Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 02:43 AM

2,299 posts, read 1,521,375 times

Advertisements

I like tofu with mushrooms, avocado coriander and cashews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2020, 12:52 PM

762 posts, read 452,309 times
I make a chickpea salad and use the small processor for the onions, carrots, celery, pickles, green apple, red cabbage then add some cucumbers, tomatoes, kale, romaine, or any other type of vegetables you prefer, season with some tahini and red wine vinegar.

I let the salad marinate then I make a three color lentil soup, just use the small processor for the onions, carrots garlic and celery, then add some seasonings and cook for 90 minutes. Even my carnie friends love it.

Old 11-28-2020, 03:48 PM

566 posts, read 592,987 times
This is a brilliant idea.. this salad.. I love the idea of using one appliance. I never thought of using tahini with vinegar for a salad dressing what great ideas HONEYWEST. Do you have a favorite vegan cookbook?

Old 11-28-2020, 06:01 PM

337 posts, read 311,164 times
These can easily be made vegan with no salt, no oil, no sugar:

*Baked potatoes with black pepper, salad with balsamic vinegar
*Three bean vegetarian chili
*Choice of nuts/seeds, fresh fruit, veggie sticks, toast
*Black beans and roasted sweet potatoes with curry powder, braised greens
*Pinto beans, succotash (yellow squash, zucchini, onions and diced tomatoes cooked together with italian herbs)
*Roasted sweet potatoes topped with chickpeas and drizzled with tahini dressing (tahini, water, lemon juice).
*Lentil salad (cold) with salad greens and bread
*Red beans and rice, greens
*Mujaderra, greens
*Quinoa corn chowder, garnish with avocado and fresh lime juice
*Pasta with marinara sauce (or add lentils to the sauce for a "bolognese")
*A can of vegetarian baked beans, baked potato, sliced tomato
*Borscht
*A bowl of quinoa topped with roasted veggies (tomatoes, garlic, beets, brussel sprouts, carrots, onion) and drizzled with tahini sauce (tahini, lemon juice, water)

Old 11-29-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Ivy View Post
These can easily be made vegan with no salt, no oil, no sugar:

*Baked potatoes with black pepper, salad with balsamic vinegar
*Three bean vegetarian chili
*Choice of nuts/seeds, fresh fruit, veggie sticks, toast
*Black beans and roasted sweet potatoes with curry powder, braised greens
*Pinto beans, succotash (yellow squash, zucchini, onions and diced tomatoes cooked together with italian herbs)
*Roasted sweet potatoes topped with chickpeas and drizzled with tahini dressing (tahini, water, lemon juice).
*Lentil salad (cold) with salad greens and bread
*Red beans and rice, greens
*Mujaderra, greens
*Quinoa corn chowder, garnish with avocado and fresh lime juice
*Pasta with marinara sauce (or add lentils to the sauce for a "bolognese")
*A can of vegetarian baked beans, baked potato, sliced tomato
*Borscht
*A bowl of quinoa topped with roasted veggies (tomatoes, garlic, beets, brussel sprouts, carrots, onion) and drizzled with tahini sauce (tahini, lemon juice, water)
I needed this list.. straight and to the point. This too, is awesome.

I have a pot of vegetable soup (INSTANT POT) deflating and roasted some cubed red potatoes while waiting for the soup.. a chilly day and a bowl of soup always works magic while I'm now fighting with a head cold.

What is majaderra greens? Does it have another name (maybe I know what it is)

Old 11-29-2020, 01:38 PM

762 posts, read 452,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryswan View Post
This is a brilliant idea.. this salad.. I love the idea of using one appliance. I never thought of using tahini with vinegar for a salad dressing what great ideas HONEYWEST. Do you have a favorite vegan cookbook?
I love to cook and just wing it, whatever I have in the house I try to use and buy fresh weekly. I will try anything once and try to stay with whole foods plants based, even though at times I buy processed foods but 95% of the time, I make fresh at home and no animals were murdered.

Old 11-30-2020, 04:30 PM

1,406 posts, read 801,246 times
Pre-made pizza crust, some decent vegan mozzarella (I like Violife), Yves vegan pepperoni, and Boca crumbles, 10-15 minutes in the oven and you've got a vegan "meat" lovers pizza. Make a salad to add some healthiness

Another that I take to work a lot, rice, frozen vegetables (I use a California blend-broccoli, cauliflower, carrots), 2 tbsp of peanut butter and 2 tbsp of soy sauce, a couple of minutes in the microwave and you've got a delicious pseudo-Asian dish.

Old 11-30-2020, 05:53 PM

337 posts, read 311,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryswan View Post
I needed this list.. straight and to the point. This too, is awesome.

I have a pot of vegetable soup (INSTANT POT) deflating and roasted some cubed red potatoes while waiting for the soup.. a chilly day and a bowl of soup always works magic while I'm now fighting with a head cold.

What is majaderra greens? Does it have another name (maybe I know what it is)
Oh, sorry I misspelled it. It's Mujadara.

It's basically lentils and brown rice cooked in yummy middle eastern spices and caramelized onions. It's a one pot meal, cooked on the stove or instant pot. You can add greens to it, or cook them separately and eat on the side.

This one looks similar to how I make it: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 12-01-2020, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
Pre-made pizza crust, some decent vegan mozzarella (I like Violife), Yves vegan pepperoni, and Boca crumbles, 10-15 minutes in the oven and you've got a vegan "meat" lovers pizza. Make a salad to add some healthiness

Another that I take to work a lot, rice, frozen vegetables (I use a California blend-broccoli, cauliflower, carrots), 2 tbsp of peanut butter and 2 tbsp of soy sauce, a couple of minutes in the microwave and you've got a delicious pseudo-Asian dish.
That pizza is a quick and easy meal! Joey2k, here's a pizza-like idea I made today> Take all of your pizza toppings (minus the sauce) line a cookie sheet with parchment. Preheat oven to 400*, rack on upper 1/3 of oven

Sprinkle lots of pizza toppings on the sheet like the vegan cheese, sliced mushrooms, chunks of pineapple,
blops of pesto, fake sausage, or fake pepperoni, etc..

Check the oven every few minutues.
When its cooked and looking like the top of a pizza remove and cool. Cut into 6 big squares. Stack and wrap them or place in square container. Refridgerate. Place atop cooked eggplant with sauce, rice, or precooked potato, pasta, quinoa etc.... and reheat together. A little steam will melt the topping over whatever precooked food you are heating up.

The peanutbutter & soy sauce is a really versatile, quick and delicious topping. So glad you reminded me of that one. Easy peasy over the rice and veg.. or buckwheat noodles would be good too.
Thanks for the tip Joey2k!

Old 12-01-2020, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I've also made Meatballs - Swedish and Italian with Beyond Burger meat - also meat loaf with wild mushroom gravy, garlic smashed potatoes and green beans or a salad.

Oh yeah!! GREAT idea!! You had me at Swedish meatballs... I'm imagining hors d'oeuvres with glistening Swedish meatballs soaking in a sweet and tangy cranberry-tomato sauce.

Your meatloaf idea opens up lots of possibilities as well.

Wow! Great thinkers on the this thread. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food