Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 08:38 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times

Advertisements

Might actually learn something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giD_S2mr7Iw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2019, 09:37 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
It may depend on the practice. I also do a job that involves reviewing medical records (typically from the Midwest, although I occasionally see some from other parts of the country) and they typically recommend the DASH diet or a Mediterranean diet for people with hypertension. It focuses on whole grains, lots of fruits and vegetables, and moderate amounts of poultry and fish, but limits stuff like red meat, refined carbs, etc.
When you combine the DASH diet and the MIND diet (grains, salads, fish, nuts, etc.) you have a decreased risk of Alzheimer's/neuro degenerative delay.

Old 11-22-2019, 08:27 AM

1,198 posts, read 661,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinwomb View Post
In 2010 when I was an omni I had my total cholesterol and HDL measured. Total was 155 and HDL 62. I was 5'5.5" and 105 lbs at that time. Levels in very healthy range despite decades of hypothyroidism and a decade of surgical menopause. I was also very active with exercise and ate very healthy, very little processed food and sugar.

In 2012, when I was strict vegan for 1.5 years eating very little oil and very little processed food, I had a full lipid panel done. Total cholesterol was 125, HDL dropped to 57, LDL was 67, triglycerides 40s (can't remember exact number), glucose 86. Again I was still same height and weight and same exercise regimen. So total dropped by 30 points just from a year and a half of being vegan at that time. HDL however also dropped somewhat but still healthy range.

I was vegan for 6.5 years but am now pescetarian and eat about 2-3 eggs per week (usually a weekend thing) and limited dairy. Fish is 1-2x week, otherwise still very much plant based. I am due for a full lipid panel this December so I am looking forward to comparing. I am 47 now, 112 lbs, still very active. I suspect my HDL will be higher again due to fish consumption as well as still consuming ground flaxseed regularly and walnuts, almonds etc regularly, daily leafy greens etc. I still keep oil to a minimum but enjoy a little on occasion.

I should also mention my blood pressure always runs low and always has. Last week it was 100/67 during a checkup.

Heart disease and high blood pressure do not run in my family at all. There is serious longevity on my Dad's side with great Grandma living to 105 and robust til the end, great aunt to 101 and grandma to 93. The men have died younger but were smokers and heavy drinkers. All were meat and dairy eaters, but also very poor and rail thin so likely they didn't eat a ton of it. My great aunt would babysit me when I was little and she fed me tiny portions of food as this is what she ate herself. She never drove or owned a car in her life.

I'll be revisiting in the next six months.
Just an update as I had a full fasting lipid profile done again this last week. To reiterate, I am 5'5.5", 112 lbs, age 47, in surgical menopause but on hrt, have had hypothyroidism for 31 years but well managed the last few years. I am a former long time vegan who has now been pescetarian for exactly two years. I eat fish 2x week, about 3 eggs per week, 4 to 5 servings of dairy, otherwise all plants. I'm a very regular exercise. I'm also on a med for osteoporosis that can increase cholesterol. That said, here are my most recent labs, all excellent.

Total cholesterol 155
Ldl 75
Hdl 70
Triglycerides 50
Glucose 87

I also had a full iron panel to follow up on borderline anemia when I was vegan. Ferritin is now 65, was 17 to 21 as a vegan. Hemoglobin is 14.3 and was 11.7 to 12 as vegan. My TSH was also checked and is 1.34 so very decent. All electrolytes snack in middle of normal range. The only number slightly off is iron saturation is 14% with normal range 15 to 50%. But all other iron numbers were well within range. So I feel for me personally I am on the right track with my lifestyle from a health viewpoint. Eating a small amount of fish, eggs, and dairy has helped me in some ways and certainly hasn't hurt. I'm still mostly plant based and mostly whole foods but I do occasionally consume olive oil or coconut oil. I'm pleased with my lab results! Next April I will have a follow up dexa scan to see if my bone density is continuing to improve.

Old 11-22-2019, 08:31 AM

1,198 posts, read 661,109 times
Forgot to add, blood pressure was 100/68. Oxygen was 100%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food