Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2010, 10:47 AM

241 posts, read 713,895 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of purchasing a lakeside condo as an investment in Kelowna. My thoughts are that this is an area where people with money go to enjoy the weather, the wine tours, etc. and that this should support the vacation property market even in a poorer economy.

Any thoughts on the area's real estate?

It would be in a strata complex right on the lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 11:46 PM

746 posts, read 1,679,009 times
You want to rent it out....?
Might get some people from Calgary, or the odd american coming up, but it's hard.
A friend of mine tried that, and one of his two places sat empty much of the year.
There is people with money, but most people buy their own places and go visit them a few times a year. I've personally never really heard of folks renting out their properties to other folks too much.

Best of luck.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:58 PM

24 posts, read 140,469 times
Default Sorry, it is already too late to invest in Kelowna

If you did that in 2004-2005, and sold in 2008-2009, you would be doing very well.

Lakeside condos are not cheap. You may end up paying $400+ monthly condo fees. Tourist season is June-August. You will have your condo empty for the rest of the year. For the last a couple of years, the number of tourists to Kelowna has gone down sharply.

The property value in Kelowna area has been dropped 30% and is still dropping. Lots of people are stuck and can't sell their houses.

K-town had a couple of boom and bust in the past. We are in the down phase right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveydoe View Post
I am thinking of purchasing a lakeside condo as an investment in Kelowna. My thoughts are that this is an area where people with money go to enjoy the weather, the wine tours, etc. and that this should support the vacation property market even in a poorer economy.

Any thoughts on the area's real estate?

It would be in a strata complex right on the lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver