Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2008, 11:09 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,503,462 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
We moved to the Vancouver area from Nashville, Tennessee a few months ago and are renting a home in Camas. While we really do like Camas we are considering buying in Hockinson (Brush Prairie) instead. It seems to us that the schools may be smaller and we miss the rural setting we had in TN. So a few questions about the area.

Is it possible to buy a nice house on a little land (1+ acre) in Hockinson for less than 500K?

Do you think housing values will hold in Hockinson? It seems like a long commute for people who work in Portland (my husband works in Vancouver) and I wondered if that would affect our ability to sell if we had to?

I've read that it tends to be a little more conservative up there. This is fine with us (we thought we were liberal until we moved here and met real liberals!) but we just want to be sure that our children, who are Asian, won't have any issues at school etc. I realize that's probably a silly question but there are definitely schools in TN I wouldn't have sent them to for this reason so I just want to make sure.

Any other thoughts about the area are also appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 01:27 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,751 posts, read 58,116,312 times
<$500k - Yes, pm me if you want a contact for a 'no-pressure' realtor who will send you a daily update. I have him scanning a few counties for me. I would also find a friendly banker / loan guy that could lead you to some 'pre-foreclosures' or distressed sales, or even 'pre-listing' sales. I would get real busy looking as stuff is gonna flood the market soon (spring). I get my best deals between Jan and March, as folks need to sell for tax season, or to get a jump on the spring rush. We had friends who recently bought a Hockinson home from a elderly couple on 1 acre with 24x36 shop for under $300k. It needed some updates, but is EZ commute and a nice place (gardens, shrubs, mature landscape, circle drive).

The prop values will hold in Hockinson in spite of the commute due to desirable schools.
I would try to stay on the Brush Prairie (west) or southern side of district to ease commute and improve resale potential. I don't care for the narrow / hilly roads up there.

Coming from TN I think you might be more at home in Hockinson (especially if we get a cold and windy winter, which this has not been), and typically it is more conservative, tho Camas is not too liberal. Be prepared to meet some FAR lefty's out here, but WA is much mellower than OR, we seem to tolerate / respect views. OR is a bit more forceful that you ACCEPT / embrace them. (west side + 'the new' Bend / Sisters). BTW, if you want a classy dose of conservative, plan a trip to Lynden, WA (Very north, beyond Bellingham) I've had SWWA friends move there just to get their kids through the schools. It is a fun Dutch town but totally closes down on Sundays. Plan your trip, enjoy a festival or combine it with Mt Vernon Tulip fest / or Bellingham events, and include a trip to Vancouver BC (bring your passports !) All of that is quite fun. We stay in guest homes and get to meet nice folks, and sometimes help with the farm chores.
(for closer tulip fields check out "Woodburn, OR" (1 hr south) or even Woodland, WA (near Lilac Gardens) Time is close so don't miss it, it is really spectacular to see huge fields of tulips. Then, prepare soon for the Rhodie Gardens in Portland. One week before Mother's day is usually good, but maybe later this "chilly year".
Portland Parks & Recreation :: Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden
Go during a warm weekday evening, the kids will love it too. (Free Tues & Wed). We often cap the evening with a cheap waterfront meal at "The ole Spagetti Factory" on Macadam (John's Landing, take Sellwood bridge from Rhodie Garden, turn right at Blue Roof (Spaghetti Fact) / before OHSU tram)

Asian kids should not be hassled in SWWA, as we have a pretty broad cross-section and appreciate the diversity. Ridgefield and Woodland used to have some ethnic bias, but I imagine that has changed. We have some excellent community contributors of Asian descent. There were local 'fruit and veggie' farmers who were sent to internment camps and later came back, and many more in other skilled trades and professional jobs who have been quite beneficial and accepted into the community.

Good luck

janb

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 04-17-2008 at 01:36 AM..

Old 04-17-2008, 09:16 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,503,462 times
Thanks janb! Great post, really appreciate it. We are still waiting for our house to sell in TN but once it does I will be more aggressive about looking. Thanks again!

Old 04-18-2008, 12:39 PM

44 posts, read 187,967 times
Hi,

We have lived in both Camas and Hockinson and have loved them both and so did our kids. Yes, you can purchase a home in Hockinson in that range. We just showed a great home in Hockinson with a backyard that looked like a park with a 4 car garage and was under 400K. This area has traditionally kept its value. The schools are great and there is a great community spirit.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,751 posts, read 58,116,312 times
Here is a recent article on Hockinson, pretty much reflects the community. (your mileage may vary)

Neighborhood focus: Hockinson- Columbian.com, Clark County, Washington, Vancouver, Breaking News, U.S., World, Entertainment, Video, Weather, Sports (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area