Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 01:26 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdread View Post
sheena12 and missik999 I guess you two would not be able to be in a relationship with a meat/animal eater. I do not eat flesh but, my parents and ancestors (especially being Native Americans and Africans) ate animals so I can't just dismiss my family, especially my immediate ones knowing that it has been part of my heritage for a very long time. I do not impose my beliefs on my fiancee and family I live with even though I do not agree with eating flesh. The only way I would not have flesh in my home is if I left (abandoned my son and his mother) and my other immediate family members. I am not going to that extreme because I love my family, and we all have to deal with things we don't like when we live with family and others. Do you all impose your beliefs on your family members and friends just so they can have your company, etc? You two are lucky to have all vegetarian families but just imagine if you were only a vegetarian individual, would you really push away your family because of them eating flesh?

I raised my kids vegetarian, my extended family members eat meat. My family members know that when they come to my home for a meal they will enjoy wonderful meatless meals. And they are happy to eat my cooking! I like to expose them to as many different entrees, appetizers, desserts, and sides as I can.

My extended family doesn't expect me to serve them meat, and they certainly don't need to eat meat at every meal, or every week. And my friends and family certainly don't stay away because I don't serve meat.

If I would visit someone who was against alcohol, whether for religious or other reasons, I would never expect them to serve it to me when I was in their home. And I wouldn't bring alcohol into their home, either, even just to drink it myslf. In fact, if I dine out with someone who doesn't drink alcohol I will refrain from it as well out of respect for their feelings and beliefs.

The last time my daughter ate meat (which happened to be a fish sandwich) she told me how guilty she felt. She said that she would never eat rabbit (having had pet rabbits) beef, ham, etc. so it really bothered her conscience when she ate the fish. She decided it wasn't something she was ever comfortable doing again.

And no, I would never be in a relationship with someone who ate meat. Being cruelty free and having respect for all life is so important to me that I would never want to share my life with someone who didn't share those values.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 01:27 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
The sloppy joes are with TVP. Texturized Vegetable Protein. It's made by Near East (neareast.com) It's not in the shape of meat or anything. It's soy crumbles.

Thank you for the link for Calliloo. We have a Jamaican store here where we buy Vegetable Jamaican Patties. My 18 year old son can put away three at a time. They are very good, but the one's where we used to live in NY, were better IMO - spicier.
The shop owner may sell these items because there are somethings in there that I'm unfamiliar with.

I love butter beans! Can you post your fiancee's recipe? I also love curry and so does my family, so this should be a hit.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:32 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I raised my kids vegetarian, my extended family members eat meat. My family members know that when they come to my home for a meal they will enjoy wonderful meatless meals. And they are happy to eat my cooking! I like to expose them to as many different entrees, appetizers, desserts, and sides as I can.

My extended family doesn't expect me to serve them meat, and they certainly don't need to eat meat at every meal, or every week. And my friends and family certainly don't stay away because I don't serve meat.

If I would visit someone who was against alcohol, whether for religious or other reasons, I would never expect them to serve it to me when I was in their home. And I wouldn't bring alcohol into their home, either, even just to drink it myslf. In fact, if I dine out with someone who doesn't drink alcohol I will refrain from it as well out of respect for their feelings and beliefs.

The last time my daughter ate meat (which happened to be a fish sandwich) she told me how guilty she felt. She said that she would never eat rabbit (having had pet rabbits) beef, ham, etc. so it really bothered her conscience when she ate the fish. She decided it wasn't something she was ever comfortable doing again.

And no, I would never be in a relationship with someone who ate meat. Being cruelty free and having respect for all life is so important to me that I would never want to share my life with someone who didn't share those values.

Wish I could rep you but CD won't let me. The alcohol analogy is a perfect one.

Owe you one.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:48 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,729 times
I guess when i go to a social event the food is just not that important. Its about seeing friends and family. I look back and can't remember what i ate, but i remember who i visited with.

Have a safe weekend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food