Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 08:27 AM

472 posts, read 527,578 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I had to go to Beaverton from Downtown Vancouver. Getting there was not bad (30 minutes) as I left at 5:30 am.

I left Beaverton at 4:15 and got home at 6m. I hear traffic is bad but had no clue it was like this. I typically work from home or travel outside our state so my local traffic exposure is limited.

Just want to let others know if they are ever considering this commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 12:10 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,502,464 times
It's truly awful these days. When we first moved here in 2008 I used to pop over to Portland to shop all the time, I took my kids to omsi or the zoo often. We even considered private schools in Portland for our children. I volunteered for a nonprofit in NW Portland.

Now I avoid Portland unless we're doing something on the weekend. Rush hour seems to start at 2:30pm in the afternoon during the week and frankly life is too short.

Old 12-08-2016, 02:18 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,263,996 times
Yeah I would only make that commute off hours. Crazy here how short drives take so long. Used to being able to budget basically a mile a minute to get anywhere back in Ohio with lots of interstates and alternate routes to choose from.

Old 12-09-2016, 01:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Happy hour (There are plenty in Oregon) is much better spent relaxing, than in a traffic jam. But you need to go to the library for an hour if you have a HH that ends at 6PM.

Or you could have taken Germantown Road,

but... you probably took the 'triple hit.. 26 > I-405 > I-5

Old 12-09-2016, 03:47 PM

5,452 posts, read 7,749,413 times
Took my kids to the zoo a couple weekends ago. We drove across the 205 bridge and parked at the Cascade Station mall (next to Ikea) and took the red line MAX all the way to the zoo. Probably not faster than driving, especially on weekends but we were impressed with the train and it was a relaxing way to cross Portland sans-auto. That's what I would do these days if I had to get to Beaverton during peak travel times.

Old 12-09-2016, 06:14 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,263,996 times
But the parking lot police will nab you for doing that heh.

Old 12-11-2016, 07:10 PM

5,452 posts, read 7,749,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
But the parking lot police will nab you for doing that heh.
What parking lot police? I looked all over and there isn't a single sign stating the parking is restricted in any way to shoppers. Or time limited for that matter. There simply aren't any signs at all stating any kind of parking restrictions. At least that I could find and I looked pretty hard. The whole place is called "Cascade Station" implying connection to the light rail station. I also looked online at the Cascade Station web site and couldn't find any information about parking restrictions.

That said, you probably don't want to use the place for commuting park and ride because the stores don't open until 9 or 10 am so if you drop your car there at 6 or 7 am it will be noticed as the only one sitting there in the lot for hours. But after 9 am? The parking lot is busy and people are walking all over the place. How is anyone going to notice where you are going?

Of course you can drive a bit farther to the gateway park and ride center at the intersection of 205 and 84. Probably a better option because both the red and blue line trains pass there so you get twice the train frequency. I've never done that so I don't know what it is like and whether or not it fills up.

Old 12-11-2016, 07:40 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,890,692 times
The simple reason why traffic is so bad between Portland/Beaverton and Vancouver is I-5 was never expanded in any meaningful way from when it was constructed in the early 60's to today. Seriously, other than making room for a carpool lane, it is basically the same freeway that was originally built. I said this is the "simple" reason. Actually it isn't so simple, as the right of way for I-5 in North Portland is quite narrow, and we are beyond the days of eminent domain, so this constriction is real. Ever wonder why I-5 opens up when you get across the Interstate Bridge? Because I-5 is wider north of the border (and many get off at this point, admittedly).

The other part of the equation, though less of a factor, is no light rail into Vancouver. There are many to blame here, but bottom line it doesn't exist.

The Interstate Bridge expansion proposal is dead in the water at this point, but without expansion on I-5 south of there it wouldn't have done much good. And yes, I understand the dynamic of Washington not wanting to build light rail across it...(see above).

Last edited by pnwguy2; 12-11-2016 at 07:51 PM..

Old 12-11-2016, 07:50 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,523,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Happy hour (There are plenty in Oregon) is much better spent relaxing, than in a traffic jam. But you need to go to the library for an hour if you have a HH that ends at 6PM.

Or you could have taken Germantown Road,

but... you probably took the 'triple hit.. 26 > I-405 > I-5
we used to do this when they were redoing 217 or 26, mid 80's. We were traveling from 185th/Intel areas to Salem. Eventually gave up when a new job took me out even further on 26.

Old 12-12-2016, 07:41 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,962,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
And yes, I understand the dynamic of Washington not wanting to build light rail across it...(see above).
At risk of opening this whole discussion again much of the light rail issue had to do with new right of way (just like road expansion) and what is not talked about is bridge height as light rail does not handle steep grades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area