Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 07:31 PM

4 posts, read 6,336 times

Advertisements

And while I’m really excited about it, I have absolutely no idea on how much to ask for.

Let me tell you that we are a typical family of four: me, wife, daughter and son, with both kids under 2 years old (23 months and 5 months actually), and me and my wife reaching our 40s.

The only thing I know for sure is that Vancouver is one of the most expensive places to live, and that scares me a little bit.

An ex-co-worker that lives in Calgary gave me this numbers, but I’m not sure if they are correct or not, and they lack some information, like kindergarten cost, and household supplies, for example.

I would like to save 2000 dollars per month at a minimum, because that is what I save at my country.

The total I get is about 9000 dollars per month, that being NET income. Are this numbers correct? How much do I need to make a month to have 9000 net?

Thanks so much!

Here you have the numbers and also the google docs spreadsheet link (hope it works).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...T6Tk-M/pubhtml

Quote:
Auto Loan/Lease $600
Insurance $300
Gas $500
Maintenance $125
Parking $
Renting $2000
Household Supplies $
Groceries $1000
Internet/TV $200
Cellphone x 2 $100
Gas $200
Water $100
Electricity $150
Dental $
Medical $
Dining out $400
Events $200
Travel/ Vacation $600
Dry Cleaning $30
New Clothes $50
Child Care $
Tuition $
College Loans $
Pocket Money $400
Child Care $
Savings $2000
Alcohol/Wine/Beer $100
Hair Cuts $30
Toiletries $30
TOTAL $9115
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 09:54 AM

No one?

Old 08-09-2014, 01:39 PM

681 posts, read 1,560,572 times
You would need to make approximately $14k/month or $168k/yr to net $9k - not too many jobs that will pay that kind of salary.

Also in terms of your budget - you will be hard pressed to find rental accommodation for a family of 4 for 2k/month.
I would budget closer to 4k - for an average 3 bedroom house in a non-central, safe neighbourhood. You could probably manage with a 2 bedroom condo (probably around 900-1000 sq ft) if you don't value personal space - you "might" find that in a non-central location for 2k/month.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,576 times
It all really just depend son where you want to live and where you work. Vancouver is just a small part of BC when you think of the entire province which is fairly large with many other major cities. Have you looked in prices or homes/rent on craigslist yet?

Old 08-10-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfyycCold View Post
Also in terms of your budget - you will be hard pressed to find rental accommodation for a family of 4 for 2k/month. I would budget closer to 4k - for an average 3 bedroom house in a non-central, safe neighbourhood. You could probably manage with a 2 bedroom condo (probably around 900-1000 sq ft) if you don't value personal space - you "might" find that in a non-central location for 2k/month.
Are you sure about 4000 dollars for a home/townhouse/apartment/condo? This is renting, not buying. I want a 1000 square meters house at minimum, ideally 3 bedrooms, at least 2. Everywhere else I asked I was told between 1500 and 3000.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:16 AM

681 posts, read 1,560,572 times
Here are a couple of sites to look at. The first just gives good advice about "how" to look for a rental property.
The second gives average costs of living, including housing, based on actual resident input - much like you have done.

Home Rental Process: Which Neighborhood, Type of Home - 2Vancouver.com
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

When I lived in Vancouver (Lonsdale, North Vancouver) in 1995 (yes, almost 20 YEARS AGO), I paid $900 for a 1 bedroom condo that was approximately 640 square feet.

I guess it depends on where you would be working and how long of a commute you would be willing to do. Rentals are less expensive the further out you go - you may have to look at Abbotsford or Langley.

Last edited by Yac; 08-27-2014 at 07:13 AM..

Old 08-10-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfyycCold View Post
Here are a couple of sites to look at. The first just gives good advice about "how" to look for a rental property.
The second gives average costs of living, including housing, based on actual resident input - much like you have done.

Home Rental Process: Which Neighborhood, Type of Home - 2Vancouver.com
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

When I lived in Vancouver (Lonsdale, North Vancouver) in 1995 (yes, almost 20 YEARS AGO), I paid $900 for a 1 bedroom condo that was approximately 640 square feet.

I guess it depends on where you would be working and how long of a commute you would be willing to do. Rentals are less expensive the further out you go - you may have to look at Abbotsford or Langley.
Both links are great, I would use those numbers to have a better budget!

Last edited by Yac; 08-27-2014 at 07:13 AM..

Old 08-12-2014, 06:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,481 times
Dude You might not save much in Vncouver but YOU WILL FEEL ALIVE!!!!!!!

Old 08-15-2014, 07:28 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,713 times
To the original poster...................You are looking at this in a backwards way.

Long before you need to worry about the cost of living in Vancouver.......................You NEED to be APPROVED to come to Canada, by the Government of Canada. THAT is your first and biggest problem.

Being offered a job is NOT a guarantee that Canada will ACCEPT you as a Immigrant. Everyone wants to come to Canada, from all over the world.....................So what makes YOU special, and more likely to be approved than a hundred thousand others, who have the same or better education and experience ???

Many people apply, FEW are accepted, each year. Will you be approved ? Worry about that, first.

Jim B.. In Toronto.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:34 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,149,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
To the original poster...................You are looking at this in a backwards way.

Long before you need to worry about the cost of living in Vancouver.......................You NEED to be APPROVED to come to Canada, by the Government of Canada. THAT is your first and biggest problem.

Jim B.. In Toronto.
No, YOU are looking at this in a backwards way.

Before even applying for immigration/working permit, the OP needs to figure out if he wants to move there at all. And determining a cost of living is one of the majors factors to make a decision.

Immigration/relocation to a different country can be a very stressful, costly and lengthy process. You first do a thorough research on a country/city and then decide if you should go through this or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver