Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 12:30 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,533,345 times

Advertisements

Newest wonderful discovery - Trader Joe's falafel mix. It's vegan, and has no oil in it either. You just add water to the dry mix. There are recipe directions for either fried or baked options. I baked mine, although it did say to spray the falafel balls with spray olive oil, which I did. I also sprayed the baking pan with spray olive oil.

Was fast and easy. Made falafel dough balls and put them into the sprayed baking dish, and baking was around 25 minutes. They turned out really good. Still stuck just a little to the pan, but they still came off with a spatula, without breaking up the falafel balls.

Made 19 falafel balls from the whole box, which cost $2.99. Real score. And delicious. Very spicy and yummy.

I'm thinking I may buy myself an air fryer for Xmas this year, so I don't even have to use that much olive oil. There are some fried things I miss, but I don't want to use oil.

What's your easy vegan recipe discovery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 07:09 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,105,374 times
I love Trader Joes. This reminded me that I need to take a visit there. Thanks for this tip!!

Old 05-14-2018, 07:43 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,302,778 times
I HIGHLY recommend an air fryer. I got one about 5 months ago and have not used the oven since!

I have some pre-made frozen TJ's falafel in the freezer I keep forgetting about. I need to throw that in the AF and see how it is.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:59 AM

29,525 posts, read 22,688,988 times
Thanks for the tip, I love their frozen premade falafels and didn't realize there was an easy mix option with no oils.

I second buying an airfryer, I absolutely love mines and haven't used an oven since. I was skeptical at first but it cuts the time down and does a much better job than an oven. My only regret is buying a smaller one to save money. If you can get the largest size available.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:53 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,302,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Thanks for the tip, I love their frozen premade falafels and didn't realize there was an easy mix option with no oils.

I second buying an airfryer, I absolutely love mines and haven't used an oven since. I was skeptical at first but it cuts the time down and does a much better job than an oven. My only regret is buying a smaller one to save money. If you can get the largest size available.
I wasn't sure about getting one, either! I was thinking it might end up one of those fad kitchen gadgets that no one uses anymore and you see an abundance of at Goodwill (anyone else remember the breadmaker?) but I have found that I really LOVE it! I bought a smaller one (3.7 qt I think) but I am usually just cooking for myself so it's worked great. It is a big plus to not have to turn on the over and heat up the house...especially living in Phoenix!

Old 05-14-2018, 04:44 PM

1,406 posts, read 802,516 times
My cheese sauce:

1 cup non-dairy milk
2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp non-dairy butter
6 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp each of salt, pepper, paprika, garlic
1 tsp mustard (I prefer a spicy yellow, dijon or brown work too); can also use apple cider vinegar instead of mustard

In a sauce pan, make a roux with the butter and flour (med heat)
Add the milk and whisk in the nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic, and mustard
Whisk frequently for about 5 minutes
Reduce heat to low and let sauce sit for another 5 minutes or so to thicken up
Serve over tortilla chips, pasta, or anything else that you like cheese sauce on

Old 05-14-2018, 08:33 PM

I love the idea of not having to use the oven. I hate cleaning ovens! And I think it makes sense to get a bigger one, just because I like to cook in large batches, so I don't have to cook as often. Then, I freeze or can my big batches of whatever.

I did freeze some of the falafel balls, and tonight I thawed them out and made sandwiches out of them and they thawed out perfectly. So now I know I can cook a big batch and freeze them. I just experimented with a few just in case they didn't thaw out and heat well. But, they were perfect - would never know they'd been frozen.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
My cheese sauce:

1 cup non-dairy milk
2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp non-dairy butter
6 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp each of salt, pepper, paprika, garlic
1 tsp mustard (I prefer a spicy yellow, dijon or brown work too); can also use apple cider vinegar instead of mustard

In a sauce pan, make a roux with the butter and flour (med heat)
Add the milk and whisk in the nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic, and mustard
Whisk frequently for about 5 minutes
Reduce heat to low and let sauce sit for another 5 minutes or so to thicken up
Serve over tortilla chips, pasta, or anything else that you like cheese sauce on
This sounds delicious. I've been avoiding as much fat as possible, so I'll have to look into the best options for non-dairy butter. But, I'm keeping this recipe.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:42 PM

I created a gravy recipe, in case anyone wants a more traditional tasting gravy. I use it on microwave-baked potatoes and green beans, or other veggies.

3 cups unsweetened vanilla flavored almond milk

1/3 cup nutritional yeast

3 tablespoons corn starch

2 tablespoons Bragg liquid soy protein or aminos - forgetting the full name, but it's the Bragg soy sauce you can buy at Sprouts, etc. It has a better flavor than regular soy sauce.

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke

Mix everything together - while it's still cold - into a sauce pan and use a whisk to mix it together. If you mix it all together while it's still cold, the corn starch will blend easily with just the whisk.

Heat it until it's bubbling. Cook until it thickens, stirring frequently with the whisk.

It's pretty much zero fat and really low in calories (unsweetened almond milk has about 30 calories a cup), but it does have a fair amount of sodium.

I also use liquid smoke in recipes where I miss a meat flavor, like split pea soup. It's kind of a secret ingredient that makes it taste like it has smoked hamhock in it. Same for other stew-type recipes, or even fajitas, etc. Gives it a grilled flavor.

I find that using the vanilla flavored almond milk gives it more of a sweet cream flavor, too.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:57 PM

29,525 posts, read 22,688,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I wasn't sure about getting one, either! I was thinking it might end up one of those fad kitchen gadgets that no one uses anymore and you see an abundance of at Goodwill (anyone else remember the breadmaker?) but I have found that I really LOVE it! I bought a smaller one (3.7 qt I think) but I am usually just cooking for myself so it's worked great. It is a big plus to not have to turn on the over and heat up the house...especially living in Phoenix!
I was also on the fence but decided to try it out and see for myself. The best part about air fryers is how much quicker it is overall than ovens, and the result is way better.

I have the 1.2 liters Dash 900W air fryer and I also cook for myself but there's not much room when I want to cook fries and also veggie burgers, so I have to split them up. I'd like to upgrade one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food