Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 10:17 AM

39 posts, read 160,259 times

Advertisements

Our family might be relocating to Vancouver due to a job opportunity. The office is near Discovery Place in Burnaby.

We will be moving from the US, specifically Boston. Our oldest is the only school age child and he will be admitted to 1st Grade.

Should we consider Burnaby over New Westminster? I understand elementary school enrollment is based on the home address. Does anyone have a decent elementary school to recommend that could help narrow down the rental search? We are thinking of maybe a 3 bedroom house or townhouse.

Any help is much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 03:26 PM

21 posts, read 103,362 times
Judging by the profiles on citystats.ca, Burnaby has a much higher percentage of houses with children, and real-estate is also much higher, with household income also being slightly higher.

Based on these measurements, I would assume that there would be more child friendly neighbourhoods, and there may be more options/opportunities for schooling.

You can get more details here, if you'd like:
Burnaby, British Columbia - Detailed City Profile
New Westminster, British Columbia - Detailed City Profile

Hopefully someone who lives in the area may be able to offer advice as well.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:25 PM

2 posts, read 6,687 times
Aso try this for school ratings: Burnaby BC School Ranking | Vancouver Burnaby Real Estate
If parks and playgrounds are a factor, try this: Kids Playgrounds, Attractions and other Activities around Vancouver - Little Tots
For real estate your best bet is REALTOR.ca -Welcome

Good luck

Old 08-07-2011, 07:56 PM

428 posts, read 1,184,988 times
Both have nice areas and parts of new west are very walkable. Since the job is in burnaby I would just live there. I would avoid areas near metrotown as that area is very congested. North burnaby is nice and the area has lots of families.
Just realized this post is 2 years old. Gotta be more careful before replying.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:09 PM

2 posts, read 8,202 times
Do not go to burnaby a lot of people get shot there move to Richmond it's way safer

Old 11-20-2011, 06:49 PM

253 posts, read 558,274 times
I have lived in both New Westminster and Burnaby. New Westminster is full of retirees, weirdos (there is a nut house there) and drunken bums. There is absolutley nothing to do in New Westminster. Burnaby is nice, multicultural and big. The down side of Burnaby is that it's big and things can be quite far from each other, living in this city it's a good idea to own a car unless you live near the skytrain (our rapid transit system here), there is a big mall in Burnaby called Metrotown it's nice has everything you could ever want to shop for, but is always overcrowded. The poster above suggested Richmond, I actually live in Richmond now and I can tell you it's just as safe as Burnaby, we've had shootings here before, and it's always had to do with Asian gangs.

***Hmm this post was from 2009, guess you've already made your decision, maybe someone else wants this info****

Old 11-20-2011, 10:29 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,862,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janacanada View Post
I have lived in both New Westminster and Burnaby. New Westminster is full of retirees, weirdos (there is a nut house there) and drunken bums. There is absolutley nothing to do in New Westminster. Burnaby is nice, multicultural and big. The down side of Burnaby is that it's big and things can be quite far from each other, living in this city it's a good idea to own a car unless you live near the skytrain (our rapid transit system here), there is a big mall in Burnaby called Metrotown it's nice has everything you could ever want to shop for, but is always overcrowded. The poster above suggested Richmond, I actually live in Richmond now and I can tell you it's just as safe as Burnaby, we've had shootings here before, and it's always had to do with Asian gangs.

***Hmm this post was from 2009, guess you've already made your decision, maybe someone else wants this info****
Are you referring to the Forensic Psychiatric Hospital of PoCo?
It is located near the boundary of Coquitlam and PoCo, on the other side of Port Mann Bridge.

Not sure if New Westminster is right for the OP with 3 kids, since the single family houses there are priced over 6 digits. However, more singles and young couples are choosing NW new high-rises, as the rents there are reasonable and transport is convenient.

By the way, Burnaby does have a mental facility and a couple of corrections centers. There was/is plan to turn the state owned land in to a prison.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:35 PM

253 posts, read 558,274 times
No I believe there is one on Carnarvon Street near the quay. It's been a while since I've lived in New West, but I just don't see it as family friendly. About 6 years ago I worked in New West (starbucks) and after 8 pm it was either narcotic anonymous coming in or some local crazies taking 3 hours to finish a drip coffee.

I know of a few people who have moved to New West for the cheaper condos, they however don't work in New West or do much else other than their grocery shopping.

Yes Burnaby does have that, but it's not as noticeable probably because it's a larger city both in number of citizens and in land area.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:24 PM

40 posts, read 153,801 times
[quote=janacanada;21797681]I have lived in both New Westminster and Burnaby. New Westminster is full of retirees, weirdos (there is a nut house there) and drunken bums. There is absolutley nothing to do in New Westminster. Burnaby is nice, multicultural and big. The down side of Burnaby is that it's big and things can be quite far from each other, living in this city it's a good idea to own a car unless you live near the skytrain (our rapid transit system here), there is a big mall in Burnaby called Metrotown it's nice has everything you could ever want to shop for, but is always overcrowded. The poster above suggested Richmond, I actually live in Richmond now and I can tell you it's just as safe as Burnaby, we've had shootings here before, and it's always had to do with Asian gangs.

Sorry to jump in here off topic, but there use to be an insane asylum called Esendale(sorry about the spellling) is that still there. It was close to the Fraser river.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:27 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,053,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgreen View Post
Sorry to jump in here off topic, but there use to be an insane asylum called Esendale(sorry about the spellling) is that still there. It was close to the Fraser river.
Essondale was renamed to Riverview Hospital. It is in Coquitlam close to the Fraser. Here is the history of Riverview.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivervi...tal_(Coquitlam)

Then there was Woodlands Hospital which was also close to the Fraser, in New Westminster. Woodlands has closed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodlands_(New_Westminster)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver