Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 01:33 PM

50 posts, read 53,319 times

Advertisements

Good Afternoon,

I am expecting a possible job offer in Vancouver next month, and I am struggling with understanding neighborhoods, schools, and such from 2,000 miles away. From reading the forums, it seems Camas school district is number #1, but Vancouver has decent schools near fischer's landing. i have seen very little on the Evergreen district. In terms of amenities, I understand Vancouver is predominantly suburbia, but I am a bit perplexed about areas that are within walking distance of food options, grocery and parks.

I am looking for a 2 or bedroom, 2 bath condo, duplex/triplex, house. I would prefer to stay away from large apartment complexes, but I will take one to be able to walk to a couple things.

Other considerations:
-close & zoned for great preschool and elementary school
-can walk to a grocery store, stores, parks (not sure this is even possible)
-safe
-near parks/playgrounds
-30 minute commute to Fort Vancouver National Historic Site

This is one of multiple potential locations for relocation, so I am trying to choose right job and the right location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 02:20 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,501,383 times
Welcome! Combining a good elementary school with walkability is going to be hard in the Vancouver area. A couple questions to help us narrow down areas for you.

What's your budget?
How old is your child (children)?

The Fort area itself and adjacent Uptown Village/Downtown is mostly walkable but the schools leave a lot to be desired. Fishers Landing is a fabulous elementary school but there are few walkable areas that feed into it.

You may want to look at the newer condos and apartments near Columbia Tech, there would be some walkability there.

You may also want to look at rentals near downtown Camas, walking would definitely be possible as well as good elementary schools. The commute from downtown Camas to the Fort would be about 20 min.

Gause is not a bad elementary school in Washougal either, although the middle and high schools are weaker. Columbia Tech and Camas are going to be more expensive than the downtown area of Vancouver or Washougal.

There are other posters on this board that are more familiar with the Felida, Ridgefield, and Salmon Creek areas of Vancouver which may also be options. Felida and Ridgefield in particular have good schools but unless you live in downtown Ridgefield they aren't particularly walkable as far as I know.

The entire area is quite safe, compared to other cities of the same size Vancouver is Mayberry. There are playgrounds and parks aplenty, we can walk to three from our home in Camas. Just about everywhere in the area would be within 30 min of the Fort, except perhaps deep Washougal or Ridgefield.

Best of luck, let us know your budget and we can help narrow it down more!

Old 12-22-2016, 03:07 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream41180 View Post
Good Afternoon,

I am expecting a possible job offer in Vancouver next month, and I am struggling with understanding neighborhoods, schools, and such from 2,000 miles away. ...
I am looking for a 2 or bedroom, 2 bath condo, duplex/triplex, house. I would prefer to stay away from large apartment complexes, but I will take one to be able to walk to a couple things.

Other considerations:
-close & zoned for great preschool and elementary school
-can walk to a grocery store, stores, parks (not sure this is even possible)
-safe
-near parks/playgrounds
-30 minute commute to Fort Vancouver National Historic Site

This is one of multiple potential locations for relocation, so I am trying to choose right job and the right location.
I would do this in a heartbeat! (Vintage homes within FVHS)
Officers Row Fast Facts | Properties
get on the wait list!
Yes! The Row has 35 residential one- and two-bedroom townhomes ranging from 675 square feet to 1,600 square feet. Residential tenants sign one-year leases ranging from $725 to $1,500 monthly.
Local school may not be the best, but get engaged and it can be excellent.

Old 12-22-2016, 03:32 PM

hml1976...
Budget: $1,000-$1,500.
Ages: My sons will be 18 months and 3 years when we move. My oldest is a September baby, so preschool age for 2017-2018 and 2018-2019 school years.

Another consideration is a church or organization that offers pat-time childcare. I would be looking for 2-4 mornings or afternoons a week for my youngest.

StealthRabbit....
those look awesome! Can you tell me about the areas proximity to grocery store and crime/safety?

Old 12-22-2016, 03:45 PM

472 posts, read 527,048 times
Officers row is high-profile area for the city. Many walking historic/tours so its heavily paroled, low crime.

Fred Meyer off 14th (2500 Columbia House Blvd) is the most logical, its a very nice/newer shopping center that even has electric car charging. Walking to downtown is a bit of a hike but easy by bike.

Old 12-22-2016, 04:01 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,501,383 times
Quote:
hml1976...
Ages: My sons will be 18 months and 3 years when we move. My oldest is a September baby, so preschool age for 2017-2018 and 2018-2019 school years.

Another consideration is a church or organization that offers pat-time childcare. I would be looking for 2-4 mornings or afternoons a week for my youngest.

StealthRabbit....
those look awesome! Can you tell me about the areas proximity to grocery store and crime/safety?

I think you're really going to have to come and visit. The other posters are right that the Officers Row area is very nice. I also like Uptown Village which is nearby. Both are walkable, historic, and lovely.

But if schools are your first priority I wouldn't personally live in that area. We have some friends who sent their kids to Franklin Elementary in Lincoln with kind of mixed reviews, you may want to take a look in that area as well. If you stay in the Vancouver school district there are some excellent magnet school options for middle and high school. In that area we have friends with preschoolers at Our Lady of Lourdes, but I'm sure there are many options.

You should have no trouble finding a 2-3 bedroom townhouse or condo in any of the areas suggested for less than $1500.

Best of luck!

Old 12-22-2016, 07:19 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
hml1976...

StealthRabbit....
Clark College (near Officers Row) had a childcare / preschool option many yrs ago. They may have moved that program to WSU-Vancouver (not so near). The region is quite supportive of 'work-life' and employers will often help you find services and give you flexibility in schedule to take care of needs. There is a blossoming group of downtown residents, so I trust you will find a nice solution. If not ASK... we have 'connections;

I have friends that have taught at Harney elementary (near Officers Row). It has quite a mix of economic levels, but strives to serve it's pretty upscale parents as well. There will be options in all parts of Vancouver, just that Officers Row is really nice to fit your work and park requirements. New library is a very short walk away. They will have LOTS of children's programs. I really treasure 'walk-ability to Home / recreation / school' stuff you need to do everyday. Nearby Shopping (Fred Meyer Market) is really quite a nice store with variety / clothes /houseware and garden too.

2500 Columbia House Blvd, Vancouver, WA (Maybe you can find a 'short-cut' through end of airstrip (unlikely, but would save 1/2 the walk!) While stationed in Singapore we had a 'alley trail' to grocery across a creek and through a very short jungle, our kids (5-7) thought it quite the adventure and was affectionately known as Hồ Chí Minh trail, very safe there, so lots of midnight trips to grocery.)

here is weekly ad for a rough idea of prices here.
https://www.fredmeyer.com/weeklyad

of course there are many other good choices for food shopping in Vancouver area (~10-15 min from Officers Row)
Weekly Specials - Chuck's Produce
QFC, Trader Joes, New Season, Whole Food and Natural Grocer's https://www.naturalgrocers.com/store...ion/vancouver/

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 12-22-2016 at 07:32 PM..

Old 12-23-2016, 04:51 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,056,173 times
I would love to live on Officers Row if I had the chance. Someone told me there was a 5-10 year waiting list but I don't know how true that is. You are also under strict rules living on historic property. No swing set, no toys left in the yards, no un-approved decorations, etc... I would live there if I had no kids.

Old 12-24-2016, 09:33 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,822,511 times
Honestly there aren't a lot of bad elementary schools in Vancouver. It really depends more on the teacher as well as the parental involvement at that level. And then for middle and high school there are magnet schools including the excellent Vancouver School of Arts and Academics. I'd consider looking at the Hough neighborhood (Uptown Village). It's the most urban neighborhood in Vancouver outside of downtown and the most desirable of the historic core neighborhoods. Not a lot of townhomes, but you might find a duplex or a small home there. Carter Park and Arnada are quite nice too and similar in character. Lots of 1920s-1940s homes with some newer infill in places. The divider between Franklin and Hough Elementary schools is 29th Street (Hough south and Franklin north), and I don't know much about Franklin, but Hough is a high-rated school. If you want to go more urban, there are many condos available in the Esther Short area (downtown proper) which would be south of Mill Plain Blvd.

Do note that this urban core, while quite safe, is not sterile. That means there are homeless people, there are sometimes strangers walking through the alleys looking for pop cans in your recycling bin, there are car prowls on occasion, etc. But violent crimes are very rare and common sense will keep you from being a victim of opportunity. Most property crimes here are just due to tweakers taking an easy opportunity to steal something to hock for their next high.

Nothing in the whole city will be in walking distance of a decent grocery store really, but if you're in the historic core it is an easy bike ride to the Fort and the aforementioned Grand Central Fred Meyer. Downtown/uptown has all kinds of great restaurants, breweries, etc., that are walkable. I wouldn't bother trying to rent something on Officer's Row. It's just not realistic at all, although it has a romantic appeal. It's doesn't really have a "neighborhood" feel to it anyway.

As for East Vancouver (east of I-205), it's mostly very new development--pretty much in the past 20 years or so, but some pockets date to the 80's or even late 70's. The schools in Evergreen are generally highly regarded. It is a bit wealthier area, more so the further east you go, so there isn't quite as much of a mix of incomes like you see on the west side of town. That area is all very generic suburban in feel with wide, high-speed streets and big box stores and giant parking lots. There are an increasing number of good food options out there, however, as well as some higher end supermarkets like New Seasons, Chuck's, and Whole Foods. Fred Meyer is quite nice too generally and they have a couple out that way. You can think of 162nd Ave as sort of the "downtown" of the east side, even though it's completely suburban. They even have an offshoot of the Vancouver Farmer's Market (which is the 2nd largest in the state) at the Columbia Tech Center.

In between the freeways, south of SR-500, it's pretty unremarkable for the most part. It's nice enough, and there are some nice neighborhoods, but nothing special and not really anything you seem to be looking for. As for Camas, it's a very quaint small town with some improving food/drink options in the downtown. It's also home to a paper mill which smells quite bad to me. If you lived there you'd probably get used to it, and up in the hills above the city center you don't really smell it. That said, Camas is a fairly homogeneous and relatively affluent town. That may be a good thing or a bad thing depending on who you are and what you are looking for. The lack of diversity could be a problem for some people, as it was for a friend of mine who used to live there. But, yes, the schools are excellent. Probably the best in the Portland/Vancouver area, save for Riverdale and maybe Lake Oswego on the Oregon side.

Hopefully this helps some. Congratulations on the job offer and good luck with your decision.

Old 12-24-2016, 06:00 PM

Backdrifter...thank you for your detailed information packed response. My husband and I plan to visit soon if I accept the offer. It will be a drastic change for the whole family, so I am hoping we can find something that feels like home. Diversity is very important so I am glad to see it discussed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area