Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 05:44 PM

51 posts, read 154,032 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering our options, and we're probably moving from Victoria to Vancouver sometime in the next 12 months. Victoria is too old, too sleepy, too small and doesn't have a very big job market to support career growth (we're a young family just starting out).

I'm reading more and more people griping about how terrible life in Vancouver has become (2 years ago it was all "Vancouver is #1!"). The prices are too high, the weather is too rainy, the immigrants are too foreign, etc etc.

Surely, there must be something good about living in Van? If so, please feel free to let me know here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 05:49 PM

380 posts, read 1,114,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atethepaint View Post
My wife and I are considering our options, and we're probably moving from Victoria to Vancouver sometime in the next 12 months. Victoria is too old, too sleepy, too small and doesn't have a very big job market to support career growth (we're a young family just starting out).

I'm reading more and more people griping about how terrible life in Vancouver has become (2 years ago it was all "Vancouver is #1!"). The prices are too high, the weather is too rainy, the immigrants are too foreign, etc etc.

Surely, there must be something good about living in Van? If so, please feel free to let me know here!
It has very nice views..but I'm sure Victoria does too.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:46 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,529,527 times
It's a big vibrant city with lots going on, the public transportation system is excellent, the air is clean, the urban planning is impeccable, great urban parks, and there's very good shopping compared to Victoria.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:43 PM

126,280 posts, read 19,057,756 times
Vancouver is a beautiful place, yet heavy populated. Vancouver has a lot to offer for people year round, from sea to mountain. The scenery is breathtaking and I love to visit each year.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:52 PM

393 posts, read 599,247 times
Vancouver is very expensive but the surburbs aren't as bad. With some planning, even if you intend to work downtown there is the skytrain, and buses that can make your commute easier. South of the Fraser has some pretty nice areas, as long as you have a decent real estate agent, you can stay out of areas that aren't the best, or are doing down hill. Some areas are also undergoing revitalization and have a lot to offer as well.

I have travelled extensively in Canada, and the States, and cannot imagine living anywhere else in North America. I also lived in the Saanich / Sidney area and while it was nice, I wouldn't have stayed there.

Go on MLS and start getting familiar with the different areas, and then research the schools and area and demographics - I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

I think you will find we have far less rainy days than Victoria...

Old 11-21-2012, 09:12 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,150,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful Dodger View Post
I think you will find we have far less rainy days than Victoria...
Quite the opposite, Victoria has far less rainy days than Vancouver.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:12 AM

393 posts, read 599,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
Quite the opposite, Victoria has far less rainy days than Vancouver.
You are absolutely correct that Victoria has less rainy days on average:

Quote:
Annual Average

Snowfall: Victoria 43.8 cm - Vancouver 48.2 cm
Total Precipitation: Victoria 883.3 mm - Vancouver 1,1990 mm
Number wet days: Victoria 154.2 - Vancouver 166.1
Weather conditions in capital and major cities

Old 11-22-2012, 05:48 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,445,618 times
The access to outdoors from the heart of the city. Beach culture in the summer. Ski culture in the winter. The food. The restaurant scene, cocktail scene, craft beer scene, live music scene. Saw Leonard Cohen last week. Cirque du Soleil are performing this next week. Paul McCarney comes on Sunday, Bruce Springsteen on Monday. Lots of great indie bands are playing all throughout.

Real estate is ridiculous unless you're willing to purchase small spaces, but renting is more affordable.

Neighbourhoods outside of downtown are more culturally interesting (Commercial Drive, Main Street, Kits, etc.) in terms of shopping, community atmosphere, pubs, cafes, etc., but the suburbs (North Van, Richmond, Burnaby, etc.) are just as sleepy as Victoria.

Old 07-09-2016, 09:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,399 times
It's an expensive place to live, but other than that it great! easy to get around however hard to find a place, however when I finally did I found there are lots of moving company's and some place rent plastic moving boxes like gorillabox.ca

Overall transportation is good but housing cost sucks

Old 07-14-2016, 09:41 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,731,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay604jay View Post
It's an expensive place to live, but other than that it great! easy to get around however hard to find a place, however when I finally did I found there are lots of moving company's and some place rent plastic moving boxes like gorillabox.ca

Overall transportation is good but housing cost sucks
to say housing cost sucks is misleading. Housing is expensive only if you have to buy and buy a house. To rent or buy a condo is not that outrageously expensive at all.

Why do we all assume we are entitled to a single family home? In large cities, people should come to accept the fact that SFH are only available to the rich class (say top 10%). This kind of entitlement makes me sick. A SFH is not a necessity. I don't see people complaining Chanel or Lamborghinis are too expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver