Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 07:27 PM

522 posts, read 698,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Give Saturno a break. He works in Seattle so it's natural for him to say that. In fact, I've seen him frequent all the Vancouver related discussions only to trash Vancouver and warn potential new comers. Seriously dude, if you don't want to live in some place, that's your choice, don't make decisions for others who have very different life circumstances and goals than yourself. I'm no fan of Vancouver and have no intentions of moving there in the near future, .
I actually used to be like that. I would think to myself why in the world would people move to DC, it's awful here?! But then I realized that people want different things than me in life and that yes, people do have different lifestyles than I. And I'm certainly not going to trash talk to them about how they chose the wrong path by coming here. So while I may not like it here, others may love it, and that makes me happy that they're happy.

Quote:
but it's just bad taste to trash talk people out of something on an online forum.
Yes, especially when I didn't ask for people's opinions! I didn't say "Is Vancouver a good place for me to live?" I asked about culture and assimilation, not a lecture on how I'm making a mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 11:03 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,335,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I don't think Seattle is quite adequate as a "Vancouver substitute". The economy is more robust but the access you have to the outdoors, the beauty of the area and the perks of being a Canadian (somewhat more affordable healthcare etc) will be compromised. I find Seattle sort of an ugly city and without a car it would be a very depressing place to live in a lot of ways. The people are colder and the city feels "deader" and smaller than Vancouver as well.

- Access to outdoors is exactly the same. The only thing, from a natural setting, Vancouver has over Seattle is the mountains very very close but Seattle has more water features and coastlines.

- Your can get by using public transportation much more than in the past. A lot of people in Seattle do not use a car to commute (my wife is one of them for example)

- I noticed that a lot of people that think they know Seattle (and they find it ugly) they actually do not.....is more spread out than Vancouver so just a stroll around the Space Needle or on the waterfront is not enough to get a good taste of the City.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:05 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,335,728 times
Quote:
Give Saturno a break. He works in Seattle so it's natural for him to say that.
Seattle is far from my ideal city, I do not "warn" potential newcomers, I just offer to them both side of the coin not the fairy tale story.and I would do it for any other city that I know.

Old 08-30-2014, 04:10 PM

3,748 posts, read 4,990,474 times
Quote:
Give Saturno a break. He works in Seattle so it's natural for him to say that. In fact, I've seen him frequent all the Vancouver related discussions only to trash Vancouver and warn potential new comers. Seriously dude, if you don't want to live in some place, that's your choice, don't make decisions for others who have very different life circumstances and goals than yourself. I'm no fan of Vancouver and have no intentions of moving there in the near future, but it's just bad taste to trash talk people out of something on an online forum.
No I think Vancouver is a great moving choice, I was just saying if she's thinking of Seattle instead expecting the same thing just in America she's mistaken. Seattle is a different city with different things to offer.

Old 08-30-2014, 04:12 PM

3,748 posts, read 4,990,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
- Access to outdoors is exactly the same. The only thing, from a natural setting, Vancouver has over Seattle is the mountains very very close but Seattle has more water features and coastlines.
Sorry but I disagree. It's generally much more difficult to access the water, mountains and forests in Seattle compared to Vancouver, especially if you don't have a car. If you have a car it's not nearly as hard, though I don't see why this makes Seattle special per se considering cities like Cleveland, Phoenix and Asheville are also within a drive of scenic natural areas.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:21 PM

Just wanted to update you guys who helped me out. I actually told my parents about this and they totally support me. :-) I'm very surprised. They said they definitely will help pay for my expenses and they completely understand why I would want to move and be on my own.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:29 PM

4,868 posts, read 10,566,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanCrawford View Post
Just wanted to update you guys who helped me out. I actually told my parents about this and they totally support me. :-) I'm very surprised. They said they definitely will help pay for my expenses and they completely understand why I would want to move and be on my own.
That's great Joan! Feel free to hit me up as you get closer to the move, I'd be glad to help however I can.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:29 AM

65 posts, read 197,279 times
Good for you Joan - Moving to and living in different places is good for the "soul". Especially since you are planning on studying and working in a creative / design-related profession. Later on, even if you are living elsewhere, you may find your time in Vancouver inspires a colour palette or triggers an approach to solving a design challenge for a client.

Best of luck!

Old 08-31-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
That's great Joan! Feel free to hit me up as you get closer to the move, I'd be glad to help however I can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitra416 View Post
Good for you Joan - Moving to and living in different places is good for the "soul". Especially since you are planning on studying and working in a creative / design-related profession. Later on, even if you are living elsewhere, you may find your time in Vancouver inspires a colour palette or triggers an approach to solving a design challenge for a client.

Best of luck!
Thanks for being so sweet, guys! I'll contact you if I have any questions.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:34 PM

14,734 posts, read 15,207,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanCrawford View Post
Well that is great news then and frankly it's a relief to see that you've got that concern dealt with now.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver