Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2012, 09:10 AM

72 posts, read 157,234 times

Advertisements

Here is the skinny...I'm an American citizen wanting to reunite with my Canadian spouse in BC, but I am finding the job market for teachers to be VERY HARD to get into. I've applied for private, public, teacher on call, EVERYTHING. I have certification and ten years worth of experience here in the states, but I can't seem to get any board/school to call me back regarding my resumes/letters/references. I'm following up with emails, phone calls, you name it, but am finding it rather discouraging. I've never had a problem getting teaching (full-time/contract) work in ten years and my references are superb. Any tips?

My spouse and I have been apart for a year because of America's homophobic/discrimination laws (DOMA) and we're trying to do the Family Class immigration for me to come to Canada (BC), but I need to find work, and Education is my only trade/skills.

I appreciate ALL feedback you wonderful Canadians, you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 02:11 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,539,536 times
Honestly, there's a crazy glut of well qualified teachers and a decreasing population of school aged children, so your chances aren't very good.

Two-thirds of new teachers can’t find full-time work – - Macleans OnCampus

My suggestion would be to seek work as a math tutor or some other kind of tutor. I think one can make very decent money doing that, but it takes time to build your business so it's the harder road to take. What kind of a teacher are you? Perhaps there are avenues you haven't considered, like adult education?

Old 07-29-2012, 11:09 PM

I am an elementary teacher, with background in special education and gifted education. I am considering working for organizations that need educators via zoos, aquariums, ect. to run school related field trips. I am open to working up north or on Van. Island. I am married to a Canadian who is also a teacher without work, so I am aware of the situation. I have a cousin who is a retired teacher who is still working on the on-call list and her and I go at it about that situation all of the time. I am applying to work on the first nations and independent schools and hoping that will get me in. I could always try to get work in Seattle, but that would defeat the purpose of my husband and I reuniting in Canada.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:36 PM

72 posts, read 263,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Honestly, there's a crazy glut of well qualified teachers and a decreasing population of school aged children, so your chances aren't very good.

Two-thirds of new teachers can’t find full-time work – - Macleans OnCampus

My suggestion would be to seek work as a math tutor or some other kind of tutor. I think one can make very decent money doing that, but it takes time to build your business so it's the harder road to take. What kind of a teacher are you? Perhaps there are avenues you haven't considered, like adult education?
I have to agree with BIMBAM. I come from the field of education, having worked for the Burnaby school district for a number of years. There are lots of new teachers who can't find jobs let alone get on the teacher-on-call list. With a lack of enrollment in many school districts and layoffs resulting in many full time teachers ending up on the TOC list, many school boards may have stopped hiring TOCs altogether.

If you haven't done so already, apply to the Surrey school district - they seem to be the only school district that is still expanding. An alternative to teaching in the public sector could be to teach for companies like Sylvan Learning Centre. Granted, their benefits may not be as good as public schools, but at least it will get you in the country while you continue applying for TOC positions.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:59 PM

395 posts, read 860,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebchipper View Post
I am an elementary teacher, with background in special education and gifted education. I am considering working for organizations that need educators via zoos, aquariums, ect. to run school related field trips. I am open to working up north or on Van. Island. I am married to a Canadian who is also a teacher without work, so I am aware of the situation. I have a cousin who is a retired teacher who is still working on the on-call list and her and I go at it about that situation all of the time. I am applying to work on the first nations and independent schools and hoping that will get me in. I could always try to get work in Seattle, but that would defeat the purpose of my husband and I reuniting in Canada.
Dude either a career change or not moving here are the only serious answers one can give. Seriously teaching in canada

I`m not trying to be rude, but if your looking for real honest helpful advice it`s the best I can tell you.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmaq32 View Post
Dude either a career change or not moving here are the only serious answers one can give. Seriously teaching in canada

I`m not trying to be rude, but if your looking for real honest helpful advice it`s the best I can tell you.

I know you're not being rude ...I ask for advice and I shall receive! I'm not going to give up. I'm going to keep at it and see if someone is willing to take me on. I've had more luck finding positions up north, where I don't mind going.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:37 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,903,112 times
If you wanted to think outside the box consider some school districts just across the border in WA. The area near the border has seen pretty strong growth lately and probably would have some openings for teachers as its generally not the most desired location to live in western Washington except during summer. Border crossing wait times aren't too bad as long as you avoid weekends.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:02 AM

Thank you for the advise Willy, and I have thought about that. Even considered living in Washington state, being that it is closer to BC. I'm going to consider also different career avenues such as training, consultation, ect. I'll keep trying to get in the job market. A family member of mine said some teaching positions do open in late September/October once new numbers come in, so I'll hold out until then.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:05 PM

11 posts, read 21,984 times
mikebchipper - First, let me wish you the best of luck with the immigration process.
I'm American and just went through this process with my Canadian partner about 2 years ago, for the very same reason. Have you started the application process yet?

The good thing, I suppose, about the Family Class application is that you don't need to secure a job/be employed in Canada in order to immigrate, though obviously you want to know what your chances are once you get here. I can't speak much to Vancouver (as I just moved here a month ago) nor much about teachers (since I'm not one) but here are my 2 cents anyway:

-If you want to continue teaching, you'll probably need to complete a Bachelor of Education here in Canada in order to become certified to teach. Like other regulated trades (lawyers, nurses, etc.) your foreign credentials won't likely be recognized here. Fortunately, these B.Ed programs are usually only a year long, and if you can get accepted to a program and receive a student visa, you'll be able to live in Canada with your partner as the family-class permanent residence application makes its way through the system.

-Non-profit organizations are often eager to hire former teachers for their youth-based or instruction-based programs. The salary and benefits are unlikely to be as good as teaching positions, but it's one avenue to consider. Arts/music organizations, environmental organizations, museums all come to mind. The zoo/aquarium field-trip idea is a good one - but your experience is also valuable inside the organization (e.g., planning programs/curricula).

Good luck!

Old 08-19-2012, 09:07 AM

Thanks for your reply. The good news is, I have certification as they recognized my degree here. The bad news is that I have had several people call me for employment, but they don't want to deal with immigration, once they found out they actually have to be a part of obtaining the work permit with the CIC. I don't have to be in Vancouver, I am willing to go just about anywhere in BC. I'll keep trying and hopefully the hard work will pay off. I don't want to stay in the US longer than I have to. I want out, badly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver