Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2020, 06:37 AM

24,112 posts, read 32,460,014 times

Advertisements

I am going out today to do something that I never thought I'd need to do - stock my pantry for the possible pandemic.

This is my tentative list. I am stocking it not only with items we like, but with some we may crave. Being stuck inside won't be fun, so I want to prepare for any cravings and foods that we enjoy as snacks

Breakfast foods - organic pancake mix, real maple syrup, bags of frozen fruit, steel cut oats, local home grown free range eggs. Cold oat serial, Raisin bran Juices. Seltzer.

Lunch and dinner foods - hummus, sandwich slices (Tofurky brand) - a variety. An assortment of Amy's Soups and lots of Amy's prepared chili, pickles, artisan sauerkraut, Jared sun dried tomatoes, olives, nut butters, jams, burgers, chopped better than meat, lentils, split peas, rice, pasta, tomato sauce, potatoes, squash, sweet potatoes, onions, frozen meat free meat balls, pirogis, ravioli, bell peppers, frozen vegetables, non dairy Parmesan cheese, dried fruit, nuts, granola, canned pineapple, mushrooms, soup vegetables, root veggies for roasting. Curry paste. pie crust ingredients.

Snacks - as much fruit as possible, bread, organic quick bread mix, brownie mix, ginger bread mix,apple sauce, crackers, nuts, snacks, - mostly healthy.

Oat and almond milk.

Dog and cat food. Cat litter. Paper goods.

I know I am forgetting a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2020, 06:55 AM

4,601 posts, read 6,359,230 times
My pantry is always well stocked....with the local grocery 12 miles away and my preferred shopping 75 miles away, I always have a stocked pantry. For bulk flours/grains/granola/dried fruit, I buy from azure standard, who delivers to a local drop point once a month.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 03-14-2020, 07:32 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,601,408 times
I keep my pantry and freezer well stocked, but I made sure I had plenty of olive oil, salt and coffee.

Old 03-14-2020, 01:38 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times
Since I'm in Miami, I stocked up on a lot of arroz con frijoles negros.

I also ordered quite a few Tasty Bite brand microwaveable Indian food packets to eat with rice as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF_GT7x9vVk

Old 03-15-2020, 08:19 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
I don't keep mine very well stocked because I am usually only at my home about 50% of the time. However, my usual travel may not be possible, so I picked up some things the other day.

Mostly cans of beans, plus dried beans, cans of some vegetables (I love those Glory southern foods, the butter beans and the turnip greens--two much work to make for one person, so I buy the canned ones.) I have two different types of rice. Considered buying pasta, but the shelves were cleared. I'm not really wild about pasta, but I did think it might be good to keep a box in the house. It was pretty much gone, though. Also bought frozen vegits.

I do eat fish, so I have canned tuna and salmon, too. I also have eggs.

My supermarket has a nice "Vegetarian Meal Deal" where you get your choice of four cooked vegetables for $7. It lasts me for three or four meals, and that way I have a variety without having to cook all those different things myself and possibly waste too much. Again, it's a little different when you live alone than when you are a couple or have a family, so it's not worth it to me to pinch a few pennies. I'll buy the already cooked food.

A bag of sweet potatoes. A container of firm tofu. Forgot to get peanuts to make my tofu and peanut thing with sweet Thai chili sauce.

Oh, and I bought a bag of farro, which I've taken a liking to.

Bought a few containers of Nut Pods for my coffee as well as a container of Cashew/Almond milk. No run on them like there is on dairy cream/milk.

I could probably eat for a month. While rifling through my cabinets, I found this container of middle eastern spice mix I bought at a Yemeni deli in Brooklyn a while ago. It is still good. That deli made the best vegetable soup EVER, and that was their seasoning. I am making that today, but I add chick peas to make it more protein-y.

Old 08-31-2020, 12:24 AM

934 posts, read 1,128,317 times
Mostly beans, rice, pasta, canned tomato products, salad dressing, (my daughter is a Ranch freak), flour, sugar, oil, salt, crackers, ramen, canned tuna since I do eat that. A bit of ready cereal for rotating. Some pineapple juice and pickles. I already have more than I need of canned beans and soups...I just don't use them much. Some cookies, lard, oil. Toilet paper, hand soap, shampoo, dish soap, bleach. Cat food and dog food and cat litter in totes that I can fill with water and save.

Old 09-01-2020, 08:03 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynach View Post
Mostly beans, rice, pasta, canned tomato products, salad dressing, (my daughter is a Ranch freak), flour, sugar, oil, salt, crackers, ramen, canned tuna since I do eat that. A bit of ready cereal for rotating. Some pineapple juice and pickles. I already have more than I need of canned beans and soups...I just don't use them much. Some cookies, lard, oil. Toilet paper, hand soap, shampoo, dish soap, bleach. Cat food and dog food and cat litter in totes that I can fill with water and save.
Cat litter is not sold in food-safe storage containers which are what you need to store drinking water. You can buy the containers online in a wide variety of sizes.

Old 12-01-2020, 10:23 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,577,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Oat and almond milk.

Best.thing.ever! I can never have enough shelf stable almond milk & oats, organic peanut butter, chia seeds & ground flaxseed & cacao nibs....tho chia seeds & flaxseed do better in the fridge. I freeze fresh bananas & always have frozen blueberries.....I love overnight oats & eat them 4 or 5 days a week. AND super easy to make the night before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food