Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2008, 12:48 PM

8,224 posts, read 16,750,447 times

Advertisements

I am considering living in the Vancouver area and will need to work in Portland. I have heard the I-5 is really bad at rush hour. How does it compare to the I-205? Since I work in IT most of the jobs in my field seems to be on the west side of Portland (Silicon Forest).

Although there are many positives to living in WA I am not sure if the daily commute would make it worth it. If you have or currently do this commute please do tell.

We will be flying out there next week to check things out on both sides of the Gorge. The areas in WA we are looking at are Salmon Creek, Hazel Dell & Lake Shore. Then on the east side the Fisher Landing area looks interesting. But probably a bit far for a Portland commute unless working on the east side.

Thanks for feedback on the commute. Personal experience would especially be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 01:36 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,864,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I am considering living in the Vancouver area and will need to work in Portland. I have heard the I-5 is really bad at rush hour. How does it compare to the I-205? Since I work in IT most of the jobs in my field seems to be on the west side of Portland (Silicon Forest).

Although there are many positives to living in WA I am not sure if the daily commute would make it worth it. If you have or currently do this commute please do tell.

We will be flying out there next week to check things out on both sides of the Gorge. The areas in WA we are looking at are Salmon Creek, Hazel Dell & Lake Shore. Then on the east side the Fisher Landing area looks interesting. But probably a bit far for a Portland commute unless working on the east side.

Thanks for feedback on the commute. Personal experience would especially be appreciated.
The I-5 commute is bad and not likely to get better any time soon - ODOT is currently widening I-5 just past Delta park where it necks down into 2 lanes. Most of the work will be nights, but you can expect the usual traffic disruption even when they aren't active. Likewise, the I-5 bridge is due for an overhaul - no agreement on what the overhaul should be, or when it'll start, or how much it'll cost, but you can expect something which will tie traffic up for years before it's done.

Unless you live on the east side, taking I-205 into Portland (connecting to I-84 and then downtown) is too far out of the way. When we were living in Vancouver and the spouse had to commute to Beaverton for conferences, it was an hour plus in and an hour and a half back (at peak commute time; less if you can be in before 7 and out before 2:30).

If you're set on living in Vancouver, it'd be worth it to take a Vancouver job with a pay cut, or a job on the east side of Portland (with no pay cut, because you'll have to pay Oregon taxes).

Old 05-04-2008, 02:04 PM

Thanks PNW-typ-gal. I am concerned about that whole I-5 construction fiasco. Maybe one day all the construction will improve things, especially the bridge. But even being optimistic that would seem to be a long way away. Hmm...

I guess for practical purposes living on the east side of Vancouver and using the I-205 makes the most sense. Is the I-205 bridge not as bad in comparison?

Old 05-04-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Thanks PNW-typ-gal. I am concerned about that whole I-5 construction fiasco. Maybe one day all the construction will improve things, especially the bridge. But even being optimistic that would seem to be a long way away. Hmm...

I guess for practical purposes living on the east side of Vancouver and using the I-205 makes the most sense. Is the I-205 bridge not as bad in comparison?
The I-205 bridge is twice as wide, with modern off-ramps (it was built in the early 80s), unlike I-5's often "hard right" off-ramps. If you're headed to downtown from the east side, the bottleneck will be the I-205 merge getting on I-84 west bound, and then stop and go somewhere from before the Lloyd Center exit to I-5. If you're headed out to Beaverton, the next bottleneck will be the 405 merge, through the Sunset Tunnel (which is now slow both directions in the morning and evening).

If you think you'll be working in Beaverton, I'd really rethink living in Vancouver. Downtown Portland is still doable from Vancouver, but Beaverton's really not, unless you can swing off-hours somehow.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:12 PM

3,988 posts, read 5,183,946 times
The commute sucks. Going from Vancouver to Beaverton or Hillsboro will not only take over an hour, but the gas cost will hurt too. Some of the employers out there have flexible starting hours so their employees can avoid driving at rush hours. See if they will let you do that. You could also take MAX light rail, although you'll still have to get across I-5 bridge to get to the nearest boarding station.

Vancouver has some IT jobs in the area. Check out the east side near Camas. Also check the county sites, they always seem to be looking for IT people.

Don't forget, even though you live in Washington, Oregon will take a chunk of your paycheck for income taxes.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
The commute sucks. Going from Vancouver to Beaverton or Hillsboro will not only take over an hour, but the gas cost will hurt too. Some of the employers out there have flexible starting hours so their employees can avoid driving at rush hours. See if they will let you do that. You could also take MAX light rail, although you'll still have to get across I-5 bridge to get to the nearest boarding station.

Vancouver has some IT jobs in the area. Check out the east side near Camas. Also check the county sites, they always seem to be looking for IT people.

Don't forget, even though you live in Washington, Oregon will take a chunk of your paycheck for income taxes.
I'd a friend who lived in Camas and took a job at Nike, thinking he could take the bus or drive to Gateway and take Max in. But because Max (the light rail) in not an express, the light rail ride (at peak) was more than an hour, plus the ride to Gateway from the Fisher's Landing Transit Center.

The spouse figured he could take a 15% pay cut to work in Vancouver, between commuting costs, Oregon tax, "paying" himself for the time he no longer spent in transit.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:50 AM

Thanks all,

I need to hear those stories of the nasty commutes for a reality check. I am also looking into the Lake Oswego/West Linn area which seems to be pretty centrally located. It also has awesome scenery and natural beauty of the Willamette River. Our family loves the outdoors especially water and hiking. So that may end up being a better fit for us, especially since I don't know which part of Portland I will end up working in.

The commute is not everything and I am willing to put up with 'some' traffic. But I don't want to doing grueling commutes daily either. This also reduces quality of life. Now I can wake up earlier usually and get out earlier. But with loads of traffic that only works to a certain degree.

Thanks again for the input!

- Derek

Old 05-07-2008, 11:42 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,795 posts, read 58,282,396 times
alternative...
work from home 2days a week,
or work ''off shift'' hours.

There are a few colleges in N Portland where I have friends doing IT. Free college for their kids is a good incentive. But, generally I recommend folks to live near their work if possible to have more time at home. The commute time is of little value and can cost a lot in $$ and stress, wear and tear on body and car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
View detailed profiles of: