Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 07:46 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times

Advertisements

I can understand this dilemma. I decided to pursue vegetarianism when I moved out. [I'm 22, for context]
Before I moved out, my mom made a lot of my meals and I didn't want her to prepare two meals. I also wasn't very skilled at making a lot of vegetarian dishes so I figured once I moved out, I'd be forced to learn vegetarian meals, and that would be that.

I dated a meat eater and prepared meat dishes for her sometimes (and she was accommodating and cooked vegan meals for me). I didn't like cooking meat, but I liked her more than my disgust in cooking meat. If I ever have a girlfriend move in with me and she ate meat, I'd probably have her prepare the meat she eats.

I like thriftylefty's idea of making basic dishes that the meat-eaters can add meat to should they decide to.

You might even be able to make some vegetarian dishes that your family may not even realize are vegetarian. I prepared vegan chili for my former gf and I and she remarked that the mock ground beef I used resembled and tasted a lot like ground beef. It was the LightLife Gimme Lean product, if you're interested. I've tried a few ground beef imitations and this one is the best, IMO.

Best of luck, OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 11:46 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I have close relatives, who I love to death , but they have been known to go out and buy fast food chicken or Big Mac's to eat with a dinner I cooked. They can't shake their dependence on meat not even for a singe meal.

Wow!

Old 03-23-2013, 03:15 PM

51 posts, read 83,568 times
I am a new vegetarian at the old, old age of 41. I make one dish, but add the meat ingredient last so that I can reserve my portion before adding the meat. Or if I make a casserole, one half is meat, the other half is veggie. I have introduced my husband to Meatless Mondays for our health, and as I get better at cooking meatless main dishes (so that they are tasy and filling...I am not there yet) I hope to gradually get the rest of the family on board.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:28 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,610,446 times
This describes my situation to a "T". DW and I are temporarily separated due to work reasons. We have been living apart since July and won't reunite until this July, so one year. While on my own, I have reverted to a vegetarian diet-no meat or fish at all. I do drink milk, maybe a gallon a week. But when she gets back this will all change because she will want to buy meat, but it's never a lot.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krilliekat View Post
I am a new vegetarian at the old, old age of 41. I make one dish, but add the meat ingredient last so that I can reserve my portion before adding the meat. Or if I make a casserole, one half is meat, the other half is veggie. I have introduced my husband to Meatless Mondays for our health, and as I get better at cooking meatless main dishes (so that they are tasy and filling...I am not there yet) I hope to gradually get the rest of the family on board.
So what are you fixing that is vegetarian but NOT tasty or filling? These might be easier fixes than you realize...

Old 04-01-2013, 06:43 AM

12,963 posts, read 13,679,366 times
You can get people use to eating meals with out meat by preparing meals that traditionally don't include meat. Red beans with rice, quiche and there are a variety of Pizza ideas that don't use meat. Even the old standbys ;PBJ's, mac'n cheese have been around forever. Sometimes breakfast for dinner can be meatless
Once people become accustomed to not seeing that piece of meat on the plate three times a day they will at least only expect it on special occasions.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:25 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,174,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
My husband has been incredibly supportive all these years with our whole foods, grains, legumes, veggie diet. Now, however, we are seniors and he is a senior athlete trying to train for a 800 mile bike ride. So for him, we have added salmon, eggs & yogurt into the diet for their nutritional value. It will be interesting to see how it impacts our athletic prowess, although our diet is 95% vegetarian. So family cooperation in diet works both ways!
My son became a vegan as a college freshman 5 years ago and hasn't wavered at all. He climbs "fourteeners" (14,000' mountains), and not the ones in Colorado where you start 7,000+ ft. up, but the ones in the Cascades and Sierras where you go from sea level to the top. He also has run a marathon. All on a vegan diet. There's a well-known vegan powerlifter, whose name escapes me. You don't need animal protein to complete a long bike ride. It won't hurt, of course, but it's not necessary.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:27 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,753,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
My son became a vegan as a college freshman 5 years ago and hasn't wavered at all. He climbs "fourteeners" (14,000' mountains), and not the ones in Colorado where you start 7,000+ ft. up, but the ones in the Cascades and Sierras where you go from sea level to the top. He also has run a marathon. All on a vegan diet. There's a well-known vegan powerlifter, whose name escapes me. You don't need animal protein to complete a long bike ride. It won't hurt, of course, but it's not necessary.
Thanks, ukiyo-e! Your son is a youngster. MrBongo is a 60+ year old athlete who wants to have more yogurt, eggs & salmon in his diet. You are correct that it is not necessary. But for whatever is the etiology, it makes him feel better!

ps I too climbed the 14ers on a vegan/vegetarian diet! My backpacking girlfriends & I have been backpacking sections of the Colorado trail at our age, me eating vegan backpack food LOL.

The big challenge for me is to find instant, lightweight backpacking/camping food like bulgar, dehydrated apricots, polenta, instant hummus, nuts & seeds etc. that doesn't have high sodium (instant refried beans, split pea soup, corn chowder, black bean soup) but has high calorie content.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Thanks, ukiyo-e! Your son is a youngster. MrBongo is a 60+ year old athlete who wants to have more yogurt, eggs & salmon in his diet. You are correct that it is not necessary. But for whatever is the etiology, it makes him feel better!

ps I too climbed the 14ers on a vegan/vegetarian diet! My backpacking girlfriends & I have been backpacking sections of the Colorado trail at our age, me eating vegan backpack food LOL.

The big challenge for me is to find instant, lightweight backpacking/camping food like bulgar, dehydrated apricots, polenta, instant hummus, nuts & seeds etc. that doesn't have high sodium (instant refried beans, split pea soup, corn chowder, black bean soup) but has high calorie content.

Heck, make a big slab of polenta according to your own recipe, slice it into fingers, and dip it in your own salsa, chili or whatever you like. Even homemade applesauce is good on polenta. Ditto the hummus. I personally recommend the unsweetened dry pineapple rings for dessert.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:24 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,753,765 times
We love those dehydrated pineapple rings, blueberries, apricots, MANGOS! And of course good dark chocolate!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food