Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 11:54 PM

261 posts, read 498,169 times

Advertisements

since age 16 I knew it was wrong for me to eat meat. Then I learned about nutrition around 21 thankfully. that was in the 80s. Thankfully I lived close enough to Berkeley which provided enough alternatives for vegetarians, which is how I learned how to prepare Indian food.

Today I'm much better off as for my knowledge on nutrition and I take B12 supplements. That's something important I didn't know.

Lately I'm leaning toward vegan as it's starting to feel strange to consume products of cow's milk intented for cow's off-spring.

there are a coupld of odd cravings I get now and then, like sardines, and occassionally clams. And I cannot live without sourdough bread so I'm not really a vegetarian or a vegan and probably never will be entirely so, but I can say that I'll never eat a cow, pig, or chicken again.

Hopefully I can grow to learn where the cravings are coming from, then I can be free of animals entirely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 01:22 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,292,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
I don't see how *anybody* could eat veal; that's just like eating a child. Or lamb. Or deer. That people still eat this stuff proves to me to one thing; we think we (human kind) are civilized beings, but we are not. And future generations will look back at us (assuming we survive) just like we look back on the cultures in the past which practiced horrors we no longer approve of.

My brother's a big fisherman and takes the poor things home and murders them in the garage. Sometimes he gets very large fish from the lakes in Oklahoma, and even one of his own friends remarked about how hideous it was that my brother was covered with blood after one of these trips. I do not approve and I do not like people who do this.
I'm confused. You don't like your brother because he's a fisherman?

Old 05-03-2012, 11:46 PM

10,546 posts, read 6,193,810 times
Hi there.
Never liked eating meat since I saw maggots crawling out of a dead cat when I was a kid! (I was an animal lover - upset me tremendously). Turned vegetarian as soon as I could at the age of 16. I'm now 43 so I make that 27 years. Never looked back and never been tempted. Meat eating is like an alien concept to me, however I don't mind other people eating it. My husband is a meat eater. My kids were vegetarian until they started school. I didn't want them to find anything difficult at school so I let them have what they wanted. My son will eat ham and chicken. One of my daughters likes sausages if they are ever offered. My youngest daughter does not like meat and in fact all of them can take it or leave it and always choose a vegetarian option when we go out.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:11 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,435,131 times
I am going vegetarian...the "good" news is that I eat out more...because my BF likes meat...and I won't cook it any longer. He can cook it, or we can go out. Or he can find a meat cooking GF.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:07 PM

4,076 posts, read 2,161,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I am going vegetarian...the "good" news is that I eat out more...because my BF likes meat...and I won't cook it any longer. He can cook it, or we can go out. Or he can find a meat cooking GF.
That's the attitude, Jasper! Good for you. Now you just have to worry about finding veggie-friendly restaurants...some around here act as if accommodating a vegetarian is impossible.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:04 PM

588 posts, read 1,441,908 times
My entire life.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:04 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,880,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot201 View Post
My entire life.
Yay!! You win!

Except for my coworkers from India and Pakistan, I have never met a lifelong vegetarian.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:23 PM

588 posts, read 1,441,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Yay!! You win!

Except for my coworkers from India and Pakistan, I have never met a lifelong vegetarian.

It hasn't been easy.

I grew up in a family of BIG-TIME meat-eaters. Meat was served at dinner at least 95% of the time, at breakfast about 50% of the time, and at lunch about 75% of the time.

I drove my parents CRAZY. Beginning in infancy, I refused to eat meat. My parents would try to mix it into my baby food, but I wouldnt' swallow it if I could taste the meat. Yes, I was difficult. Quite difficult.

During my entire childhood, my parents tried and tried and tried to make me eat meat, but I absolutely refused. The pediatrician told my parents that I would eat it if I was given no choice, and didn't have an alternative. He also said that no child will starve him/herself, but I was the kid who WOULD rather starve than eat meat.

I can't stand the taste or smell. I think it is repulsive. In fact, I hate meat so much that I won't even eat many of the soy substitutes because they taste too much like meat.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:23 PM

5,655 posts, read 6,246,850 times
I haven't eaten red meat since I was about 14....so about 27 years there. I cut our poultry and seafood about 6 years ago. I'd love to go vegan but my schedule doesn't allow it....hopefully when I manage to convert to part-time or retire that will be the next step.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:07 PM

304 posts, read 619,145 times
About 2 months. To be honest, I have not found it easy, but I have no desire to go back. I regret waiting so long (I am 47). I feel like I got a second chance after beating cancer, and I don't want to spend it eating animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food