Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2010, 12:52 AM

483 posts, read 555,884 times

Advertisements

I currently live and work in S. Florida. I have a vacation home in the Poconos of Pennsylvania where I grew up. But I'm considering a change. I'm interestd if there is a high elevation area with views (in northwest Wa) that would be cooler in the summer where I'd be able to leave the home vacant for half the year. Is there anywhere in this area that would fit the bill? I have enough warm weather when I'm in Florida in the winter months.

I'd also like something in a smaller town setting. Of course we all want the lowest property taxes we can find. Local income taxes would not be an issue as I wouldn't be working in Wa state. It looks like the summers can get pretty hot in some of these areas. That surpises me. Last summer in the Poconos we didn't get above 80 but once or twice. I like below 80 in the summer and not needing AC. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 11:05 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
If you are asking about Northwest Washington, you need to post in the general Washington thread. This forum is for the city of Vancouver, Washington, in Southwest Washington, just over the river from Portland, Oregon.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:52 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galagaone View Post
Of course we all want the lowest property taxes we can find. Local income taxes would not be an issue as I wouldn't be working in Wa state. It looks like the summers can get pretty hot in some of these areas. That surpises me. Last summer in the Poconos we didn't get above 80 but once or twice. I like below 80 in the summer and not needing AC. Thanks

We don't have have a state income tax. So it wouldn't be an issue either way.

It's hotter in Eastern WA. However in Western WA, we have perhaps a weeklong (or less) heat stretch where it gets into the 90s. Last summer, Seattle hit 101 which ended up setting records. But otherwise, it's always in the comfortable range of 70s-80s. Most homes do not have A/C.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:22 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
In SWWA that location would be Troutlake, WA (North of White Salmon, WA / Hood River, OR) and about 2 Hrs from PDX airport. This is nice due to proximity of 'tax free shopping' (oregon) and great wilderness area nearby (Mt Adams + Mt St Helens). Closest downhill skiiing will be Mt Hood Meadows ~ 1 hr south,

For central WA, Leavenworth would be a natural choice (about 2 hrs from SEA-TAC)

For NW WA, around the base of Mt Baker, probably Deming or Welcome, tho for a significant town with a great summer weather, nice view, many more services, stable home values, and chance to rent your home in the winter (tax free) you might be more happy with Bellingham. (near Vancouver BC ~ 45 min)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area