perfect for boarders that like to garden and have chickens, sheep, cows, outdoor pets.... Plenty of space to have guests, BBQ's, picnics, and each have separate driveways. We share lots of food and other stuff.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 05-09-2016 at 03:24 PM..

Old 05-09-2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Can you take an extended vacation or leave of absence from your current job and fly out for a few weeks to look at job prospects and explore the area?
I would love to do this, but with my billable hour requirement, it's probably not possible. I need to give it some serious consideration, though, and see if there is a way around it. It's probably the most realistic and least risky way to get out there to explore. I rarely take any vacation days, and rarely take much time off around holidays. Billable hour requirements stay the same no matter if you are on vacation, sick, etc., so if I take even a week off, I just have to make up those hours some other time. At some point it becomes impossible to make up the hours. I'm still a junior associate, so I don't think I could get away with a leave of absence. I'm in a fairly specialized practice area, so there is no one to cover my clients/cases while I'd be away. Anytime I do manage to take a vacation, I'm using working during it anyway - bleh. Two years ago I had a really nice vacation when I hardly worked at all - maybe just a couple small projects, but overall it was VERY relaxing. HOWEVER, I think with some long-term planning maybe I could manage to take a little time.

Some great "out of the box" suggestions here, so thanks to everyone. I am gaining confidence that, with patience and planning, I can find something Just thinking about all this stuff and considering new career options, etc., while sort of overwhelming, is also exciting and motivating, makes the dreary days at work a little more bearable.

Old 05-09-2016, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

My SIL has got by with ZERO housing costs for 36 yrs in Hawaii... She house and pet sits. I just saw ads for many places in PNW advertising for wanted, pet and plant sitters. These are usually very nice posh homes
I would love to do this! I also am health conscious and love the idea of gardening, etc. I bet there are some options out there to help out on a farm, watch pets, etc. like you mentioned. Just need to seek them out/be in the right place at the right time.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:35 AM

467 posts, read 526,769 times
Is it out of the question to explore jobs with law firms? If you get a job, at least you would have an income while you look around and network with the community. No one should have to stay in a job they don't like, but is it the job, or is it the career path? Do you have any family/friend connections at all in the PNW?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area