Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 02:12 PM

13,065 posts, read 7,500,158 times

Advertisements

www.McMenamins.com reservations highly recommended for rooms. Reasonable and unusual. Clean. Shared baths.
Crystal Palace on Burnside, across from Whole Foods, couple of blocks from Powell Books.
Edgefield, in Troutdale. #77 (?) Bus and MAX lightrail.
Saturday Market,
https://www.hubers.com they advertise "upscale" but I find their Turkey meals are very traditional and famous claim to fame.
NWConnector.org to coast from Amtrak station (traveling as a single). I went to see my sister in PC last month, $32 RT.

Last edited by leastprime; 09-11-2019 at 02:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 02:15 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,733,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossa View Post
Thank you, texasdiver. There is really no point of going to the Oregon Coast and eat at Denny's. I meant more like places where the food is worth the price.
My point is that any place that fits that description is going to have to target tourists to stay in business. Or at least people driving over from Portland on the weekends which may or may not be tourists depending on your definition.

Old 09-11-2019, 02:20 PM

203 posts, read 165,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
My point is that any place that fits that description is going to have to target tourists to stay in business. Or at least people driving over from Portland on the weekends which may or may not be tourists depending on your definition.
You are absolutely correct. My understanding is that most of the coastal economy there is tourist-based. Just not thinking it through before asking I guess.

Old 09-11-2019, 02:21 PM

Thank you for recommendations, leastprime.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:24 PM

467 posts, read 526,294 times
There are many fine places to eat on the coast. Recommendations would depend on where you end up. We love coastal dining in Newport, Depoe Bay, Gleneden, Florence, Yachats, Astoria. Seaside also has a few good places. IMHO, Canon Beach is nothing like Laguna Beach. For one thing, you can find a parking spot. Canon Beach is crowded in the summer, particularly on weekends, because it is so close to Portland. After Labor Day it is very pleasant. And then there is the WA peninsula, our favorite relaxation destination. There are many restaurants on the Peninsula we regularly visit.

IMO, Restaurant Beck in the Whale Cove Inn in Depoe Bay is one of the finest dining places on the coast. Finer than many places in Portland. Or The Depot in Seaview on the WA Peninsula.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:11 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,733,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane917 View Post
There are many fine places to eat on the coast. Recommendations would depend on where you end up. We love coastal dining in Newport, Depoe Bay, Gleneden, Florence, Yachats, Astoria. Seaside also has a few good places. IMHO, Canon Beach is nothing like Laguna Beach. For one thing, you can find a parking spot. Canon Beach is crowded in the summer, particularly on weekends, because it is so close to Portland. After Labor Day it is very pleasant. And then there is the WA peninsula, our favorite relaxation destination. There are many restaurants on the Peninsula we regularly visit.

IMO, Restaurant Beck in the Whale Cove Inn in Depoe Bay is one of the finest dining places on the coast. Finer than many places in Portland. Or The Depot in Seaview on the WA Peninsula.
I looked up Restaurant Beck because I hadn't heard of it and wow...looks pretty upscale and pricy. They don't post a menu online so it's one of those places.

Yes, Canon Beach isn't like Laguna which is more or less on the suburban edge of LA. What Canon Beach *tries* to be is essentially the Oregon version of Carmel by the Sea. But there isn't really enough concentration of wealth here to really make it that exclusive.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:17 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,022,681 times
If stormy, the coast is great for storm watching. Cliffs, even better. a popular spot of old was Surfrider in Lincoln City. We also liked Otter Crest during storms (and Depot Bay area)

Rain pants... I wear out a lot of them (I am patching roofs, laying under tractors, pruning trees, wrestling with livestock... not your typical 'hike' / stroll. Biking will get you well soaked (and cold.

For raingear I use Helly Hansen
I don't purposely shop in Oregon, but I see there is now a HH outlet in Woodburn; https://www.mallscenters.com/brands/...remium-outlets

(There was one in Bend many yrs ago, I used to buy in HH Centralia, WA, but looks like they now have (2) HH stores near Seattle
Fisherman's Supply and West Marine have bood rain gear (Jantzen Beach / Hayden Island, OR/ just south of Vancouver, WA interstate bridge)

www.McMenamins.com ... look for 'events'. I like to attend History Pubs which they host in conjunction with Oregon Historical Society (a very good museum across from Portland Art Museum., good for a rainy day)

Portland is good for 'Happy Hours' and food trucks and local events.

Check Hollywood Theater for events as well.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:53 PM

467 posts, read 526,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
I looked up Restaurant Beck because I hadn't heard of it and wow...looks pretty upscale and pricy. They don't post a menu online so it's one of those places.

Yes, Canon Beach isn't like Laguna which is more or less on the suburban edge of LA. What Canon Beach *tries* to be is essentially the Oregon version of Carmel by the Sea. But there isn't really enough concentration of wealth here to really make it that exclusive.
Restaurant Beck is pricey and we save it for that special occasion. It is situated above tiny Whale Cove anfpd twice we have watched whales playing in the cove. The cove does not even look big enough for a whale, but there are seals in the cove they come looking for. Every time we have been (we can find lots of reasons for special occasions) we have ordered the 5 course tasting menu. We have left stuffed. The owner/chef has another more casual restaurant at Nye Beach named Sorelia’s. He named Beck for his son and had to open another for his daughter. Sorelia’s is more of a pasta/pizza/beer/wine place.

Old 09-11-2019, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
If stormy, the coast is great for storm watching. Cliffs, even better. a popular spot of old was Surfrider in Lincoln City. We also liked Otter Crest during storms (and Depot Bay area)

Rain pants... I wear out a lot of them (I am patching roofs, laying under tractors, pruning trees, wrestling with livestock... not your typical 'hike' / stroll. Biking will get you well soaked (and cold.

For raingear I use Helly Hansen
I don't purposely shop in Oregon, but I see there is now a HH outlet in Woodburn; https://www.mallscenters.com/brands/...remium-outlets

(There was one in Bend many yrs ago, I used to buy in HH Centralia, WA, but looks like they now have (2) HH stores near Seattle
Fisherman's Supply and West Marine have bood rain gear (Jantzen Beach / Hayden Island, OR/ just south of Vancouver, WA interstate bridge)

www.McMenamins.com ... look for 'events'. I like to attend History Pubs which they host in conjunction with Oregon Historical Society (a very good museum across from Portland Art Museum., good for a rainy day)

Portland is good for 'Happy Hours' and food trucks and local events.

Check Hollywood Theater for events as well.
Yes! Thank you StealthRabbit. Reading your previous posts I remember you mentioning some specific brand of rain gear, but couldn’t remember what it was. i’ll Be in Woodburn, so will definitely check their stores.

In general, thank you so much all of you guys and girls for taking your time and answering questions, most of which you already answered many times before. Just wanted to let you know that your information and local knowledge are very much appreciated and needed.

Last edited by Mossa; 09-11-2019 at 11:28 PM..

Old 09-12-2019, 03:51 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,575,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossa View Post
And as to the rain gear. I was thinking I’d probably need a jacket with hood and pants. Honestly, while I have some experience with rain jackets, I have zero experience with rain pants. Any tips or things I should be paying attention to while picking this stuff? Useful features, materials, things to avoid. Basically i’d Be using it for day hikes or just to be able to spend time outdoors in the rain and stay dry and comfy. I’m a female, in case it makes any difference.
For a quality hooded rain jacket, pick up one of Columbia's Outdry jackets. I generally stick to Columbia's Titanium Outdry line. They are excellent rainproof/waterproof jackets. You don't need to treat or condition the Outdry jackets, they are permanently waterproof fabrics/laminates, and the outermost layer is the waterproof layer (this is different than "waterproof" gear from years past). The Columbia gear will have robust zippers, seam seals and seam tape -- no rain/water is getting in, you'll be very happy with them. They do cost a bit, these aren't cheapo jackets. I also picked up a pair of Columbia's Titanium Outdry sneakers -- they are amazing in the rain.

Whatever you buy, make sure it's a permanently waterproof material or laminate that doesn't require you to put on a coating. Some "waterproof" clothing of years past really sucked, like Gore-Tex or REI Elements. Once the water-resistant coating wore off on these things, the garments were sponges. And you'd have to reapply the coating at home, it was a pain in the arse to put on, and the home application was never as good as the initial factory application. Really hated Gore-Tex, it's junk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area