Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 04:33 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,132,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleestak View Post
I don't mean to be the fly in your ointment, but plants are living organisms too. Whether you're eating a carrot or a cheeseburger, something had to die.
I'm not picking on you, but it always irked me how vegetarians gloss over that point.
LOL.
I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, it's just that I HATE plants.

Kind of sad-but-true in my case I have a black thumb. I grow just enough basil in pots to flavor my (awesome, I must say) vegetarian cooking.

Thanks for the chuckle.

p.s. I really do love animals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 02:11 AM

245 posts, read 766,464 times
plaidmom, all this talk of basil has me thinking of spaghetti. Baked spaghetti casserole with cheese on top, to be exact. Is it too late to change my favorite food answer in the other thread? Seriously though, I do respect that people have their reasons for being vegetarians. It's only the holier than thou types that get under my skin. (not you, boycew02). Sorry to hear about the black thumb. Ever thought about a career in forestry? On second thought, women with axes make me nervous...

Old 08-15-2007, 01:07 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,869,269 times
Here is another web site you can peruse:

Vegetarian Recipes - Everyday Cooking - All Recipes

Old 08-19-2007, 05:44 PM

48 posts, read 187,578 times
Yahoo has some good recipe groups, if you don't mind subscribing to an email list (I think there is an option for "no mail" and you can just read everything on the web). The Feral Vegetarian is one I enjoy. I don't participate but they seem like nice, welcoming people who are happy to answer questions. I also like that many of the recipes are "tried and true".

Good luck!

EDIT - I wanted to add, since I just noticed that Will said he wasn't much of a cook - I would recommend picking up a cookbook geared toward college students. I believe the one I have is Amazon.com: Student's Vegetarian Cookbook, Revised: Quick, Easy, Cheap, and Tasty Vegetarian Recipes: Books: Carole Raymond

Cookbooks aimed at new vegetarians would likely be useful as well, but I actually have the book linked to above (the Chipotle Black Bean Chili is excellent).

Old 08-21-2007, 08:56 PM

41 posts, read 145,787 times
I'm a vegetarian I've been at it for 3 1/2 years...mostly for the same reason that you're a vegetarian. It's really not so bad once you get going. Yes, I do have my days where I'd loooove a nice hamburger, but for the most part, I don't miss meat too much.

Anyway, tacos are a good vegetarian food. I make mine with black beans, corn, guac, and couscous (weird I know, but it's good!) You can also make a shepherd's pie type thing with mashed potatoes on the bottom, then beans, then mashed potatoes. Hmm, what else do I eat...well, lots of pasta and pizza, LOL.

Will you eat eggs? Omelettes are always good, especially if you still want to continue getting your protein. Also, if you eat any type of nut or bean with whole wheat bread, that will make a complete protein. I usually do peanut butter on whole wheat.

Then there's the obvious: salad. If you get bored of normal salad, I have a good bok-choy recipe...let me know if you want it

Does any of that sound appealing?

Old 08-21-2007, 09:26 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,476,965 times
Complete Vegetarian Cookbook by Charmaine Solomon - I know, it's not a website but if your serious this book is a good place to start. The recipes are relatively short and "gourmet." You can get vegan meat substitutes nowadays that don't taste like rubber (wholefoods or reg. stores carry it).

Old 08-27-2007, 03:43 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,869,269 times
If you need some frozen entrees, Amy's are very good, especially their black bean enchilladas and samosa wraps.

Amys Kitchen :: Natural and Organic Foods
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food