Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 12:30 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
No, no it isn't. True, you can be a junk food vegetarian (although I doubt you can be a junk food vegan...), just as you can be a junk food carnivore. But all my cookbooks and those on my wish list are decisively wholefood based.
There are plenty of vegan junk foods and you'll find plenty of junk at your typical vegan restaurant, etc as such its just as easy to be a junk food vegan. I have no idea what cookbooks are on your wish list, but most vegan cookbooks aren't oriented around healthy eating and contain numerous unhealthy recipes.

But the sort of diet that the OP needs goes beyond the standard recommended diet for health so he'll have to look at the cookbooks that are explicitly geared towards this group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Anyhow, here is my recipe of the day: pan fry or oven bake sliced mushrooms (using a minimal amount of good oil; use a little red wine at the end to unstick them if that happens) with some pepper. Meanwhile, make a rue with healthy oil, flour and almond milk. Flavor the rue with pepper, rosemary, maybe some thyme and sage. Mix with the mushrooms and serve over barley.
This wouldn't be allowed on the Esselstyn or Ornish diet. Oils, even supposedly "healthy" ones, aren't allowed in these diets since they can promote atherosclerosis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 08:38 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,529,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
What your doctors have in mind goes beyond merely a "vegan diet" which is often based on a lot o processed junk so you're going to have to ignore most of the vegan recipes and cookbooks. What they likely have in mind, since they mentioned Forks over Knives, is a whole foods plant based diet. The book you'd want to read is "Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease" by Caldwell Esselstyn and Dr. Dean Ornish has a similar book. Both of these doctors were able to reverse heart disease with a whole foods plant-based diet (though Ornish's program allows small amounts of low-fat milk, egg whites and fish). The reversal diet is pretty restrictive and, like I said, goes well beyond simply eating a vegan diet......but having a restrictive diet is better than the alternative.

The mentioned book contains a number of recipes that won't take 2 hours and you can also look at the book "Better than Vegan" for more recipes that are consist with a heart disease reversal program. You shouldn't have to visit a health food store, and in fact, many of the specialized vegan products are going to be off limits anyways. The base of your diet will be whole grains, legumes, vegetables, fruits with small amounts of nuts and you should be able to find those at any grocery store. You can order whole grain flours, dried legumes, etc online if you have trouble finding them in person.

There is going to be a learning curve and cooking in large bunches is a great way to save time. If you cook your staples in large bunches and freeze them (e.g., cooking a big batch of pea soup) it should only take you 20~30 minutes to prepare a dinner.
You're right. I remember after my surgery in 2004 being given Ornish's book and cookbook at the hospital. The recipes were alright, but time consuming. I didn't wrap my head around the difference between vegan and whole foods plant based.

I searched "Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease" that you mentioned above. In their website is a link to dieticianJeff Novick. Going to check him out some more.

Thanks

Old 03-15-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Al View Post
In their website is a link to dieticianJeff Novick. Going to check him out some more.
Jeff Novick is a good source of information, he was originally a chef and then became a dietitian later so is a good source of information on prepare healthy plant based meals. I believe he has a DVD on how to prepare "fast foods". Healthy burger and fries, etc.

Jeff Novick is associated with Dr McDougall's program which is similar to the others but not explicitly geared around heart disease.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Jeff Novick is a good source of information, he was originally a chef and then became a dietitian later so is a good source of information on prepare healthy plant based meals. I believe he has a DVD on how to prepare "fast foods". Healthy burger and fries, etc.

Jeff Novick is associated with Dr McDougall's program which is similar to the others but not explicitly geared around heart disease.
He's funny too at a time when I need a good laugh.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:30 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
I need help. In 2004 I had quintuple bypass surgery. In 2010 I had a small stroke. Last month, after my blood pressure hit 235/110, I had an angiogram. 2 of the 5 grafted arteries are 100% blocked, 1 is 50%, but thankfully the 2 main grafts are 100% open. The cardiologist told me to go vegan which is what the surgeon told me in 2004. The problem was, in 2004 I crashed and burned after 6 months.

The cardiologist had me watch Forks Over Knives and buy the cookbook. But, what about quick meals for families on the go? I don't eat out anyway, but my wife and I don't always have the time or desire to fix a 10 ingredient, 2 hour meal either. What's out there that is prepared and ready to nuke or heat in the oven? In 2004, what I found was not much and most inedible. Also, what about sweets? My wife, who is in excellent health, loves frozen yogurt, etc..

Thanks for your help in advance.
Are you sure your doctors want you to go vegan, and not vegetarian or pescatarian?
Fish is very healthy.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:58 PM

Dairy and eggs are more problematic than many meats for people with heart disease so a vegetarian diet would have no advantage over a vegan diet.

Fish isn't "very healthy" but there may be some benefit from consuming DHA. Dean Ornish recommends a DHA supplement but Esselstyn does not. There are both vegan and non-vegan DHA supplements.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:57 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,690,013 times
Hi Al,

I'm sorry to hear about your health problems. As someone else suggested, for a vegan diet, you will probably have to throw out almost everything you have in your kitchen; especially things that are white (white bread, crackers, white rice, sugar, etc.), meats, diary and most processed foods. I use stevia as a sweetener. Read labels and don't consume anything with trans fat or hydrogenated oils.

Eat lots and lots of uncooked green leafy veggies.

Did I mention LOTS of green veggies? Don't have a "cute" little salad on the side. Instead, make a humongous one, and let it be the primary focus of your lunch or dinner (both if you like). Go easy on any added dressing and consider making your own from citrus fruit juice.

I'm vegan and I hate to cook. Here are a few of my favorite and very simple meal plans. Mix and match, or create some of your own favorites. There is no need for your meals to be complicated.

Breakfast:
  1. Vegan protein shake with a banana and ground flax seed or hemp.
  2. Oatmeal with berries.
  3. Scrambled tofu with onions, curry powder and bell peppers.
  4. Low sodium organic peanut butter on whole grain low sodium toasted bread. I like Ezekiel Low Sodium bread.
  5. A nuked Morningstar veggie sausage (I know, nuking is not the best thing to do) and berries.
Lunch:
  1. Vegan protein smoothie blended with nuts (or nut butter) and frozen berries.
  2. Salad-Finely chopped kale, or some other green leafy veggie, and add button mushrooms, 1/4 cup of beans, tomatoes and a few raisins, a sliced orange, or berries.
Dinner:
  1. A very large green leafy salad with whatever I decide to toss into it; sometimes topped by nutritional yeast. At times, I nuke a Morningstar veggie burger, chop it up, and place it on top of the salad.
  2. Beans of some sort and a large green salad.
  3. Baked yam with a large green salad and 1/4 cup of beans.
  4. Brown rice and beans plus a green salad.
  5. "Stir-fried" (water and no oil) mixed frozen veggies topped by nutritional yeast, plus a yam and a salad.
Snacks:
  1. Unsalted walnuts, almonds and pistachios mixed with a few raisins or mulberries.
  2. A few dates.
  3. Fresh fruit.
  4. Smoothie with vegan protein, nuts and berries.
  5. Crunchy eggies dipped into mustard (with the sodium), or something else.
Beverages:
  1. Make a jug of freshly squeezed lemon juice (I add stevia) and put it into the fridge. The lemon provides vitamin C.
  2. Herbal teas like rosehips and hibiscus.
  3. Decaffeinated green tea.
  4. Coffee substitutes.
  5. Coffee (bad me) with cinnamon, unsweetened dark cocoa powder (I like Dagoba brand) and stevia.
  6. Plain water.
PS:
Try to lessen the stress in your life. Maybe buy a few relaxation or simple meditation apps for your smartphone. See what sort of exercise your doc suggests, even if it is just walking. Also, don't forget to take a B12 and omega 3 supplements; and see If your cardiologist recommends CoQ10 and vitamin D.

Last edited by pacific2; 03-16-2014 at 01:15 AM..

Old 03-16-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Hi Al,

I'm sorry to hear about your health problems. As someone else suggested, for a vegan diet, you will probably have to throw out almost everything you have in your kitchen; especially things that are white (white bread, crackers, white rice, sugar, etc.), meats, diary and most processed foods. I use stevia as a sweetener. Read labels and don't consume anything with trans fat or hydrogenated oils.

Eat lots and lots of uncooked green leafy veggies.

Did I mention LOTS of green veggies? Don't have a "cute" little salad on the side. Instead, make a humongous one, and let it be the primary focus of your lunch or dinner (both if you like). Go easy on any added dressing and consider making your own from citrus fruit juice.

I'm vegan and I hate to cook. Here are a few of my favorite and very simple meal plans. Mix and match, or create some of your own favorites. There is no need for your meals to be complicated.

Breakfast:
  1. Vegan protein shake with a banana and ground flax seed or hemp.
  2. Oatmeal with berries.
  3. Scrambled tofu with onions, curry powder and bell peppers.
  4. Low sodium organic peanut butter on whole grain low sodium toasted bread. I like Ezekiel Low Sodium bread.
  5. A nuked Morningstar veggie sausage (I know, nuking is not the best thing to do) and berries.
Lunch:
  1. Vegan protein smoothie blended with nuts (or nut butter) and frozen berries.
  2. Salad-Finely chopped kale, or some other green leafy veggie, and add button mushrooms, 1/4 cup of beans, tomatoes and a few raisins, a sliced orange, or berries.
Dinner:
  1. A very large green leafy salad with whatever I decide to toss into it; sometimes topped by nutritional yeast. At times, I nuke a Morningstar veggie burger, chop it up, and place it on top of the salad.
  2. Beans of some sort and a large green salad.
  3. Baked yam with a large green salad and 1/4 cup of beans.
  4. Brown rice and beans plus a green salad.
  5. "Stir-fried" (water and no oil) mixed frozen veggies topped by nutritional yeast, plus a yam and a salad.
Snacks:
  1. Unsalted walnuts, almonds and pistachios mixed with a few raisins or mulberries.
  2. A few dates.
  3. Fresh fruit.
  4. Smoothie with vegan protein, nuts and berries.
  5. Crunchy eggies dipped into mustard (with the sodium), or something else.
Beverages:
  1. Make a jug of freshly squeezed lemon juice (I add stevia) and put it into the fridge. The lemon provides vitamin C.
  2. Herbal teas like rosehips and hibiscus.
  3. Decaffeinated green tea.
  4. Coffee substitutes.
  5. Coffee (bad me) with cinnamon, unsweetened dark cocoa powder (I like Dagoba brand) and stevia.
  6. Plain water.
PS:
Try to lessen the stress in your life. Maybe buy a few relaxation or simple meditation apps for your smartphone. See what sort of exercise your doc suggests, even if it is just walking. Also, don't forget to take a B12 and omega 3 supplements; and see If your cardiologist recommends CoQ10 and vitamin D.
Thanks for your great suggestions.
You wouldn't think being senior pastor of a 600 member church and 200 student school would be stressful. LOL. However, I'm slowly handing everything over to my replacement. Once retired I'll have to find a sign that says Gone Gardernin' instead of Gone Fishin'.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Dairy and eggs are more problematic than many meats for people with heart disease so a vegetarian diet would have no advantage over a vegan diet.

Fish isn't "very healthy" but there may be some benefit from consuming DHA. Dean Ornish recommends a DHA supplement but Esselstyn does not. There are both vegan and non-vegan DHA supplements.
I did have a ? about supplements. I've read vegans need extra B12 and amino acids. True?

Old 03-16-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
I did have a ? about supplements. I've read vegans need extra B12 and amino acids. True?
Its recommended that vegans, vegetarians and anybody over 50 take a B12 supplement. All you have to do is take a 500~1000 mcg a few times a week and a bottle should be a few bucks at walmart or target. Often breakfast cereal, almond milk, etc are fortified with B12 as well.

B12 is the only supplement that you need to take but your doctors may recommend others. There is no need to supplement amino acids, you can get all the essential amino acids from a well balanced plant-based diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food