Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2010, 09:45 PM

947 posts, read 3,408,469 times

Advertisements

I just made some pancakes... for dinner.

kinda miss the real yummy pancakes my dad made when I was a kid, and he still makes them, and still yummy...
but, I choose not to eat them anymore because I do not want to eat any eggs or cows milk.

Spur of the moment tonight, I felt like pancakes, I have made them before with out eggs, but looked briefly online and found a recipe yummy recipe. granted I only got the pan-heat thing down at like the last couple!!!
But they are good!

Calls for flax seed powder.
Although the blog- recipe does not state that flax seed powder can be used as an egg substitute, I have heard it before.

Anyway, I have bought flax seeds and never really knew what to do with them (even though I am sure there is much to do, cook/prepare, I don't usually cook much)
So, tonight, I had the seeds and used a coffee grinder, made them into a powder- 2 tablespoons and added water - 6 tablespoons

anyway, long story!!!

Wonder if you guys have used the powder before like this?

Can you use it in lots of recipes that call for eggs, recipes that are not vegan?

What about almond or another nut type?

Anyway, here is the recipe link:

Whole Wheat Pancakes | Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes|Eggless Recipes|Dairy-free Recipes|Indian Recipes

btw... mine did not come out that "light" looking.

let me know what you guys think!!!

this was the 1st time really looking at Holy Cow blog... wow lots of tasty recipes and just noticed that there are Lots of pancake recipes!!!

Enjoy!!!

Last edited by need4Trees; 08-17-2010 at 09:47 PM.. Reason: add info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 11:41 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Didn't know -- thanks!

Old 08-19-2010, 09:54 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,268,416 times
I never knew that.
I do use/eat ground flax seeds in a LOT of things.
I especially like it in my yogurt.

Just wondering... would ground flax seed that you buy in WM or other stores, would that be the same as when you ground yours ?

So you think...
2Tblspns ground flax seeds + 6 Tblspns water = 1 egg ??? basically ? When it comes to the pancakes.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:38 PM

947 posts, read 3,408,469 times
Glad to share my... somewhat knew knowledge!

Well, I think I ... hummm kind-a knew, a long time ago, but never went forward with it, but I will be using it from now on!

I had used banana, applesauce and even pumpkin puree.

Anyway,

Sillypup-
I linked the recipe on the 1st post.
It is a blog, recipe blog mainly, lots of yummys!!!
And lots of pancake recipes.

I think 1 egg must = 1 tablespoon ground flax seed with 3 tablespoons water.

I have heard the Best way to eat flax seeds, is Not eating the whole seed, but rather grinding them just before using.

You can get flax seeds at Trader Joes if you like to go there, if you do end up grinding a lot at once, guess you can, then I would keep in fridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food