Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Washington: education, great schools, best students, teacher degree, hs diploma.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:45 AM

8 posts, read 54,729 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I'm a teacher and would like to give you another way to think about what makes a school/district good. Just my 2 cents, but sometimes it surprises me which schools are identified as being the "golden" ones.

1. Schools with high test scores typically have high test scores because students attending the school have parents high on the socio-economic scale, which translates into parents who have the time and resources to spend on their children. This time, attention, and resources at home is what I believe translates to high test scores, NOT the quality of instruction at the school. Many of the worst performing schools have some of the best teachers and even the worst teacher will "succeed" if placed with the right kids.

2. If you are on this forum reading this, chances are you are one of those parents who have time and resources to spend on your child. Your child will likely do well at ANY school with any teacher because of the great gift you've been able to give them.

3. More important in choosing a school (again in my humble opinion) is the atmosphere of the school, the principals attitude towards parents, children, and faculty, the classmates your child will be around, and the philosophy of education in the district.

4. With # 3 said, I can comment on some of the local districts.

A. Ridgefield--You will not find more wonderful, sweet people than the folks in Ridgefield. The children are sweet and respectful and come from predominantly 2 family homes. The teachers are genuine and work hard.
However, teachers are not always treated well by administration, and do not have strong contractual rights.

The elementary schools use Open Court in reading which is a heavily phonics based program. Everyone in class reads the same stories which means the story is too hard for some, too easy for some, and just right for but a few.

The math program is TERC or Investigations. It's highly conceptual and does a good job of teaching children to think for themselves. Students are able to reason very well mathmatically. BUT there are some serious holes, which do not always seem to be addressed.

Overall the district is rather traditional, and change comes very slowly.

B. Vancouver

Vancouver is a very top-down sort of district where teachers do not have a lot of professional freedom or voice. Vancouver used to be more literacy-based, but has recently swung back to a very traditional model of teaching reading called ReadWell which involves teachers following a precise script.

VSD has the support of it's clientle which means the schools are all beautiful and state of the art. Teachers have the supplies they need and technology is utilized well.

Teachers and leaders are chosen very meticoulously so the quality is very high wherever you go. I would feel comfortable sending my child to any school in the VSD (elementary), with the exception of the literacy program.

C. Evergreen

Evergreen has a great literacy program, where every elementary school has a fully stocked bookroom which allows teachers to choose books for every student both independently and for groups ON THEIR LEVEL. This is crucial for a good reading program. The K-2 bookrooms are stronger than the 3-5 bookrooms.

Evergreen treats it's employees well and (dependent upon building principal) there is generally a high degree of professional freedom (which means happy teachers.)

Evergreen technology is cutting edge with every classroom equipped with projector, VHS, DVD capabilties and document camera. Some classes have surround sound with help save teacher vocal cords.

There is a great emphasis in Evergreen elementary schools on school commun ity. There are often many, varied school-wide events which highlight or celebrate different aspects of the school community. There is also a high priority placed upon teacher colloboration. Teachers to a lot of planning as grade level teams.

I am not familiar with the other districts in the area to be of service. But some final parting advice. When choosing a school, ask yourself:

1-Do I agree with the overall instructional philosophy of the district?

2-Does the school principal seem geninely interested in students, staff, and parental input?

3-Is there a positive community feel to the school?

4-Talk to the PTA president and attend a PTA meeting. How much parental involvement is there? How much teacher involvement?

5-Will my child make positive healthy friendships here?

6-How do staff interactions seem? Are people happy and at ease with one another?

Best of luck to everyone finding a great school for their child. If anyone wants to tell about some great schools out there, feel free.

KariMichelle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 07:55 PM

3,991 posts, read 5,187,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KariMichelle View Post

Evergreen technology is cutting edge with every classroom equipped with projector, VHS, DVD capabilties and document camera. Some classes have surround sound with help save teacher vocal cords.
The kids love the surround sound too. Even the kid with the daintiest voice can be heard loud and clear. It really helps kids overcome shyness.

Another thing about Evergreen's technology, every school has computers. It isn't like other districts where the rich schools have them and the poor schools don't.

In this day and age, kids need to be comfortable with computers and Evergreen is making sure they will be.

Old 05-11-2008, 03:07 AM

10 posts, read 36,255 times
Default Thoughts on High School

Thank you for the information - very timely as we try to decide where in WA to settle (Vancouver, Olympia or Yakima). What are the high schools like in the communities you listed? Thank you

Old 05-11-2008, 07:18 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,801 posts, read 58,331,069 times
If HS is in your WA future choice, give some serious thought to "Running Start" (College / Jr College instead of HS for juniors and seniors... must take a test as HS sophomore to qualify) Thus you might want to consider access to college / jr college as well as HS in your destination

It really gives the kids a financial and academic head start, as well as getting them in the mode of being responsible for their own progress. Some students do it part-time and continue in HS also, others do full time and graduate with an associates + a HS degree. Some do a 'transfer program' to assure credits apply to their Bachelor's program of choice. The education was exceptional for our kids and many others we know of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area