Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 08:51 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,321,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
It goes a little beyond appearance and I thought "where I was coming from" was pretty obvious.

The impossible burger is made to look, taste and bleed like real meat, with juices coming out of it.
I have yet to see a vegan on this forum that does it for health, the ones that post here do it for the ethical treatment of animals. I see nothing wrong with that. They won't accomplish much but if it makes them feel better, so be it. That is a direct contradiction to eating an impossible burger which is as close as possible to the real thing, including the blood, that is all. The logic is pretty obvious. If you were so repulsed by the flesh of dead animals, would you eat this?
Those burgers that "bleed" (usually via beet juice) are actually marked to meat eaters, that is why they are created to lopk that way.

Where in the "vegan guidebook" you seem to be living by do you see that ethical vegans are "repulsed by dead animals?"

Most people don't go vegan because they hate the taste of meat, they do so because they no longer want to support an industry that causes suffering to animals. Meat substitutes allow people (ALL PEOPLE) to enjoy their favorite foods sans animals. That doesn't make someone "less vegan"

As this article perfectly states: it’s not about what the food looks like; it’s about whether any unnecessary harm and suffering is being caused to innocent animals.

So being able to eat “fake” meat without doing any harm to animals is a big win for those who care about them."

https://vegannews.co/why-do-vegans-eat-fake-meat/

Old 08-14-2019, 09:04 AM

5,203 posts, read 3,130,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Those burgers that "bleed" (usually via beet juice) are actually marked to meat eaters, that is why they are created to lopk that way.

Where in the "vegan guidebook" you seem to be living by do you see that ethical vegans are "repulsed by dead animals?"

Most people don't go vegan because they hate the taste of meat, they do so because they no longer want to support an industry that causes suffering to animals. Meat substitutes allow people (ALL PEOPLE) to enjoy their favorite foods sans animals. That doesn't make someone "less vegan"

As this article perfectly states: it’s not about what the food looks like; it’s about whether any unnecessary harm and suffering is being caused to innocent animals.

So being able to eat “fake” meat without doing any harm to animals is a big win for those who care about them."

I’m not a vegan, but I am repulsed by the blood scenes in Brian De Palma films. Yes, the blood is fake, but the mental connection to actual violence and suffering is real. Perhaps vegans see the same in the beet juice blood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
I’m not a vegan, but I am repulsed by the blood scenes in Brian De Palma films. Yes, the blood is fake, but the mental connection to actual violence and suffering is real. Perhaps vegans see the same in the beet juice blood?
Nope.

It's beet juice.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:51 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,502,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post

I know some people that cannot watch horror movies. They know it's not real, it's just a choice they make on the idea and imagery of what horror movies depict. You assume all animals that are used for food suffer, that is your perception. You don't actually see the animals being killed and suffer, you automatically assume that they are.

Quote:
Most people don't go vegan because they hate the taste of meat
This statement makes no sense. You are so bothered by the idea of animals suffering and getting killed for food but you are OK with the taste of it? Really?

I also assume you haven't always been a vegan since you know what meat tastes like?

I still think it's hypocritical.

By the way, there is no beet juice. The ingredients don't actually sound that bad IMO. It's also as you mentioned, not a health food. I try to avoid Soy but that's just me, I know it's a staple for vegans.

Water, Soy Protein Concentrate, Coconut Oil, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, 2% or less of: Potato Protein, Methylcellulose, Yeast Extract, Cultured Dextrose, Food Starch Modified, Soy Leghemoglobin, Salt, Soy Protein Isolate, Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E), Zinc Gluconate, Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin B12.
https://faq.impossiblefoods.com/hc/e...e-ingredients-

Last edited by gguerra; 08-14-2019 at 11:00 AM..

Old 08-14-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:

This statement makes no sense. You are so bothered by the idea of animals suffering and getting killed for food but you are OK with the taste of it? Really?

I also assume you haven't always been a vegan since you know what meat tastes like?

I still think it's hypocritical.

By the way, there is no beet juice. The ingredients don't actually sound that bad IMO. It's also as you mentioned, not a health food. I try to avoid Soy but that's just me, I know it's a staple for vegans.
Yes, all animals killed for food suffer. Even if the only thing that happens to them is that they are murdered (not likely), that is still suffering. Killing someone that does not want to die causes suffering as they DO realize what is about to happen to them. Fear is suffering.

It makes perfect sense for vegans to eat meat substitutes and it is a sentiment that MANY vegans agree on. No, I have not always been vegan, most people in our society are not vegan from birth. I went vegetarian in 1988 so it's been awhile since I ate animals, but yes, I know what a lot of meat tastes like (though there is a LOT of meat I have never tried) How is it hypocritical to want to enjoy the meals you grew up with and the flavors you enjoy?

For me, and I'd guess most people, the flavor that is enjoyed is not the FLESH itself, it's the seasoning, the condiments, etc that make it delicious. I enjoy a burger not because I think cow flesh tastes good, but I like the seasoning on the patty, the bun, catsup, pickles, onion, etc. The whole picture. There is nothing wrong with eating something that replicates that meal, and it can be done without murdering an animal? EVEN BETTER!

(that being said I cannot eat anything that is too close to the taste of chicken, I just can't. It makes me nauseated.)

Beyond Burger does use beets, it's technically the one that brags about "bleeding".

Water, Pea Protein Isolate*, Expeller-Pressed Canola Oil, Refined Coconut Oil, Rice Protein, Natural Flavors, Cocoa Butter, Mung Bean Protein, Methylcellulose, Potato Starch, Apple Extract, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Vinegar, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Sunflower Lecithin, Pomegranate Fruit Powder, Beet Juice Extract (for color)

Old 08-14-2019, 12:10 PM

6,624 posts, read 6,564,943 times
I don't know for sure, but I've heard that the ingredients are as close to canned dog food as you can get. If that's true... yikes

Old 08-14-2019, 01:17 PM

3,730 posts, read 1,326,553 times
I'll pass. I'll never understand why so many vegetarians and vegans refer to meat, steak, burgers, as gross, disgusting-looking, etc, but constantly strive to use today's technology to create food items that look, taste, and feel, like meat. I was at a cookout my girlfriend's friend hosted, and one of her friends was going on and on about how cutting meat out of her life was the best thing, steaks are so gross, blah blah blah. Two seconds later she;s showing us brands to buy that not only taste good, but look and taste almost like meat, and kept saying, "it felt like I was eating a steak, I loved it!" Ummm, OK? Talk about irony!

If works for you, awesome. But it's OK to enjoy meat too, and people shouldn't be bashed for that. Humans were designed to eat meat. It's how we survived as cave men. We have carnivorous teeth for a reason: to grip, tear, and chew through, (you guessed it) meat! To the people who use the rain forest argument, I laugh. Mainly because the last time I checked, cows, pigs, chickens, and seafood are not obtained from there. You could also flip that argument to the amount of plants and other vegetation that animals use for food and shelter, used to create vegan and vegetarian products. I'm all for protecting the environment, and I go green when I can, but it's a silly argument. Eat what you love, and try to eat/live as healthy as possible.

Last edited by DK736; 08-14-2019 at 02:18 PM..

Old 08-14-2019, 02:09 PM

923 posts, read 528,544 times
I think it's great that people who don't eat meat can stop by for a "fast fix/meal" when they need/want to. Nothing wrong with that.

For those of us that do eat meat, what does that tell you about the quality of a burger that tastes like a fake burger? I haven't eaten at BK(or McD's) for at least 10 years. Hearing that the fake burger tastes like(or better) than their real burger...I think I'll pass. lol I'll stick to my homemade burgers and vegetables that aren't so processed that they taste like something else.

I hope it's good for BK's business as it is a convenience item for many people. I'm sure other fast food chains will follow suit if it's a money making item.

Old 08-14-2019, 05:43 PM

735 posts, read 610,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and Kind View Post
I hope it's good for BK's business as it is a convenience item for many people. I'm sure other fast food chains will follow suit if it's a money making item.
Truly. If quickie food outlets find offering more non-meat options profitable, some that may even appeal to meat eaters, then that's good all around. Good for people who don't eat meat, good for people who are trying to cut back on the amount of meat they eat, good for companies developing non-animal versions of popular American foods, and good for the fast food businesses. I'm not sure why anyone is trying to argue the downside to this.

If it's unappealing to a person individually for any reason, don't eat it. (I, for one, have never understood the appeal of bisquits-and-gravy, for example... so I don't eat it. )

Old 08-14-2019, 07:13 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,769,628 times
Quote:
It goes a little beyond appearance and I thought "where I was coming from" was pretty obvious.

The impossible burger is made to look, taste and bleed like real meat, with juices coming out of it.
I have yet to see a vegan on this forum that does it for health, the ones that post here do it for the ethical treatment of animals. I see nothing wrong with that. They won't accomplish much but if it makes them feel better, so be it. That is a direct contradiction to eating an impossible burger which is as close as possible to the real thing, including the blood, that is all. The logic is pretty obvious. If you were so repulsed by the flesh of dead animals, would you eat this?
There's nothing healthy about the GMO meatless patty over original. It's got just as much calories, fat, and carbs. Its higher in sodium. Not to mention majority of the vegetables in America has traces of Round Up weed killer chemicals.

Meat eaters like me are purists and I want better quality meats. I wouldn't eat at BK for any of their meals. It is the over processing of food that is a health risk regardless of it being meatless.

I doubt many vegans will be eating burgers every week. Fast food joints are a rare occasion.

Why can't vegans just eat wholesome raw plant based diet instead everything has to be a processed meat substitute.

It's as bad as religious people who only practice religion on Sundays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food