Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 01:04 PM

522 posts, read 696,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Joan

I understand what are you trying to say....if you want to go in Vancouver for your schooling it can be a nice choice....the city has a truly beautiful scenery setting and is not too big. Lots of outdoor opportunities.
Winters can be very depressing (gray, lots of rain) but this may not bother you.
Actually rental costs can be reasonable, totally disconnected from actual property prices which, understandably, you are not interested at this point in your life.
I always said that Vancouver is a great place to live in your 20s, much less past that.
At some point you will have to think about a career and maybe owning a house......this is where Vancouver fall definitely short.
Cost of living can be very high (leave alone statistics, I'm talking about real experience of daily life) and job prospects are not great.
My point is, Vancouver may make perfect sense at your stage in life but why not picking a city where you can actually have the opportunity to stick around after school??

Maybe you could look at places with great interior designer schools AND great job opportunities after that.

If you like the northwest lifestyle I can tell you for my personal experience that Seattle is very similar to Vancouver but with vastly greater job opportunities and an actual lower cost of living (lived in Vancouver, moved to Seattle)

But I do not know about interior design schools here.
Yeah, it is honestly more of an adventure for me. I may not stay after school, we'll see. I (like many others) have always wanted to live in another country, experience new culture, and see the world in a different light. And I'm lucky enough to realize it at a young age when I'm not bogged down by commitment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitra416 View Post
I’m not sure why some folks here are being so negative and frankly condescending with you. You want to know if Vancouver is a good place to go when you are young and relatively free of obligations. I say that it is! I lived there for a few years in my mid-twenties and had a great time. I met people from all kinds of backgrounds; professional, artistic etc…

For someone who grew up in Eastern Ontario, the Pacific Northwest climate was an awesome change. I didn’t mind the rain and “gloom”. I loved how the light was different, how the air smelled like trees, how the mist hung over the mountains – all the intangible things that give you a sense of place and make you feel like you belong, even when you are a newcomer. If the school has a good reputation and you can swing the costs associated with being a foreign student in Canada, then why not go for it? As you stated, you are not tied to staying in Vancouver in any way afterwards – don’t know why other posters are treating you like you are dying to sign up for a mortgage in Vancouver. There are always ways to live frugally or creatively – even in an expensive city like Vancouver.
I've heard many people talk about the smell of pine trees; totally awesome! I love dark, mysterious gloomy days so I was happy to hear that the city gets lots of rain in the Winter. I'm very excited and can't help but map out the adventures I'm going to take in BC during my free-time. The only problem is telling my parents- who are currently wondering why I'm not actively applying for colleges yet! They just think I'm lazy. If only they knew...!

Old 08-29-2014, 01:32 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,317,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanCrawford View Post
Yeah, it is honestly more of an adventure for me. I may not stay after school, we'll see. I (like many others) have always wanted to live in another country, experience new culture, and see the world in a different light. And I'm lucky enough to realize it at a young age when I'm not bogged down by commitment.
Well if you want to experience a dramatic change in culture in another country, Canada would not be my first choice...it is still very similar to the US in terms of lifestyle and culture.

A better option, remaining within the comfort of an English speaking language, would be Australia or England over Canada.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Well if you want to experience a dramatic change in culture in another country, Canada would not be my first choice...it is still very similar to the US in terms of lifestyle and culture.

A better option, remaining within the comfort of an English speaking language, would be Australia or England over Canada.
Okay, no, you don't seem to get it. I'm going to Vancouver. Not Australia, England, Ethiopia, Russia, Mexico. That's what I've decided...

Old 08-29-2014, 01:53 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,236,269 times
Joan, Vancouver used to be one of the best cities in the world probably back in the 90's. Then everything got expensive, traffic has become so congested, wages stagnant, taxes so damn high.

However we hardly ever have snow and when the sun comes up, we are truly one of the best looking cities in the world. Our winters are fairly mild compared to everyone else, but a lot of rain and overcast days.

Public transit has improved and more options to go other places.

Vancouver is definitely not the place to move and live if you plan to start a family unless you have a lucrative career or your partner does. Or unless you have rich parents.

I find most people born in Vancouver wish things were back they were when it was actually affordable. People who love it here with no gripes tend to be the richer citizens who have don't have the same worries as the average shrinking middle man. Other people who love it here tend to be those without kids and don't mind renting for the rest of their life.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:00 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,317,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanCrawford View Post
Okay, no, you don't seem to get it. I'm going to Vancouver. Not Australia, England, Ethiopia, Russia, Mexico. That's what I've decided...

Good luck for the future then!

Old 08-29-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Good luck for the future then!
Thanks! ^__^

Old 08-29-2014, 06:48 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,978,054 times
Quote:
Joan

If you like the northwest lifestyle I can tell you for my personal experience that Seattle is very similar to Vancouver but with vastly greater job opportunities and an actual lower cost of living (lived in Vancouver, moved to Seattle)

But I do not know about interior design schools here.

I don't think Seattle is quite adequate as a "Vancouver substitute". The economy is more robust but the access you have to the outdoors, the beauty of the area and the perks of being a Canadian (somewhat more affordable healthcare etc) will be compromised. I find Seattle sort of an ugly city and without a car it would be a very depressing place to live in a lot of ways. The people are colder and the city feels "deader" and smaller than Vancouver as well.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I don't think Seattle is quite adequate as a "Vancouver substitute". The economy is more robust but the access you have to the outdoors, the beauty of the area and the perks of being a Canadian (somewhat more affordable healthcare etc) will be compromised. I find Seattle sort of an ugly city and without a car it would be a very depressing place to live in a lot of ways. The people are colder and the city feels "deader" and smaller than Vancouver as well.
That's another thing I'm excited about! I can get by without a car. Where I live now we have no public transport. I still want to explore upper BC at some point, though, so hopefully I can meet some friends who have cars that will take me there.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:21 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,180,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Give Saturno a break. He works in Seattle so it's natural for him to say that. In fact, I've seen him frequent all the Vancouver related discussions only to trash Vancouver and warn potential new comers. Seriously dude, if you don't want to live in some place, that's your choice, don't make decisions for others who have very different life circumstances and goals than yourself. I'm no fan of Vancouver and have no intentions of moving there in the near future, but it's just bad taste to trash talk people out of something on an online forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver