Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 04:23 PM

103 posts, read 91,185 times

Advertisements

I assume that if I buy appliances or other major items and have them delivered into WA, the retailer will charge sales tax. Does anyone have specific experience with Lowes? I'm looking at purchasing a washer/dryer at Lowes and wanted to see if I bought them at the Troutdale Lowes and had them delivered in Camas, if they would charge sales tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 06:37 PM

467 posts, read 526,191 times
You are right if that you have Lowe’s deliver the appliance, you will pay sales tax. If you have it loaded into your own car/truck, you will avoid sales tax, but this brings on other problems of unloading it and installing. However, if you have a delivery company take possession of the washer/dryer, you will avoid sales tax, but have a delivery charge. It is pretty much a wash. Why don’t you just buy from Lowe’s in Vancouver, pay sales tax (and help out your public schools), and have Lowe’s deliver for free and install. When we moved here we bought appliances from Sears. They delivered and installed. Good thing we depended on them to deliver because it took 3 tries before we actually got what we ordered.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:50 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,233,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane917 View Post
You are right if that you have Lowe’s deliver the appliance, you will pay sales tax. If you have it loaded into your own car/truck, you will avoid sales tax, but this brings on other problems of unloading it and installing. However, if you have a delivery company take possession of the washer/dryer, you will avoid sales tax, but have a delivery charge. It is pretty much a wash. Why don’t you just buy from Lowe’s in Vancouver, pay sales tax (and help out your public schools), and have Lowe’s deliver for free and install. When we moved here we bought appliances from Sears. They delivered and installed. Good thing we depended on them to deliver because it took 3 tries before we actually got what we ordered.
Schools get the property tax, not sales.

But yeah unless you’ve got access to a truck/van to self deliver it will likely come out to a wash. Though there are little pop up appliance delivery businesses around that could likely be negotiated with for cash...but stiff them too hard and they may just take off with your appliance.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:02 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,728,481 times
These days I think its kind of a wash regarding which big box store you use. They all sell the same stuff. Lowes and Home Depot seem to have comparable customer service and return policies. Costco is better. Best Buy is worse.

I'd also check Costco. They have a lot of appliances online and will deliver/install for free. https://www.costco.com/laundry-appliances.html

Just bite the bullet and pay the tax. Unless you own a pickup it's not worth the hassle to try to buy across the river and find your own delivery method.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:27 PM

103 posts, read 91,185 times
I'm fine paying the tax in exchange for the delivery, I just wanted to see if there was some potential loophole I was missing that everyone else uses. Lowe's always gets my business on appliances since I buy lowes gift cards for 80-90 cents on the dollar and then use 10% off coupons, effectively saving almost 30%.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:01 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,728,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 182pilot View Post
I'm fine paying the tax in exchange for the delivery, I just wanted to see if there was some potential loophole I was missing that everyone else uses. Lowe's always gets my business on appliances since I buy lowes gift cards for 80-90 cents on the dollar and then use 10% off coupons, effectively saving almost 30%.
No loopholes. Any company that does business in WA (delivers to WA) is required to collect sales tax.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:24 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
For future readers,

You can pay your WA use tax / sales tax here:

https://dor.wa.gov/contact-us/local-offices/vancouver

Behind Target / north of Fourth Plain between Thurston and Andreson.

This office offers WA DOR classes / information sessions / auditors if you are doing business in WA.
Some of us spend way too much time at this office...

Old 11-16-2018, 01:35 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 182pilot View Post
We bought our new washer abd dryer from Lowe’s in Vancouver. It was delivered and installed without a hitch.

We used to pay both sales tax and state income tax in MO, by the way.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:41 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,233,399 times
You're also awful close to black friday sales. We're looking to pick up a fridge from Costco and see if they can hold delivery until the first week of Dec for our new place.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:21 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,574,835 times
For an expensive purchase, you can buy it on the Oregon side. Then contract with a third-party delivery service.

Concerning your washer and dryer, be sure to look at Speed Queen models -- which Lowes doesn't sell.

Speed Queen is American made and far more robust than the junk at Lowes. We have 2017 models and they are solid and work great. We bought the Speed Queens after having a brand-new Samsung washer from Lowes that failed within a year, followed by a nationwide Samsung recall. LG, Samsung are total junk. Do not buy, you will regret it.

So look to Speed Queen top loader and dryer; visit an independent appliance store that sells them. If you must buy from Lowes, then get Maytag. Note: there's been some issue with the new 2018 Speed Queen washer; it was redesigned to be more energy efficient. Most of the complaints concern the Eco setting. But no one uses Eco. Just put the Speed Queen washer on "heavy duty" and "large load" cycle and it will work fantastic (that's what we do).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
View detailed profiles of: