Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 05:02 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,712,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Okay, time for an update.

I weighed 199 today! I haven't been under 200 pounds in years! I had my blood pressure checked at the dentist (I know!) a few days ago and it was 168/86. This is without medication since 8/13.

My friend freaked out when I told her my bp, so I took a Losartan, and 30 minutes later felt so sick I went to bed. Next day got up and did some research on Dr. McDougall's website about blood pressure and he uses the British standard regarding when a doctor would start prescribing bp medication. That is when a patient's bp is sustained over a period of several months at 160/100.

So, looking at the British standard, and considering I just went off bp meds, I think I'm okay. The thing is, I feel really good. I was feeling really good at the dentist office and when my friend called me and scared me into taking the Losartan lol.
Good going! If I were in your shoes, though, I think I would not drop any meds without first consulting with my doctor. Don't forget that some of Dr. McDougall's Starch Solution patients must remain on medication, but at lower levels, even though they follow his program.

Dr. McDougall always cautions that people should work with their physicians around medications, and your doctor may every well say you no longer need your BP meds, or not.

Also, unless you are totally against added oils, you might want to check Dr. Greger's site, Nutritionfacts.org, for research information on how ground flaxseed has been demonstrated to help lower blood pressure.

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/fla...-hypertension/

BTW, if you go to Dr. Esselstyn's FAQ section, you will see that he thinks that 1-2 tablespoons of flax meal (ground flax seed) daily is okay:
FAQ | Dr. Esselstyn's Prevent & Reverse Heart Disease Program

He still insists that free oils should never be consumed.

Dr. Greger's research additionally shows that regular consumption of hibiscus tea might be worth considering in one's efforts to lower BP:
https://nutritionfacts.org/video/hib...-hypertension/

Last edited by pacific2; 09-01-2017 at 05:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 05:44 PM

Regarding hypertension, some physicians, like Dr. Michael Greger, think that 120/80 is "normal," but not ideal.

High Blood Pressure: Normal but Not Natural
Written By Michael Greger M.D. FACLM on April 6th, 2017
https://nutritionfacts.org/2017/04/0...t-not-natural/

"The 140/90 cut-off is arbitrary. Just like studies that show the lower our cholesterol the better—there’s really no safe level above about 150—blood pressure studies also support a “lower the better” approach. Even people who start out with blood pressure under 120/80 appear to benefit from blood pressure reduction. The ideal blood pressure, the no-benefit-from-reducing-it-further blood pressure, appears to be 110/70. Is it possible to get blood pressures under 110 over 70? It’s not just possible, it can be normal for those eating healthy enough diets (see How Not to Die from High Blood Pressure).

Over two years at a rural Kenyan hospital, 1,800 patients were admitted. How many cases of high blood pressure were found? Zero. Wow. They must have had low rates of heart disease. Actually, they had no rates of heart disease. Not low risk—no risk. Not a single case of arteriosclerosis was found.
Having a “normal” blood pressure may set you up for dying from “normal” causes such as heart attacks and strokes."

Old 09-03-2017, 09:38 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,612,032 times
I put in a request for my doctor to approve blood tests, so I can see how I'm doing.

Something I've realized, though, is that I can't just eat anything I want to on this diet, even if it's plant-based, oil-free foods - focusing on the starch-based diet, specifically.

I watched a good pre-recorded webinar today that explains calorie dense foods. Since I have a hard time losing weight, and am an overeater, just eliminating animal products and oil isn't going to be enough to lose the weight I want to lose.

This video was really helpful to watch today. Just being more aware of, for instance, how many potatoes I can eat vs. a handful of nuts. Since I like to pig out, what I need to do is eat foods that have lower calories, but are filling - like potatoes.

I can eat corn tortillas filled with beans and rice all day long, but eventually, those calories are going to cause me to hit a plateau, which I'm already kind of hitting. Or I'm just not losing as fast as I'd like.

So, it's not an all-you-can-eat buffet, this diet. Even if I'm not eating tons of nuts or avocados, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX7sYos2k5k

This was a live webinar with the Medical Director of the McDougall Program, Anthony Lim, MD on the problems people face on plant based, low fat diets, who aren't losing the weight they want. He's a young doctor and I found it really helpful.

Old 09-04-2017, 01:54 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,964,238 times
I'd note that some vitamins and antioxidants are best absorbed when paired with fats, so that may be something to be mindful of. Carrots, leafy greens and tomatoes are in the category of better nutrition when combined with fat.

Also, it seems that moderate fat Mediterranean (with meat or not) due really well from a health perspective. I do not think fat is the enemy.

I think the plants are the most important part of the equation!

Old 09-05-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I'd note that some vitamins and antioxidants are best absorbed when paired with fats, so that may be something to be mindful of. Carrots, leafy greens and tomatoes are in the category of better nutrition when combined with fat.

Also, it seems that moderate fat Mediterranean (with meat or not) due really well from a health perspective. I do not think fat is the enemy.

I think the plants are the most important part of the equation!
Well, that's a new one. You must eat fat with your veggies, in order to get the nutrients out of them.

Watch this documentary, and you may change your mind:

https://www.amazon.com/Forks-Over-Kn.../dp/B005K23RS0

You get all the essential fats you need from plants. What the Mediterranean diet does right is everything they eat - other than olive oil.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:50 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,590,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Regarding hypertension, some physicians, like Dr. Michael Greger, think that 120/80 is "normal," but not ideal.

High Blood Pressure: Normal but Not Natural
Written By Michael Greger M.D. FACLM on April 6th, 2017
https://nutritionfacts.org/2017/04/0...t-not-natural/

"The 140/90 cut-off is arbitrary. Just like studies that show the lower our cholesterol the better—there’s really no safe level above about 150—blood pressure studies also support a “lower the better” approach. Even people who start out with blood pressure under 120/80 appear to benefit from blood pressure reduction. The ideal blood pressure, the no-benefit-from-reducing-it-further blood pressure, appears to be 110/70. Is it possible to get blood pressures under 110 over 70? It’s not just possible, it can be normal for those eating healthy enough diets (see How Not to Die from High Blood Pressure).

Over two years at a rural Kenyan hospital, 1,800 patients were admitted. How many cases of high blood pressure were found? Zero. Wow. They must have had low rates of heart disease. Actually, they had no rates of heart disease. Not low risk—no risk. Not a single case of arteriosclerosis was found.
Having a “normal” blood pressure may set you up for dying from “normal” causes such as heart attacks and strokes."

Is there any better way to go than from a heart attack - say at 85. I mean you all have to die from something. You don't die of nothing, you die of something. It isn't an option that you can somehow get around dying by eating right. I can't think of anything better than a quick over-before-you-know-it sudden end (as long as you had the foresight to get your affairs in order). No lingering long cancer death, some neurological disease that slowly ends you and reduces your mobility, Alzheimer's leading to loss of memory and life, or facing down some terminal disease. Really, keeping active and mobile and dropping down of a heart attack at 85 must be one of the best ways to go. And of course "dying in your sleep" is basically a heart attack in bed.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:50 PM

Okay, I'm really excited to update this thread.

I stopped all meat products and all medications and supplements as of August 13th. I was taking medications for high blood pressure, high cholesterol and others.

I previously reported my blood pressure reading at the dentist office which was, as I recall, 168/86.

Today, I tested my blood pressure several times. Once at a Walmart Pharmacy, right after I'd been walking all around Walmart and while talking and standing up at the Walmart Pharmacy counter. Then, I later went to a CVS Pharmacy for other stuff, and used their automatic machine. These are my results:

1) Walmart Pharmacy, while standing and talking right after walking all over the store: 119/104. I did not record the pulse rate.

2) About 30 minutes later at a CVS Pharmacy, where I could use a machine for free:

a) 125/86, pulse 80

b) after sitting and calming down for about 3 minutes: 114/84 pulse 80

c) same CVS after waiting a while longer: 118/85 pulse 77.

So, even at two different locations, after being active and not being active, my blood pressure has significantly improved!

Now, I also want to mention that my weight this morning was 198.

I started this vegan diet August 13th, weighing 204 pounds. At that time, I stopped all meds and stopped consuming all animal products - but, I was still consuming olive oil a few times a week, as well as coconut milk and nuts and seeds.

I lost (before stopping olive oil and seeds and nuts) 2 pounds in 16 days.

After stopping all oil, nuts and seeds, and coconut millk, I lost 4 lbs in 8 days!

I've lost 6 pounds in 24 days.

But, please note, I've lost twice as many pounds since I cut out oil and seeds and nuts.

Now, plant based anything (other than oil) is not bad for you. But, if you want to lose weight, you also have to limit those.

Bottom line is, I'm feeling great, losing weight, and my health is improving. When I get lab tests on my cholesterol, I'll update again.

Just for the record, I eat a lot of beans, rice, corn tortillas, split pea soup. Tonight I had spaghetti with spaghetti sauce that doesn't have added oil, etc.

To splurge to reward myself today, instead of buying a pizza and pigging it down - I bought myself a new shower curtain that was just so perfect at my local Ross Dress For Less :-)

Old 09-06-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:

I stopped all meat products and all medications and supplements as of August 13th. I was taking medications for high blood pressure, high cholesterol and others.

I previously reported my blood pressure reading at the dentist office which was, as I recall, 168/86.

Today, I tested my blood pressure several times. Once at a Walmart Pharmacy, right after I'd been walking all around Walmart and while talking and standing up at the Walmart Pharmacy counter. Then, I later went to a CVS Pharmacy for other stuff, and used their automatic machine. These are my results:

1) Walmart Pharmacy, while standing and talking right after walking all over the store: 119/104. I did not record the pulse rate.

2) About 30 minutes later at a CVS Pharmacy, where I could use a machine for free:

a) 125/86, pulse 80

So, even at two different locations, after being active and not being active, my blood pressure has significantly improved!

I started this vegan diet August 13th, weighing 204 pounds. At that time, I stopped all meds and stopped consuming all animal products - but, I was still consuming olive oil a few times a week, as well as coconut milk and nuts and seeds.

After stopping all oil, nuts and seeds, and coconut millk, I lost 4 lbs in 8 days!

But, please note, I've lost twice as many pounds since I cut out oil and seeds and nuts.

Now, plant based anything (other than oil) is not bad for you. But, if you want to lose weight, you also have to limit those.

Bottom line is, I'm feeling great, losing weight, and my health is improving. When I get lab tests on my cholesterol, I'll update again.

Just for the record, I eat a lot of beans, rice, corn tortillas, split pea soup. Tonight I had spaghetti with spaghetti sauce that doesn't have added oil, etc.

To splurge to reward myself today, instead of buying a pizza and pigging it down - I bought myself a new shower curtain that was just so perfect at my local Ross Dress For Less :-)
Amazing. Somebody is on to somethin' good.

If you ever have time to kill, need some tasty recipes, or want additional inspiration, checkout Chef AJ on YouTube.

If I recall correctly, she's about 5'6" and went from maybe a high of around 200 pounds, down to about 166, and finally to about 117. She's very much a down-to-earth type of person and does the Q&A video/ cooking lessons from her LA kitchen. Chef AJ follows McDougall, Neal Barnard, Esselstyne, T. Colin Campbell, Greger, etc., and has had some of them on her YouTube program. She's also received endorsements from them on her cookbook(s).

BTW, Gustavo, the guy who helps Dr. McDougall during his webinars, sometimes assists her.

Last edited by pacific2; 09-06-2017 at 08:21 PM..

Old 09-06-2017, 08:19 PM

337 posts, read 312,871 times
Quote:

a) 125/86, pulse 80

Thanks for the update. That's awesome!

Old 09-06-2017, 10:40 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,013,698 times
Those are good results.

I want to add that there is nothing wrong with olive oil, specifically extra virgin, which is cold-pressed and not processed. (If eating it is harmful then so too would be eating olives.) Olive oil production in no way compares to the industrial processes used to create other vegetable oils.

There is also no need to avoid seeds and nuts, since you need their fats and trace elements. If you limit yourself to just leafy greens, beans and (processed) pasta, tortillas, etc., you will not be getting all the nutrients you need and may end up looking as horrible as too many vegans do.

Quote:
Now, plant based anything (other than oil) is not bad for you.
Cookies are plant based and contribute nothing to good health. Refined flours (like in tortillas and pasta), etc. are plant based but, again, detrimental to health. The key is Whole Plant Based -- unrefined, and in their original form.

Quote:

a) 125/86, pulse 80

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food