Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 11:44 AM

7 posts, read 10,551 times

Advertisements

I've been an independent computer consultant since 1980 so I plan on doing a few well-chosen projects in technology working part-time with someone. I might like to teach computer related skills as a volunteer. I’ve always been interested in learning about history but never wanted to get into re-enactment, etc. so I plan on visiting historical sites. I was raised in a European tradition, have drank wine since I was young. This year I started blogging about wine and dogs, two things that I have always been around so I plan on frequently visiting wine country. I taught a class in wine for beginners and enjoyed that a lot. I plan on increasing my exercise level and will probably join a gym. I was a gym rat when I was young, played a lot of sports and am paying the price for my reckless abandon style of play these days. I plan on exploring to great outdoors, but have to not over-do my physical limitations. I use to go white-water rafting three to four times a year, always enjoyed canoeing, sailing, horseback riding, and camping. In short, I have a lot of interests, and feel that “variety is the spice of life” especially when it comes to food and adventure.

My wife has spent her career in education. She has a master’s in special education, has been a teacher, and an administrator. She currently is a Junior High school principal. She shares my love of wine and dogs. She also likes variety in her food and routine and appreciates history. When it comes to the outdoors, she likes day trips, casual walks, the beach, but thinks camping is staying at Motel 6. She hasn’t been in a tent since she was a girl scout. She plans on working part-time with some organizations that support education. She is an avid reader and will definitely join the library.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 12:52 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Look at the great canoeing and hiking in the Columbia Gorge, especially near Stevenson, WA, also follow Home* |* Columbia Gorge Wine Country. I was part of the group that helped start the wine sector collaboration for them several years ago. There are many great things and business groups and retirement options in the Gorge, and plenty of wine in the Willamette Valley, 1 hr south of Vancouver.

There are many food and AG sustainability groups in the Gorge, Gorge Grown Food Network - Supporting local, sustainable food in the Columbia Gorge Region

Being on the rast side of Vancouver will avail very ez access to PDX, portland and the gorge.

Look for places near fisher landing, or Fairway Village

Old 05-19-2016, 03:22 PM

Whoops... "Being on the East side of Vancouver"....

Sorry... I'm Replying via cell phone from an airport...with 'retired' eyes and a self correcting Phone that knows Thai, but not much english...

Portland area and western WA, are both very strong in sustainability and 'food security' / local grown. If that interests your wife, we hold many events for the needy people, and to those who like to learn about nutrition and food preparation and proper selection of local fruits and veggies.

PNW is a gardeners paradise (if you don't mind mud). Nearly everything grows abundantly. Vancouver was the largest prune producing region in USA during early 1900's. We had a U-pick Fruit Farm with 30 varieties of apples, pears, cherries, berries, and even grew some very nice Palm Trees. (Over 12 ft high). WSU extension, located on 78th St, across from Grovers, is now site of Clark County Heritage Farm, and was previous site of Poor Farm. I really wish they would recreate a 'poor farm' village for seniors and our immigrant population, that would produce significant food for their needs, and teach skills that are aging away from USA. Immigrants have taken over much of Clark County senior home healthcare and also fresh market farming. It gives them employment and a chance to learn language. They are diligent workers and learners. Most are slavic. A few eastern Asian, and now more middle eastern. SE portland has a significant immigrant population with some very large slavic churches and many businesses and groceries.

For Vancouver, home locations with ideal climate and soils for gardening, look to Glenwood, Felida, Manor, Ridgefield, Dollars Corner regions.

Old 05-20-2016, 02:13 AM

Good canoeing on the back waters of Columbia and Willamette River, lower Columbia, between Astoria and Longview.

Some folks like canoeing near Silver Lake / Castle Rock, WA.

Columbia River itself is better via kayak, as it can be windy and rough.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:59 AM

76 posts, read 122,988 times
What area is good to retire near Vancouver? Would like good walkability and like Trader Joes/whole foods and Kaiser Permanente. We used to live in Eugene OR but had to relocate but would like to come back to PNW.

Old 05-20-2016, 03:29 PM

Cascade park has all the above.... I liked living next to Evergreen Memorial Gardens...it was Quiet and nice place to walk.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:51 AM

Default As Interests go.....

In answer to your question, StealthRabbit, most things in life generally interest me. I’m a semi-retired independent computer consultant. I’ve been making a living by working with all aspects of computers since 1980. I would like to work part-time on doing something related. I would like to volunteer to teach computer skills or coding.

I was raised in the European Tradition of having wine with meals and enjoyed wine since I was young. I taught a “Wine for Beginners” class, which I really enjoyed. I plan on visiting “wine country” frequently. Last year I started a blog dedicated to Wine and Dogs, two of my favorite subjects. I trained and worked with dogs when I was a child. I have volunteered with pet rescues and the local humane society. I would like to spend more time working on the blog and volunteering in this regard.

As far as the “Great Outdoors”, I used to go with white-water rafting 3 to 4 times a year for ten years, have taught canoeing, done some kayaking on rivers and in the ocean, enjoy sailing, used to go surfing. Love the water. When I was growing up, I went hunting and fishing with my grandfather, but have never had the patients to really enjoy fishing as much hiking and exploring. I my early I twenties I used to go rock climbing.

I played a lot of sports with reckless abandon and my body is paying for the sins of my youth; knees, feet, back, shoulders, and a few too many concussions. These days, swimming, working out at the gym, and short walks are the extent of my exercise. I recently dropped fifty pounds, that I had gained, being too sedentary for several years.

My wife has spent her life in education, first as a student, a teacher, and then as an administrator. She is currently a junior high principal. She shares my love of wine and dogs. Staying at a Motel 6 is as close to camping as she wants to get. She is an avid reader, so she will be joining the library, she plans on working part-time with a couple of organizations that support education. She appreciates art, loves museums, and experiencing culture.

We both enjoy variety in food and entertainment. We like learning about history and exploring historical sites, native cultures, meeting and conversing with a diverse group of people.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:13 PM

You might consider White Salmon, WA (1 hr east, better weather, much of your style of recreation)
Or visit frequently.

Both White Salmon river and nearby Klickitat river and Deschutes (oregon river) are superb kayaking / rafting / fishing rivers. The mighty Columbia rolls through the region and offers plenty of various water sports. My 75 yr old former boss kite boards in White Salmon, WA all summer.

If you end up in Vancouver, you can adjunct or adult teach at Vancouver community Ed, Clark College, and WSU- V. Or some of the 20+ schools in Portland region. Mt Hood, Concordia, Multnomah, Warner Pacific, and Western Theological are each within 10 min of I-205 bridge and usually have positions for adjunct / PT faculty for adult business degree programs. Many other choices in Portland metro. I have offices and teach PT in Columbia Gorge CC in both Hood River, and The Dalles. There are many 'volunteer' teaching opportunities in PDX area (including Vancouver, Camas, Washougal, Battleground, Stevenson).

We have many great dog opportunies, I can get you connections with local breeders and trainers. You can even help me find another replacement for my 3rd Choc Lab 'farm dog' 16 yrs and he bit the dust instead of suffer another outdoor Gorge winter. RIP

No worries about the weight.... You can keep your pounds off in PNW active culture. I recently got back to my High School weight for graduation of my last Master's degree program. One problem..... I can't seem to get back to my HS width ( did we really have 24" waists back then?)

Have your DW get her Multnomah Couty Library card, it is free to Clark Couty residents, and compliments Ft Vancouver Regional (including White Salmon and Goldendale). Camas is a seperate system, but shares too. Another great resource is to get an academic card from the Portland schools mentioned above. Concordia has a NICE new library and they are very helpful for research. Lewis and Clark is local law school with the regional US patent library. I also appreciate the great free library at Portland Art musuem. But.... Most of my books come via paperbackbookswap.com. I like to get hardbacks of out of print authors. Free is a good price. Powell Books and Multnomah Library just might become her escape. You can enjoy nearby happy hours as she browes.

Old 05-23-2016, 05:37 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
Concerning banking, open an account at JP Morgan Chase. The branch on SE 192nd (Columbia Tech Center) is excellent, great staff, drive through, everything you will need. No matter who you select, I recommend having one account at global big bank like Chase, or Citi, or B of A -- you can put money in the account and always have access to your account around the U.S. and most of the planet. Chase is my choice for the Pacific Northwest, lots of branches from the Canadian border to Tijuana..................................
Chase is a criminal organization.

They "bought" our government mortgage. Criminal...they even have the Federal government in on the scams. I got a letter from the Obama Administration to call Chase and they would "help" with my mortgage.

RIGHT. The help was a $15 dollar a month reduction in my mortgage in exchange for 5,000 dollars in refinancing costs. They even offered a mortgage rate 1% over market. The reason...."I have lots of equity in my home, thereby making it a high risk loan. I could always get a home equity mortgage or second".

Run from Chase. Find a credit union. They do everything a money center bank does but ********* over.

Other than that...your info was good.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:59 PM

We are moving in June/july to Vancouver from La Verne CA ( LA area ) Does any body have any recommendations for full service moving companies that I might want to consider using?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area