Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 10:05 AM

8,216 posts, read 16,708,095 times

Advertisements

One of the things folks will say is 'don't move to the PNW until you've visited during the winter.' Even though we've got two sets of family members living there and have for decades, we're still coming out this weekend! The trip is really more to look at some houses which came up that we like than to experience winter weather. But now the rainy, cloudy PNW is sunnier with less rain than we're getting CA! Is this a strange occurrence in the winter? We were fully expecting the opposite - the gloomy, soggy stuff folks complain about. No sun and raining constantly for 10 months out the year, blah, blah, blah.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 10:34 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
I'd say that's about par for the course. Out of that period, you have 5 days of rain predicted. Most of the time, it's either overcast or rainy, with a whopping 4 days of full sun.

Also bear in mind, that it's March already; winter is almost over, and Seattle's heading into spring, which IMO is glorious in Seattle. "Glorious", because the bright sunny days, contrasting with the cloudy or rainy days as flowers start to bloom, are exhilarating! On those bright sunny days, you can really feel that everything is coming alive, and Spring is sproinging. You can really appreciate that bright sunshine (whereas in CA, it's just the same old, same old). You may get a taste of that, for your short visit.

Old 03-01-2019, 11:19 AM

5,452 posts, read 7,749,413 times
This winter has been drier than normal but not off the charts unusually so.

People talk about the gray winters here. But what I always remember coming home each Christmas from college in the midwest is how absolutely green things are here in the winter compared to more eastern and midwest states where there are few evergreen trees. Unlike the midwest, lawns stay green all winter and there is just a lot more natural greenery around on the streets and wild areas. Living here you don't notice it so much during the winter. But take a visit from say Chicago where there is nothing green in December and you really notice.

Of course coming from CA is a bit different.

Old 03-01-2019, 11:40 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,863,094 times
That looks awful! The sunny days are basically 20s and 30s with a moderate breeze. Followed up by rainy and 40's. No thanks!

Old 03-01-2019, 11:51 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Bring a range of coats (not including RAIN coats !)

Today is a "Colorado day".. (in the west Gorge)

24F and sunny. Shirt-sleeve weather while driving (Toasty in the 'terrarium' car), tho I have my 1970's era Camp 7 Down coat (Boulder based). Used my Frost-line vest (Boulder based) while sweeping 'Colorado-style' snow this AM. (Very light and dry snow last night).

Make it a point to get out into the Gorge if you have some free time. Very pretty and the many falls will stay frozen on the OR side (Shaded). Good idea to head eastbound on SR14 and view from a distance, then westbound on I-84 (Scenic highway as open, but very ez to loop back to Vista House from Corbett) . Catch sunset from Crown Point Vista house, then head to McMenamins Edgefield (Troutdale) to get your "Portland-eclectic " experience. I don't drink their type of brews, but I enjoyed (2) History Pubs this week (One was on Crown Point Vista House). https://www.mcmenamins.com/find?tag=history

If interested... they have a nice movie theater and a billiards room under the lodge.
https://www.mcmenamins.com/theater.aspx?id=235
https://www.mcmenamins.com/edgefield

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-01-2019 at 12:02 PM..

Old 03-01-2019, 11:54 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
That looks awful! The sunny days are basically 20s and 30s with a moderate breeze. Followed up by rainy and 40's. No thanks!
Not sure what chart you're looking at, but the one the OP posted says the sunny days are mostly in the mid-40's to low 50's. NorCal people are used to that, in the winter. Sure it's a little colder in the early mornings, but not in the 20's, except in very exceptional weather events. The same is true for much of Western WA.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 03-01-2019 at 12:25 PM..

Old 03-01-2019, 12:45 PM

5,452 posts, read 7,749,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
It is sunny today and 46. Beautiful day to be out and about.

Old 03-01-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'd say that's about par for the course. Out of that period, you have 5 days of rain predicted. Most of the time, it's either overcast or rainy, with a whopping 4 days of full sun.

Also bear in mind, that it's March already; winter is almost over, and Seattle's heading into spring, which IMO is glorious in Seattle. "Glorious", because the bright sunny days, contrasting with the cloudy or rainy days as flowers start to bloom, are exhilarating! On those bright sunny days, you can really feel that everything is coming alive, and Spring is sproinging. You can really appreciate that bright sunshine (whereas in CA, it's just the same old, same old). You may get a taste of that, for your short visit.
Yes, Ruth. We've visited in spring and loved it. The intermingling of sun with some cloud and rain along with flowers starting to bloom is truly spectacular. Everything is so green. That's in part why the PNW is a nature photographer's dream location. So much beauty to see from the rugged coast to the many waterfalls, mountains and valleys.

I'm look forward to going to the tulip festivals. Also looking forward to the cherry blossoms blooming in different parts. Lot's of amazing wildflower locations in the spring. I've heard the Palouse is really amazing to see in the spring as well. Lots to see and do!

Derek

Old 03-01-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
It is sunny today and 46. Beautiful day to be out and about.
Yep, exactly!

Old 03-01-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Bring a range of coats (not including RAIN coats !)

Today is a "Colorado day".. (in the west Gorge)

24F and sunny. Shirt-sleeve weather while driving (Toasty in the 'terrarium' car), tho I have my 1970's era Camp 7 Down coat (Boulder based). Used my Frost-line vest (Boulder based) while sweeping 'Colorado-style' snow this AM. (Very light and dry snow last night).

Make it a point to get out into the Gorge if you have some free time. Very pretty and the many falls will stay frozen on the OR side (Shaded). Good idea to head eastbound on SR14 and view from a distance, then westbound on I-84 (Scenic highway as open, but very ez to loop back to Vista House from Corbett) . Catch sunset from Crown Point Vista house, then head to McMenamins Edgefield (Troutdale) to get your "Portland-eclectic " experience. I don't drink their type of brews, but I enjoyed (2) History Pubs this week (One was on Crown Point Vista House). https://www.mcmenamins.com/find?tag=history

If interested... they have a nice movie theater and a billiards room under the lodge.
https://www.mcmenamins.com/theater.aspx?id=235
https://www.mcmenamins.com/edgefield
Sounds like a nice Colorado style winter's day!

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area