Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 12:18 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,972,260 times

Advertisements

I posted a similar thread, but didn't get many responses. I figured I'd try to word it a little different.

I'm trying to convince my friend in Vancouver to come be my roommate here in NYC. Now remember, not all of NYC is Manhattan--there are 4 other boroughs that are cheaper, like where I live in Queens. Anyway, I've never been out there to the PNW, so I want to see if anyone has lived both places. Or at the very least, has visited NYC a few times (within the past 10 years--I say that b/c NYC has drastically changed in the past 20 years) and thinks they know the city. I want to know some differences and similarities.

To share an apartment, it would be about $600. She is going for her MA license, if that helps. I'm not sure what she makes now, but she has her own apartment that she rents there in Vancouver and works in Portland. She said she's desperate to get out of the PNW.

moderator action: the following is the opening post of the first/initial thread.

I have a friend who I'm trying to convince a move to NYC. She lives in Vancouver and works in Portland. She said she's miserable in the PNW and knows she should move and make a change. She grew up as a military brat, so she's lived all over, including different parts in the southeast and Chicago. I know she loves Chicago. She's just finishing up her MA certification, so she would probably do that here. I know money is probably tight, but I told her that if we're roommates, we can make it work (hey, I've only spent about $200 in 2 1/2 months on food and entertainment. Anyone can make it work). Rent would be about $500-600 for a share in Queens. I'm talking about the outerboroughs, by the way, not Manhattan. It's cheaper where I am.

I know nothing about Vancouver as far as the city itself and the cost of living, so I'm hoping you could give some opinions so I can convince her to move here. Her main concern is money. Thanks in advance for the help :-)

Last edited by scirocco22; 08-30-2007 at 10:24 PM.. Reason: merged threads ...I don't want to have multiple threads on the same subject if possible. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 08:38 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,198,667 times
What part of Queens?

Old 08-16-2007, 09:44 PM

Any part really. I live in the Maspeth/Woodside area.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:12 PM

43 posts, read 183,424 times
Moving from Vancouver cost wise is going to be a real SHOCK when you arrive in 1 of the most expensive parts of the whole USA to live. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, except a Liberal.

Last edited by Judy & Randy; 08-19-2007 at 10:36 PM..

Old 08-21-2007, 03:52 PM

177 posts, read 848,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy & Randy View Post
Moving from Vancouver cost wise is going to be a real SHOCK when you arrive in 1 of the most expensive parts of the whole USA to live. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, except a Liberal.
Hey - I'm a Liberal - and I, too, wouldn't wish it on anyone. Moving from a place that is "sleepy" in comparison to the NY Metro is more than tough - it can be downright debilitating. I would, seriously, question this drastic of a move.

Note: I lived in NYC for, nearly, ten years. It was a great place to be when I was younger - but I would never, ever, even consider a move back - not even back to the outer areas of Queens.

Sorry if that sounds harsh. It's not meant to be. It's just meant to be honest.

eileen

Old 08-21-2007, 04:11 PM

506 posts, read 2,578,111 times
NYC is awesome but you need to have $$$.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:34 PM

Yeah, but is $500 a month for a 2 bedroom share considered a lot compared to Vancouver? It's possible to find one like that here in NYC. I spend about $30 a week for myself on food too. I just budget a lot. I've only managed to spend about $300 all summer between entertainment and food.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:42 AM

506 posts, read 2,578,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Yeah, but is $500 a month for a 2 bedroom share considered a lot compared to Vancouver? It's possible to find one like that here in NYC. I spend about $30 a week for myself on food too. I just budget a lot. I've only managed to spend about $300 all summer between entertainment and food.
Are you living right in Manhattan?? Queens/Bronx/Long Island are different. I think most people in NY will spend $300 a week or every two weeks easily. I have a few friends that live there that tell me if you're not making at LEAST $300k/yr you won't be enjoying what NYC has to offer (I think they make almost twice that).

Old 08-23-2007, 12:47 AM

309 posts, read 366,366 times
Haven't been to NYC in many years....1985....but I personally, would NEVER, EVER wish to live anywhere around that rat race of a megalopolis!
A multi-million dollar salary couldn't get me to move there!
Guess you gotta love being surrounded by MILLIONS & MILLIONS of people and love city life and if you do....NYC is perfect!
Chicago....been there too....WAAY too big also.
Can't blame her for wanting out of Vancouver though. Personally....if I live in the Portland-metro area....its on the Oregon side of the river.
Far UPSTATE NY would probably be cool to me though....like Saranac Lake....but hey......where's all the people?
Ahh....to each..... his/her own.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline View Post
Are you living right in Manhattan?? Queens/Bronx/Long Island are different. I think most people in NY will spend $300 a week or every two weeks easily. I have a few friends that live there that tell me if you're not making at LEAST $300k/yr you won't be enjoying what NYC has to offer (I think they make almost twice that).

I live in Queens, where it's actually cheaper than where I grew up on Long Island, believe it or not. The rents in Queens (in NYC) are cheaper than what they are on Long Island (you know, the suburbs east of the city). The Bronx, forget that area, 90% of the Bronx is bad. Brooklyn is almost as expensive as Manhattan. Staten Island is too far out of the way. So, that really leaves Queens for the best budget. If someone doesn't go out all the time and doesn't need to go out and have a few beers every now and then, they can save a whoollleee lot of money. I don't party or drink; when I do go out, I just go and do free things. So for that reason, I really don't spend that much money on entertainment. So most of my money goes towards food. As long as you budget and not go out too much, you're fine. I had $500 in my bank this entire summer and like I said, I've only managed to spend about $250 all summer since mid June.

So what are the differences/similarities between Vancouver and NYC? I want you all to remember that Queens is different than Manhattan--many people think of Manhattan when they think of NYC. The outerboroughs are way more spread out, especially the sections that are closer to the suburbs. So ignoring the economic differences, how would you say they're similar and different?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area