Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 10:08 AM

80 posts, read 70,326 times

Advertisements

Does anyone follow a low carb veggie diet? If so can you give me ideas of what you eat day to day? I'm trying to cut down on beans / legumes as well but understand that may not be totally realistic Any input would be wonderful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 11:56 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,974,134 times
Mrs BATCAT does for the most part. (I eat similarly but due to my high metabolism eat more carbs)

She does not avoid legumes. Other than those, eats a lot of greens, in particular kale and spinach, also various vegetables- (broccoli, asparagus, eggplant, cauliflower) a moderate amount of fruit, and also tempeh and tofu. Breakfasts are usually an egg with a small amount of carbs on the side.

She is not a vegetarian, and does eat a small bit of fish, but usually only a few times a month.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:10 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,973,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggirll View Post
Does anyone follow a low carb veggie diet? If so can you give me ideas of what you eat day to day? I'm trying to cut down on beans / legumes as well but understand that may not be totally realistic Any input would be wonderful!
That sounds like an impossible diet.

I have to eat some grains or eat meat. I can't eat eggs in every meal, I would go insane.

Old 08-04-2015, 03:53 PM

400 posts, read 414,347 times
I am a lacto ovo vegetarian on a 1200 cal diet right now for weight loss. I live on salad, vegetable soup and milk. An egg every other day or so. No cheese, no carbs, no beans. I take a good vitamin. Three months of making cheese, ice cream, yogurt, butter from the milk of my Jersey cow made me gain 20lbs.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:29 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggirll View Post
Eat less bread. Only whole grain. No more than two slices per day. Fall in love with leafy greens - at eat as many as you wish. Eat citrus fruits. Three per day and one non citrus. Think of bananas as candy.
Brown rice - not white. Whole grain pasta - not white.

Use fake meats. Many are low in carbs.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:39 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,480,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Wallow View Post
I am a lacto ovo vegetarian on a 1200 cal diet right now for weight loss. I live on salad, vegetable soup and milk. An egg every other day or so. No cheese, no carbs, no beans. I take a good vitamin. Three months of making cheese, ice cream, yogurt, butter from the milk of my Jersey cow made me gain 20lbs.
It's a well known fact that fat does not make you fat. Carbohydrates do unless you burn them. Look for example at the Chinese people that eat a lot of rice which is pure carbs. Sometimes they eat nothing else so that is their fuel and they metabolize it. You rarely see fat Chinese people. If you eat fat without the carbs you will not gain weight. Milk contains carbs from lactose, cream contains very few carbs. The sugar in the ice cream is of course pure carbs.

Old 08-07-2015, 11:51 AM

811 posts, read 1,148,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
It's a well known fact that fat does not make you fat. Carbohydrates do unless you burn them. Look for example at the Chinese people that eat a lot of rice which is pure carbs. Sometimes they eat nothing else so that is their fuel and they metabolize it. You rarely see fat Chinese people. If you eat fat without the carbs you will not gain weight. Milk contains carbs from lactose, cream contains very few carbs. The sugar in the ice cream is of course pure carbs.
Yikes, no. I'm sorry to be contrary, but this is simply not true at all. All energetic calories from food - carbohydrates, proteins, and, yes, fats - can be stored on our bodies as fat. Too many calories is what causes weight gain. The nuances of how our body processes each type of calorie is far less important. Yes, there are factors there, but calories in vs. calories out is the big one. Eating rice can make you fat if you eat too much. Eating fats like butter and oil can make you fat if you eat too much. Eating chicken breasts can make you fat if you eat too much. Etc. etc.

Carbs are not the bad guy, but empty calories (which a lot of carbs have become, especially heavily processed grains and sugary everything) are the bad guy. Including whole grains (that have fiber, vitamins, phytonutrients, minerals... in them) in your diet is a good thing! If weight is the concern, count calories and focus on including nutrient-dense foods in your diet. The ANDI guide (aggregate nutrient density index) can help a lot with this.

Once again, fat can make you fat. So can carbs. So can proteins. Intaking more calories than you burn makes you gain weight. Period.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:08 PM

To the OP:

This is a tricky one... I like the challenge though! Do make sure that you're paying attention to the quality of protein your intaking. It doesn't have to be all at once, but you want to get those 9 essential amino acids (that your body can't make on its own) into your system each day. Several grains and legumes are normally an easy, one-stop-shop way to do that (quinoa, buckwheat, soy, seitan, rice + beans...), but you do have other options of course. If you're trying to stay away from legumes and carbs, up your intake of seeds and nuts. That will be an important source of proteins and good fats for you! Chia seeds are a complete protein (and are kind of a wonder-food in general!), as are hemp seeds. If you allow yourself eggs or dairy, then you'll get complete proteins from those items as well. Eggs and dairy (which are high protein and generally low-carb) could/would make your plan a lot easier, for sure!

It's always tough for me to build a meal that feels satisfying without some kind of carb in there, but if you'll allow yourself some cauliflower puree (a perfect, if not improved, foil for mashed potatoes), or some steamed squash (a wedge of steamed, mashed acorn squash with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper is so easy and yummy), then you can build around that with your other fruits, vegetables, and proteins. I think avocados might be your friend here too - hearty and satisfying, but low in carbs.

Let us know whether you do eggs + dairy or not, I might be able to help with some specific meal suggestions from there. Good luck!

Old 08-07-2015, 12:41 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,480,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandCityGirl View Post
Yikes, no. I'm sorry to be contrary, but this is simply not true at all. All energetic calories from food - carbohydrates, proteins, and, yes, fats - can be stored on our bodies as fat. Too many calories is what causes weight gain. The nuances of how our body processes each type of calorie is far less important. Yes, there are factors there, but calories in vs. calories out is the big one. Eating rice can make you fat if you eat too much. Eating fats like butter and oil can make you fat if you eat too much. Eating chicken breasts can make you fat if you eat too much. Etc. etc.

Carbs are not the bad guy, but empty calories (which a lot of carbs have become, especially heavily processed grains and sugary everything) are the bad guy. Including whole grains (that have fiber, vitamins, phytonutrients, minerals... in them) in your diet is a good thing! If weight is the concern, count calories and focus on including nutrient-dense foods in your diet. The ANDI guide (aggregate nutrient density index) can help a lot with this.

Once again, fat can make you fat. So can carbs. So can proteins. Intaking more calories than you burn makes you gain weight. Period.
I guess we can just agree to disagree then. I have been on a low carb HIGH FAT diet for about 8 months now. I have not eaten more than 40-50 grams of carbs per day for that period of time without ANY regard to calories. In fact the ratio I am shooting for is 85%, 10%, 5% (Fat, Protein, Carbs). I am diabetic so let me throw that in and the main reason for me being on this diet is blood sugar control. I have lost 40+ lbs as well. My lipid numbers dropped like crazy (cholesterol by 50% and triglycerides by 75%)

As for the consuming more calories than you burn theory you can throw that out of the window. No low calorie diet EVER worked for me (with or without exercise). I go so tired of counting calories and never lost a single pound! 400 calories of Doritos do NOT affect your body in the same way as 400 calories of high-quality vegetables and protein. Again I can speak for myself and I not just talking out of you know what, I have myself to prove it.

Let me just say this. Fats DO make you fat when they are combined with large amounts of carbohydrates. By themselves they do NOT make you fat. We are so hardwired to believe that fats are bad. I was the same way but I am changing my way of thinking. The LCHF diet is a paleo diet but with the dairy added in.

The 11 Most Destructive Nutrition Lies Ever Told - Business Insider
LCHF Diet Explained - Is it Extreme? - Ketogenic Woman

Last edited by gguerra; 08-07-2015 at 12:56 PM..

Old 08-07-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I guess we can just agree to disagree then. I have been on a low carb HIGH FAT diet for about 8 months now. I have not eaten more than 40-50 grams of carbs per day for that period of time without ANY regard to calories. In fact the ratio I am shooting for is 85%, 10%, 5% (Fat, Protein, Carbs). I am diabetic so let me throw that in and the main reason for me being on this diet is blood sugar control. I have lost 40+ lbs as well. My lipid numbers dropped like crazy (cholesterol by 50% and triglycerides by 75%)

As for the consuming more calories than you burn theory you can throw that out of the window. No low calorie diet EVER worked for me (with or without exercise). I go so tired of counting calories and never lost a single pound! 400 calories of Doritos do NOT affect your body in the same way as 400 calories of high-quality vegetables and protein. Again I can speak for myself and I not just talking out of you know what, I have myself to prove it.

Let me just say this. Fats DO make you fat when they are combined with large amounts of carbohydrates. By themselves they do NOT make you fat. We are so hardwired to believe that fats are bad. I was the same way but I am changing my way of thinking. The LCHF diet is a paleo diet but with the dairy added in.

The 11 Most Destructive Nutrition Lies Ever Told - Business Insider
LCHF Diet Explained - Is it Extreme? - Ketogenic Woman
I agree with both of your links! Good info! Just be careful to not take them out of context...

You definitely have a special situation going on with your metabolism personally, regarding diabetes. Even so, the first law of thermodynamics still applies. You absolutely are able to eat nothing but fat and still gain weight. If I eat 30 avocados everyday, trust me, i will gain weight. Your data about the way our bodies metabolize sugars is good, it just needs to not be taken out of context. Thermodynamics is still the primary dictator of metabolism. I could go crazy posting links regarding that too... As I mentioned before, there are absolutely other factors at play; your case with diabetes is a perfect example and I'm thrilled for you that you've found a way to maintain a healthy metabolism by shifting away from carbohydrates. I still contend that you will gain weight if you consume calories beyond the energy that your body can metabolize. 30 avocados a day will make you fat. Let's not try it though, right?

Last edited by IslandCityGirl; 08-07-2015 at 04:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food