Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 09:21 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmiguel View Post
I suspect your coworkers were transplants. Texans are proud of their state including native Austinites.

yeah, I have to keep remembering to to leave my TX stars and A&M wardrobe in my TX home.

It really IS handy to have a TX home and a PNW home... (74F and STARS tonight (Dec 28) in Hill Country) 10+ deer bedded down in the front yard. On SWA, Coolers of Salmon and berries fly FREE from PNW to TX, and barter for BBQ and Brisket) Also will be bringing to PNW a few $4 bags of TX grapefruit 15# each.

Camas is one of many nice areas for OP, but.... you may end up homeschooling (very popular and sometimes necessary. We arrived 'friendless' and 8.5 months pregnant with #1, didn't know a soul. Worked out great, and we were engaged and accepted into each activity we sought.

For toddlers there is a great Camas preschool / play co-op.

Camas-Washougal Co-op Preschool

Take opportunities to 'group camp'. We did that as families and formed really good, long lasting relationships. (All were Camas 'faith' based groups)

Some good places to Start are Camas Assembly, and nearby Grace Foursquare (We have attended neither, but have friends in each). We prefer LITTLE groups / home churches / home fellowships. Plenty of all in CW. PM me if you have specific needs / interests (but.... our kids are 10+ yrs out of college (Running Start + early U). We are still very engaged in schools, volunteering, elder care for shut-ins, Lost and Found Cafe, Treasure House, ...

Plenty of options, great ways to engage your family and meet others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 09:40 PM

btw: if homeschool is an option, get in touch with this group, they are very helpful (including school and tutoring needs)
Clark County Home Educators - News & Events

frequent 12 week 'field trips' were pretty nice! (But really cut into 'earnings' (too bad )

but we also lived / homeschooled internationally before kids were of Running Start age. Not the best, not right for everyone, but we survived and the kids TOO! (kids are FAR more resilient than 'parents') We would have left C/W and headed to sunshine if it were my choice, but... alas, the choice was NOT mine! (Family / activities / commitments / responsibilities to consider!

But that also means there is HOPE / endurance for those of us who are NOT happy to work and play 200+ days / yr in the mud. I will admit that I LOVE having the opportunity to live in the Scenic Gorge (and only be 20 min from PDX!). The Columbia Gorge wind / weather is intense, but.... not as bad as WY and Estes Park CO (childhood ranch home)
Best wishes, and just ask if you have questions or needs.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 12-28-2016 at 09:49 PM..

Old 01-06-2017, 09:42 PM

3 posts, read 4,219 times
Smelled the mill from 3 miles NW of it, today.

Old 01-09-2017, 11:09 AM

8 posts, read 11,557 times
I appreciate the replies. I realize not everyone will share the same experiences and opinions of a place therefore feedback will vary. Stealthrabbit, much appreciated. I wish I could afford to have a home there and a home here in TX but that won't be the case. As far as homeschooling, that won't happen as well. I love my career and will continue to work so public school is a certainty. We'll probably rent a home (if we can find one) and just play it by ear to see if it's somewhere we'd want to plant our roots permanently. Here's to a new adventure!

Old 01-09-2017, 02:46 PM

Good luck, thanks for checking back. Many options.

I will assure you my '2' homes are (far) less expensive to buy and maintain than one 'Normal' home in either location. (I am very frugal and build my own). I loved my career too, so chose to work nights for 20 yrs so I could farm and homeschool (and earn our one and only paycheck).

There are plenty of housing and area choices here, renting should be fine. If you are working, keep that commute to a minimum during the 'kid-years'. as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area