Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2009, 12:19 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,304,440 times

Advertisements

I currently live in East Vancouver and was wondering if it's worth the commute everyday back in forth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 02:49 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
45 min....from E. Vancouver. The drive is beautiful and always changing, but BE CAREFUL, if you expect to ever hurry... It is a stretch I've been stopped on several times for 58mph in a 55 zone. I'd move to Home Valley (better weather, slightly east of Stevenson).

I do the commute a few times / week to enjoy the $2.35 swimming pool at HS, but I'm halfway there compared to Vanc.

A few days / yr the roads would not be great, perhaps closed. But SR 14 usually stays open, even if I-84 Closes.

I like the people in Stevenson, and gov is friendly. There are plenty of Skamaniacs but usually back in the woods a bit. I think you have kids, so schools might be an issue. Mt Pleasant and Skamania Schools (single school elementary ONLY districts) have suffered recent issues, so lots of folks transferred or home schooled. Go spend some time at Stevenson Library and meet up with some other parents to get a better feel. I know several families in Carson, but they all home school.

If you get to Stevenson, convince the locals to build a 'Community' health club adjacent to the swimming pool, there is an unused tennis court that would work just swell. Make it a 'cooperatively owned / operated' joint with a 99 yr 'lease-back to school', to calm the fears of school / community. It would be a superb addition to the community. Try to get it done before there is an issue with 'competition' (commercial gym). That torpedoed our community efforts in Vancouver. There are not enough 'health conscious, or affluent' individuals in Stevenson to support private pay club. North Bonneville has struggled with that for several years. Not sure if the club there is still operating.

Lots of Cheap property in North Bonneville at the moment, including many repos. It is a very pretty spot, but continually windy.

BTW, I heard Baileys gym (E vanc) was offering some bargain rates recently.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:49 PM

I made the drive yesterday to Stevenson and was very scenic, but hilly, windy, and lots of curves.
I decided against taking the offer. I just bought a home here in East Vancouver about a year ago.

Baileys gym or Bally's?
I never heard of Baileys, anyways what kind of bargains.
I recently joined Bally's, but plan to cancel. The equipment is too old
and place is always crowded.
Thanks Janb!

Old 03-05-2009, 03:39 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Probably Bally's, (I think its the one on 164th). My kid mentioned it, as his employer was offering $70 memberships.

Hopefully you can find something closer than Stevenson, tho I highly recommend the pool I can't do any impact sports since I wrenched my ankle about 30 ys ago on a 'non-Worker's comp' job. I do try to get in 100-200 lengths of the pool every time I show up. (Frequently there are only 3 of us there)

Old 03-05-2009, 09:09 PM

It sure is nice to swim where it's not crowded...
$70 a year or month?
I am paying $40 a month which includes kids club.
But not happy with the club.
It would be nice to have a Lifetime Fitness, as
i heard the place is like a resort.
None of the clubs here in East Vancouver do me
justice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area