Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 12:55 PM

915 posts, read 2,136,041 times

Advertisements

I wonder if anyone else has had experiences with elderly people doing something as crazy as I did. (I’m 62..is that elderly?) I had a run-in with ovarian cancer in April, have MS, COPD and degenerative osteoarthritis (diagnosed after my chemo). My assistant took me to the grocery store—this big, gorgeous store—and I was riding around in my little cart, throwing things into it. I was very tearful because of the 20 children that were killed—my own students had just had a recital; I was listening to the Christmas carols, thinking of my deceased parents and husband, and feeling kind of sad, I guess.

When I got home, there were several odd things in my cart, I didn’t even remember getting: a pork shoulder roast, a turkey breast, eggnog, butter. I don’t eat those things! I couldn’t eat pork under the best of circumstances, and certainly not from a package that actually named the body part of the poor animals. I was repulsed and immediately wrapped up the packages in more plastic bags, and put the whole lot in a plastic bag in the freezer. I emailed the local free cycle and offered the “food” for free.

About 50 people emailed back, offering to pick up the “food.” I ended up giving it to the first lady who emailed, who said it was for someone else, though it might have been for her; her poor hands were so disfigured from arthritis, I don’t see how she could be a seamstress, which is what she told me. There are so many people out there who are hungry, desperate.

The ironic thing is, even though I didn’t eat the “food,” I still bear the guilt of buying it, and thus supporting this horrific industry. My understanding is that if we quit feeding murdered animals all this grain and instead, raised fruits, vegetables and grains for human consumption, we’d have enough food to feed not only the US but the planet in total.

I feel so bad about doing that. I don’t know what’s wrong with me. I think, on reflection, I was buying food for my deceased parents, whom I miss so much, especially around the holidays. I did cook all-vegan holidays meals for them on occasion, but they were not vegetarians and I did shop for my mother when I was young.

What bizarre behavior. Like so many people, I had been crying off and on since the shootings in Newtown, and I guess everything was just too much for me. Anybody else?? I feel so sad right now and I know I’m not the only one. (The recital of my students was so sweet…they’re all so sweet. I can’t image…I won’t image, what those little children went through. It’s just too horrible.)

Last edited by mvintar; 12-16-2012 at 01:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 01:13 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,783,273 times
So sorry mvintar for all your health challenges.

Perhaps you just got someone else's grocery bag that they somehow forgot at the register.

Even if it was a slip, with sweet thoughts of your mama, it is guilt-free.

And how wonderful you inadvertently fed someone else in need.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:35 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,630,674 times
Sorry for you have'n a rough day.

In my opinion everything happens for a reason, through God. Please look at the bright side, you fed some hungry people, and the loved ones(family and the people in Newtown) are closer to Christ.

You did not support an industry that you are not in favor of, you supported a family for a few days. God Bless you.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
Sorry for you have'n a rough day.

In my opinion everything happens for a reason, through God. Please look at the bright side, you fed some hungry people, and the loved ones(family and the people in Newtown) are closer to Christ.

You did not support an industry that you are not in favor of, you supported a family for a few days. God Bless you.
It's so great that we live in a free society where people can express all different kinds of beliefs, just please don't assume that everyone agrees with you, because I certainly don't; I don't see any rational evidence in what you express. I was in essence banned from another forum for just this sort of response; they have a close little clique and made it clear I was not welcome.

Everyone is not a Christian or even believes in anything supernatural, so offering solace to someone whom you really do not know is premature, I think, don't you?

Old 12-17-2012, 11:00 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,672,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
It's so great that we live in a free society where people can express all different kinds of beliefs, just please don't assume that everyone agrees with you, because I certainly don't; I don't see any rational evidence in what you express. I was in essence banned from another forum for just this sort of response; they have a close little clique and made it clear I was not welcome.

Everyone is not a Christian or even believes in anything supernatural, so offering solace to someone whom you really do not know is premature, I think, don't you?
I think we are getting off topic in this vegetarian/vegan forum. Other than you being a vegan, what does what you did have to do with this forum, I think, don't you?

I personally find your response was a tad rude.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:34 AM

I agree about the thread going off-topic; what does Christ and God have to do with it? And why impose those concepts on someone who is not a believer?

Old 12-17-2012, 12:08 PM

7,352 posts, read 11,821,092 times
I think you were so upset, mvintar, that you threw whatever came to hand into your cart and clearly only realized later what had happened. I'm sure the people you passed the food onto were grateful, so there's really not that much to feel guilty about. Now, if you had ordered a butcher to go out and slaughter some animals for you to eat, that would definitely be evidence of some slippage.

Don't underestimate how thrown everyone is by this latest shooting. My sister's kids go to the school (Chardon High) where the last killings happened before this one, and the school is still in total disarray, all these months later.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:13 PM

Yes, and the one thing I don't need is to have everyone pile on me, one after the other -- as has happened elsewhere-- because I'm not religious, as is my right not to be.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:18 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,984,931 times
You could have been so upset you didn't realize what you picked up, but equally likely is that another shopper, also in a bit of a daze from the events of the day, put their items in the wrong shopping cart or a cashier or bagger forgot to give the person in front of you all their items and you ended up with them.

What's done is done, and you helped someone in need eat in the process (even if it's in a way you personally don't agree with). So try your best not to feel guilty and move on from this.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:50 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,630,674 times
I am so sorry, MV. I didn't mean to upset you more. It was premature, but meant in the kindest way.

Please accept my apology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food