Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 05:36 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,576,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
Are their parts of Van that get heavy jet path noise from PDX?
Link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 03:58 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
Are their parts of Van that get heavy jet path noise from PDX?
Jet noise will vary greatly depending upon the wind direction. Although I am in the Salmon Creek area, a good way from the airport and not aligned with runways we still get substantial traffic and noise when the wind is from the east. All traffic from the east to the airport must make a downwind leg to the west to turn around and land into the wind. At a busy time we get dozens of airliners and many I report for being too low and too loud.

When the wind is from the west we get very little air traffic.

Old 12-29-2017, 03:06 PM

77 posts, read 62,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Jet noise will vary greatly depending upon the wind direction. Although I am in the Salmon Creek area, a good way from the airport and not aligned with runways we still get substantial traffic and noise when the wind is from the east.
cdelena, may I ask which specific part of Salmon Creek? This info will certainly help us in our property search.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:01 AM

5,447 posts, read 7,740,196 times
We live in the western edge of Camas near 192nd. I don't notice aircraft noise to be a problem at all. I see the occasional plane go by but the are generally always a few miles south across the Columbia and lining up to land. Honestly I never hear jets inside the house. Or perhaps I just never notice them. Maybe we are actually too close to the airport and when they turn around they pass east of us or something. But for us it is a non-issue. There are 20 other more important factors I would consider when looking for housing.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:13 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer15 View Post
cdelena, may I ask which specific part of Salmon Creek? This info will certainly help us in our property search.
We got overhead approach noise (circling for landing) in South Hazel Dell (Next to Hazel Dell Park)

We also had the constant drone of I-5 traffic ~ 1 mile east of I-5 (Be careful near a 'grade / hill ' on a highway (Trucks gearing down and up and using exhaust brakes))

There are also railroads in Vancouver E-W along River and N-S Fruit Valley area (And near Salmon Creek / Felida)

Our first home was adjacent to Evergreen Memorial Gardens..(112th Ave and NE 9th st) with no appreciable airplane noise until one crisp, windy, cold Dec and the N>S approach due to high winds was directing over our home!! (LOW flying jetliners! but only a few days / yr)

Old 12-30-2017, 10:57 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer15 View Post
The aircraft are supposed to maintain a higher altitude and stay north of the I5/205 split as they head west until the approach to the river where they head south and reduce altitude. Too many don't stay north and sometimes are a low altitude (and pretty loud) before reaching 41/36th ave. You know if you can read the logo on the plane over a residential area miles from the airport it is too low.

This is only an issue with planes landing to the east so about half of the year, and with 20% of that air traffic. You can minimize the issue by being to the east before the glide slope drops too much but that is closer to I5. Across the interstate (about Mt. Vista area) there is no appreciable air noise.

I report especially bad cases to the PDX noise staff and they look at the route and altitude and sometimes contact the carrier to advise a change.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:23 AM

77 posts, read 62,044 times
Thank you, US, cdelena, Stealth, and texas for that good info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area