Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 10:47 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times

Advertisements

I am having a few friends over for dinner next Monday, and I just found out one is a vegetarian (NOT a vegan). How does this menu sound?

- French bread toasted in the oven
- Butter lettuce salad -- butter lettuce, corn, cucumber, avocado, red onion cut into tiny pieces, cherry tomatoes, feta cheese, choice of dressing (I have lite Greek with it ... LOVE this salad!!)
- Slow cooker cheese tortellini: cheese tortellini, spinach, diced tomatoes, veggie broth, lite cream cheese added at the end (this is a recipe from Gentlearts in the Recipes section). I may stir-fry some chicken breast and have that (and the bread) in a warming tray for those who want to add chicken to this pasta dish, but I think it sounds pretty good as it is (and I say that as someone who eats meat/poultry with most dinners).
- Phyllo shells with mixed fresh fruit & whipped cream (or vanilla ice cream) for dessert
- Wine and mixed drinks

I'm using the slow cooker as I will likely be on campus most of the day ... will get home only an hour or two before the guests are due. BTW these are good friends -- no food critics!! -- but I still want to make something nice!

Any comments would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 11:26 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,051,742 times
I'd certainly show up! You've probably gone farther than most would to accommodate vegetarians. I find that people who know I'm a vegetarian will always provide an option for me. However, you've planned an actual vegetarian meal, with the option of adding meat for those so inclined. Looks like a very good and thoughtful menu to me.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:19 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Make sure the person is safe eating dairy. Thousands aren't. If they're clear to ingest cow squeezin's you're in good shape.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Make sure the person is safe eating dairy. Thousands aren't. If they're clear to ingest cow squeezin's you're in good shape.
I specifically asked about food allergies, dislikes, etc., and dairy wasn't mentioned so I think I'm OK there. (She's not a vegan.)

Old 12-03-2013, 06:38 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,763,177 times
I would probably skip the feta in the salad and maybe add artichokes or another vegetable instead. The entree already is providing enough dairy. Otherwise, it sounds like a delicious dinner. Have fun!

Old 12-04-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
I would probably skip the feta in the salad and maybe add artichokes or another vegetable instead. The entree already is providing enough dairy. Otherwise, it sounds like a delicious dinner. Have fun!
Actually, I think I will put the feta in a little bowl on the table so anyone who wants it can just sprinkle it on top of the salad. Thanks for posting!

Old 12-04-2013, 05:08 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Other than the avocado (which I don't like), it sounds like a really awesome meatless meal. You don't have to be a vegetarian to enjoy meatless meals, don't forget

Old 12-04-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Other than the avocado (which I don't like), it sounds like a really awesome meatless meal. You don't have to be a vegetarian to enjoy meatless meals, don't forget
You are right! I am seriously considering skipping the chicken altogether, although I think I will run it by some of the non-vegetarians who are coming, just in case (it would be fine with me). Thanks for responding!

Old 12-07-2013, 11:37 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I am having a few friends over for dinner next Monday, and I just found out one is a vegetarian (NOT a vegan). How does this menu sound?

- French bread toasted in the oven
- Butter lettuce salad -- butter lettuce, corn, cucumber, avocado, red onion cut into tiny pieces, cherry tomatoes, feta cheese, choice of dressing (I have lite Greek with it ... LOVE this salad!!)
- Slow cooker cheese tortellini: cheese tortellini, spinach, diced tomatoes, veggie broth, lite cream cheese added at the end (this is a recipe from Gentlearts in the Recipes section). I may stir-fry some chicken breast and have that (and the bread) in a warming tray for those who want to add chicken to this pasta dish, but I think it sounds pretty good as it is (and I say that as someone who eats meat/poultry with most dinners).
- Phyllo shells with mixed fresh fruit & whipped cream (or vanilla ice cream) for dessert
- Wine and mixed drinks

I'm using the slow cooker as I will likely be on campus most of the day ... will get home only an hour or two before the guests are due. BTW these are good friends -- no food critics!! -- but I still want to make something nice!

Any comments would be appreciated!

Karen it sounds delicious! I think anyone would enjoy this meal.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:49 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times
I'm not a vegetarian and I would really enjoy this meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food