Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 08:43 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Huh?

Anyway, I'm on Day 13. Going well so far.
glad to hear it!

forum rules, please read them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 08:53 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,630,573 times
Quote:
Huh?

Anyway, I'm on Day 13. Going well so far.
I mean the vegetarian items on the menus of fastfood restaurants, aren't real meals, with the exception of bean burritos at taco bell or the BK Veggie burger..... but like just fries, or mcdz sundae, or arbys jalapeno poppers - those don't make a full meal and aren't healthy.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:15 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
I mean the vegetarian items on the menus of fastfood restaurants, aren't real meals, with the exception of bean burritos at taco bell or the BK Veggie burger..... but like just fries, or mcdz sundae, or arbys jalapeno poppers - those don't make a full meal and aren't healthy.
Which is why I don't eat at McDonald's or Arby's.

I did sit through a McDonald's meal with my family last week as my daughter loves McDonald's. On the way home, I picked up takeout Garlic Tofu w/ Rice for my own dinner. Mine was better, I'm sure.

I need to learn how to cook so I can prepare meals my entire family can eat. I did experiment with vegan spaghetti and everyone ate it and liked it, to my surprise.

Day 16.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:36 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times
McDonald's doesn't have a healthy thing on their menu, except maybe a salad or iced tea (unsweetened) so vegan or meat eaters, if you care about healthy food, this isn't the place to eat.
Chipotle has a GREAT veggie burrito bowl, which I order with extra guacamole and no dairy, fast and not too expensive.

forum rules, please read them

Old 05-17-2011, 10:46 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
I agree! There are many vegans that live of junk food, just as there are meat eaters that eat only junk. I don' t believe that the vegan diet equals healthy... you still have to eat the right foods.
So true. He's never been a junk food/sweets eater, even when he was still eating meat, which was only 2-3 times a week because I never really cared for it much even before I eliminated it from my diet altogether. I think my dismay at his deficiencies comes from the fact that he has really studied vegan nutrition, and "ought" to be able to balance his diet a little better. But, he IS a college student, and a very serious one, so I'm sure that exams, stress, time pressures, etc. sometimes cause him to eat a bit "sloppily." And, as I said before, students who live on pizza and burgers are undoubtedly deficient in some nutrients, too, plus their diets are really high in fat and salt.

Old 05-21-2011, 04:31 PM

Day 21.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:12 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
Quote:
Day 21.
Congratulations! How are you feeling?

Old 05-22-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
Congratulations! How are you feeling?
Mostly good, although social events are a PITA. Hosts understand vegetarians but not vegans. I attended a formal luncheon where they served me a plate of steamed broccoli and cauliflower with no seasoning of any kind. Not so yummy!

Old 05-30-2011, 01:26 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
I agree about McD's - avoid at all costs! For a number of reasons.
We occasionally eat at Taco Bell, Subway and Burger King. I am not a strict vegan, although I am leaning that way. My son is though, and he told me that there are egg whites in the BK veggie burger.

Topaz, there are so many good recipes and meal ideas on this forum! I will be posting some later.

Social events are not easy but in general, the whole world is little by little becoming more Veg Friendly. Example, yesterday we attended a rock concert in the park. One vender was selling portabella mushroom sandwiches and grilled veggie and hummus tacos! And it was a very popular stand!

Old 05-30-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I agree about McD's - avoid at all costs! For a number of reasons.
I'm well aware of the reasons to avoid McDonald's but we occasionally eat there because my daughter has serious food allergies and McDonald's is one of the few places where I know exactly what she can eat and still be safe.

When we go there, I just eat something else later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food