Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2012, 04:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,262 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am applying for International Experience Canada (aka Working Holiday) and have gone through all the checking, now waiting for the official document, hopefully. Under this scheme, I will be on a 12-month open work permit to work in Canada and I am planning to fly to Vancouver in March/April 2013.

I'm from HK, a chinese gal in her late 20s, holding a bachelor degree with honours in Linguistics and have been working in the communications/public relations field for 5 years. During my undergraduate years, I spent one year as an exchange student in Europe and after graduation I have been traveling quite a lot as a solo female. I am open-minded, adaptable and used to multicultural environment. Yet, I have never worked nor looked for a job overseas.

I know quite a lot of working holiday makers from Taiwan/ HK are employed as waiters/cashiers/physically-demanding posts in Asian restaurants and grocery stores. I do want to experience this kind of life, something I have never done at home. But in the long run, I target to be a permanent resident in Canada (if the policy allows), therefore, I would like to try looking for jobs with a more promising prospects.

So here I need your help in adjusting my expectation.

Will an Asian newcomer with such background be able to find an office job in administration/marketing/communications/tourism/retail? contract or temporary posts will be good enough.

I wanna know the market better, where my position in the market is. Please shed some light.

As for my language abilities, I am literate in English and Chinese (a bit of Japanese) and fluent in English, Cantonese and Mandarin (also a bit of Japanese). I supposed the chance in Vancouver will be higher over other cities. Please enlighten me if you have any counter suggestions.

Thank you so much!

-Kanin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 11:06 AM

393 posts, read 600,904 times
You could try sorting through the job postings on jobbank.gc.ca. It would give you a better understanding where and how your skills would be in demand. Try selecting British Columbia, then the area of Vancouver/Surrey/Fraser Valley (BC) and then look under either Management or Business, Finance, Administration. Select all jobs and then check the requirements under postings that would interest you.

Just a note Vancouver/Surrey/Fraser Valley would include all areas of Vancouver, Richmond, Delta, Coquitlam etc.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:00 AM

216 posts, read 450,000 times
You're not gonna have any real problem here, being an asian. If anything, the other asians might see you as competition. As for the PR card, get married or pop out a kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver