Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 12:46 PM

192 posts, read 560,424 times

Advertisements

Don't forget the quinoa--it's a complete protein (9 amino acids). It isn't a meat substitute from a texture standpoint, but could make up for the missing protein in a portobello sandwich. Very versatile and yummy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 01:22 PM

371 posts, read 1,260,322 times
Quorn products...naked cutlets...for anything "chicken" like fajitas or chicken parmesan or chicken sandwiches.

Morning Star for 'sausage' or 'beef 'crumbles, hot dogs and Prime Grillers for burgers. I also use their sausage patties for breakfast sandwiches. I love their chicken strips or nuggets, too.

Boca for awesome Italian sausage..cut up on pizza or in tomato sauce.

St. Ives for pepperoni slices and some 'lunch meats'.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:57 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,021,164 times
The Quorn stuff is good, but they're not vegan (and my husband is).

Morningstar substitutes are what we use most. The crumbles are great in chili, manwich, and goulash. We use the steak strips in this dish that's a converted recipe from my grandmother - "beef steak" potato bake (really good comfort food), and their chicken strips are great for chicken cacciatore and chicken parm.

Safeway was selling their own brand "Eating Right" of vegan sausage patties and links that were really good, but I haven't seen them in a while.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:15 AM

13,003 posts, read 1,019,911 times
I think we go through 5 or 6 lbs of soy beans a week. We use them as a snack when playing cards with the kids or watching movies. Beats popcorn with butter falling off of it.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:02 PM

23 posts, read 108,047 times
Okay so this might not be the healthiest recommendation, but I'm a sucker for the frozen meat alternatives (Morningstar Farms chik'n patties, hot dogs, corn dogs, veg burgers, "riblets," crumbles, etc, Quorn "Naked chik'n cutlets", etc) You can find just about any meat substitution nowadays in the frozen section of, say, whole foods or other natural food stores. Been a strict ovo-lacto veg for 15 yrs now and our options have gotten SO much better now. Tofu and beans are great, remember to get your iron too, though, and vitamin C to help it absorb better! Dark leafy greens, kidney beans, nuts, etc. Good luck!

Old 08-27-2008, 02:35 PM

146 posts, read 350,350 times
I have to admit, I love meat analogues. Tofurky roasts and sausages are pretty great. I'm dying to try the frozen vegan Buffalo wings the supermarket sells here, but the price is ridiculous at $6 a box.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:42 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,924,116 times
Make your own gluten-based meat substitutes. It's easy and you can flavor/shape them however you like.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:07 PM

3 posts, read 36,378 times
Bocaburgers have meat traces in them dont eat them

Old 08-14-2010, 06:39 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,682,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houndsis View Post
Bocaburgers have meat traces in them dont eat them
this is not true.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:17 PM

11 posts, read 44,438 times
I personally love tofu and seitan. There are also tons of vegetarian meat substitutes out there that are much healthier and still taste great (maybe not exactly like what they are trying to replace, but still delicious). I've gotten into the tofurkey deli slices, morning star veggie crumbles (great for mexican food), and veggie nuggets/buffalo wings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food