Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 02:18 PM

146 posts, read 350,387 times

Advertisements

My partner is an omni and I'm a hardcore vegan for a long time now. I don't think it's too much of a strain; she has a different way of eating, but there are so many other differences we have too. We don't normally kiss while eating either.

On a side note, I unfortunately had to work with raw, relatively unprocessed meats of every kind for quite a while at a charcuterie. While I had some strong ethical qualms with the work, you have to do what you can to make a living. I told her she'd probably quit eating meat if she had to do the work I did, and she agreed.

I didn't lose weight after becoming vegan, but I went vegan at age 11 when I was about 20 pounds overweight. So I did become a lot leaner; I "grew in" to all that baby fat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 10:41 AM

13,003 posts, read 1,019,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
"So many of you"? Well, I guess I have wonderful and respectful friends. Whenever I go out, or to a party, I am usually asked what I'd like to eat. I am also asked to bring something, if I can't eat what's being served. But almost invariably there are vegan or veggie dishes there. No problem. Going out of your way for a guest is easy - it's just being a good host/hostess.
Thank you SeeBee. I have even gotten my boss to offer veggen foods. I work at a college and out of 14 people in my department 9 of us are veggens. I do not try to be a problem for anyone. I pack my own and I ask ahead of time the menu. So I guess us people are problems for some people reguardless of our efforts.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
The breath doesn't bother me, haven't noticed anyway, but last night I cooked some meat for the family and I was so grossed out that I wanted to throw up.

I told DH that they may have to only eat meat when we are out or if he cooks it, I can't handle it anymore.

Dawn

Have you tried the ToFu hotdogs? I have and they smell bad to me and my family. Like a weird chemical. If my youngest wants a hamburger I take him to Ruby Tuesday's. I like my house to smell beautiful not like dead flesh. Thanks.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
I don't tell people, period. I went on a 5 day outing to the beach with my girlfriends and there were adequate fruits and veggies and I just didn't say anything and only one person commented on me not getting the salmon puff on my plate.

Dawn
I think ordering carefully is best. I keep it to myself because most of our friends and family think differently. But my boys understand and my oldest is following in my footstep. Have a wonderful day.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:26 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,477,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gym rat View Post
I have even gotten my boss to offer veggen foods. I work at a college and out of 14 people in my department 9 of us are veggens.
That is absolutely amazing! And I can imagine your having run into diffifulty with your choices considering where you live.

When I first became a herbivore (sounds so much better to me then vegetarian), I must've heard every goofy, insulting, ridiculous comment you can think of, like a lot of folks. Now - at least where I live - people aren't so off-put by the idea, just more or less a little eye-rolling.

I can't handle the smell of roasting meat either. I have to walk the other way. But I keep it to myself, as well, unless I am asked directly. My friends know, and your true friends will respect your choices.

I am amazed at people who make the choice as a child or very young adult. Good on them!!!

I just don't understand why this is so threatening to some people. Keep on the good fight!

Old 08-29-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
That is absolutely amazing! And I can imagine your having run into diffifulty with your choices considering where you live.

When I first became a herbivore (sounds so much better to me then vegetarian), I must've heard every goofy, insulting, ridiculous comment you can think of, like a lot of folks. Now - at least where I live - people aren't so off-put by the idea, just more or less a little eye-rolling.

I can't handle the smell of roasting meat either. I have to walk the other way. But I keep it to myself, as well, unless I am asked directly. My friends know, and your true friends will respect your choices.

I am amazed at people who make the choice as a child or very young adult. Good on them!!!

I just don't understand why this is so threatening to some people. Keep on the good fight!
What is funny is that colleges are very receptive, because many of the professor are from India, Iraq and Iran. So it is part of their lifestyle and religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food