Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 01:41 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,703,091 times

Advertisements

I saw my first bald eagle yesterday while paddling on the Columbia. It flew right in front of me then sat in a high tree and watched me paddle by. I've heard of others seeing them, but hadn't until now. Although there was a large bird that flew by me with a fish its mouth the other day. It just didn't have the white feathers that one thinks of when spotting a bald eagle.

Here are a few cellphone shots from yesterday. Wish I had a zoom lens with me.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2019, 01:59 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
We see them especially when the fish are running in our creek. When the salmon are running in the major rivers sometime you can spot dozens at once. We have two trees in our pasture we call "the eagle trees" that are the tallest trees around. They don't nest there but they do roost there and eat there, and sit and survey their domain...

I too, wish I had a better zoom lens for these
Attached Thumbnails
Bald eagles - do you see them often?-img_1621.jpg   Bald eagles - do you see them often?-img_1438.jpg  

Old 12-07-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
We see them especially when the fish are running in our creek. When the salmon are running in the major rivers sometime you can spot dozens at once. We have two trees in our pasture we call "the eagle trees" that are the tallest trees around. They don't nest there but they do roost there and eat there, and sit and survey their domain...

I too, wish I had a better zoom lens for these
Wow, so many!! That's really cool to see I bet.

Thanks for posting your pics, Diana.

Old 12-07-2019, 02:40 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,725 posts, read 58,067,115 times
We have a pair of bald eagles nesting nearby. See them often.

Not quite like living on Thetis Island BC.... Where the balds would sit on the deck railing and taunt the cat. And they would steal your fish if you turned your back. We would watch the eagle kids (4) get trained in flight and hunting. Started out with 14 ducklings, then there were 12.... Eventually only 2 made it. Eagle kids are very 'adolescent' looking and acting. Nice lesson to watch nature mature them. Much like training our own kids... Things get real ugly at times! But... Progress is coming.

Old 12-07-2019, 04:30 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,499,383 times
Love the pics of the bald-headed eagles you guys. A place we used to see them in Washington state was up in Skagit County all along the Skagit River. It's these kinds of things that Washington is famous for. Love those kinds of things about Washington state.

Now let's get the Seattle Supersonic's back and quit dinking around.

Old 12-08-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
We have a pair of bald eagles nesting nearby. See them often.

Not quite like living on Thetis Island BC.... Where the balds would sit on the deck railing and taunt the cat. And they would steal your fish if you turned your back. We would watch the eagle kids (4) get trained in flight and hunting. Started out with 14 ducklings, then there were 12.... Eventually only 2 made it. Eagle kids are very 'adolescent' looking and acting. Nice lesson to watch nature mature them. Much like training our own kids... Things get real ugly at times! But... Progress is coming.
That must have been pretty amazing to watch, StealthRabbit. Talk about entertainment in nature, no screen required.

Derek

Old 12-08-2019, 02:47 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Yep, have a pair in our backyard as well.

Old 12-08-2019, 03:01 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,979,734 times
Love the pictures!

We see them around our house all the time. A couple of days ago, one flew low right over my car as I was leaving the driveway. Sometimes they drop bits of salmon from the river. There are often one or two in the trees outside the living room window. It's always a thrill to see them, never gets old.

Old 12-08-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Love the pictures!

We see them around our house all the time. A couple of days ago, one flew low right over my car as I was leaving the driveway. Sometimes they drop bits of salmon from the river. There are often one or two in the trees outside the living room window. It's always a thrill to see them, never gets old.

Wow, how cool is that!?! Where do you live, oldgardener? You've got me curious.

Derek

Old 12-08-2019, 03:23 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,979,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post

Wow, how cool is that!?! Where do you live, oldgardener? You've got me curious.

Derek

Western Washington, by a river and a stream. Eagles perch in the trees all the time, watching for fish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area