Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 03:17 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,725,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Sorry I meant to say that I use rice flour to thicken sauces and soups. I mix it with a little cold water and add slowing to soups or sauces - I end up straining things no matter how careful I am because rice flour does not react like wheat flour....it lumps right up...but the result is great - you would never know by the taste that it wasn't thickened with wheat flour.

Red Hill (which you can buy at most stores including Walmart) makes many non-gluten flours. They also make an all-purpose blend which is very good - but I now just make my own blend.

What is lacking in many of these non-gluten flours is fiber - almost no fiber in most of the flours. So, I add psyllium to the flour mixture that I make - you can buy it at any drug store and it is tasteless and blends right in - you would never know it is in anything that you are baking....but at least it adds a little health benefit to do this.
Cattknap, thank you so much for these wonderful posts. A friend has been asking me about vegan recipes and how to use the non-gluten flours, but I had no idea. LOL Now...if someone could just steer me toward some vegan/diabetic recipes, I would be ecstatic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 02:43 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
I have successfully made cookies with flour made from brown rice -- I just threw a few handfuls in the blender to make it -- and my only suggestion is to use about twice as much leavening (baking powder, etc.) as a wheat-flour-based recipe would call for. The recipe I used did not call for eggs so I do not know how a flaxseed egg would work out, sorry.

When I've used a flaxseed egg in an otherwise standard brownie recipe, it was a disaster. I tried it twice and both times the batter refused to bake up into anything -- it remained a noxious black liquid until it was completely dehydrated by the oven. I have not gotten this result with any other quick-bread recipe -- I can use cornbread mixes, Bisquick or what have you and the flaxseed eggs work perfectly. But unless I am breading something, I never use that much water -- I go with 2 Tbsps water to 1 Tbsp flaxseed, ground.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:46 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
For vegan diabetic recipes, let me route you towards Dr. Neal Barnard's Program For Reversing Diabetes. The results will astound you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food