Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 01:21 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,332,100 times

Advertisements

If your wedding is in the fall, you might like this one, also from New Moosewood:

Squash Casserole

4 c. cooked squash or pumpkin
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 1/2 c. chopped onion
1 tsp salt
2 small bell peppers (try to get one each red and green for more color), minced
4 - 5 medium cloves garlic, minced
black pepper & Cayenne, to taste
1/2 c. firm yogurt
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
Optional: sunflower seeds or chopped nuts

Pre-heat oven to 375. Place the cooked mashed squash in a large bow.

Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet. Add the onion and saute for about 5 minutes. Add salt and bell pepper. Saute another 5 minutes, until the peppers start to soften. Add garlic, black pepper and cayenne and saute a few more minutes.

Dump the sauteed onions & peppers into the bowl with the squash, and add the yogurt and feta cheese. Mix well. Spread into an ungreased 9" square baking pan and sprinkle the top with sunflower seeds or nuts.

Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes, until bubbly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 04:57 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,244,035 times
Thanks everyone! Keep them coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundball View Post
Online Shopping - Products: Kitchens of India.com (http://www.kitchensofindia.com/products_online_shopping.asp - broken link)

Buy it and heat it. I eat this stuff all the time. I buy it at Target. The only thing you will have to make is some rice and naan.

Sorry, his family will not go for this and we do need an official caterer. We are trying to stay away from Indian dishes. Thanks!

Old 08-02-2008, 05:41 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,646,000 times
RATATOUILLE (French)

A classic vegetable stew, packed full of fresh vegetables and herbs and absolutely bursting with wonderful flavor.

Ingredients (serves 4)

2 large eggplants, roughly chopped
4 zucchini, roughly chopped
2/3 cup olive oil
2 onions, sliced
2 garlic cloves chopped
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and roughly chopped
2 large yellow bell peppers, seeded and roughly chopped
Sprig of fresh rosemary
Sprig of fresh thyme
1 teaspoon coriander seeds, crushed
3 plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
8 basil leaves, torn
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Sprigs of fresh parsley or basil, to garnish

Directions

Sprinkle the eggplant and zucchini with salt, then put them in a colander with a plate and a weight on top to extract the bitter juices. Let sit for about 30 minutes.

Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the onions and cook gently for 6-7 minutes, until just softened. Add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.

Rinse the eggplant and zucchini and pat dry with a clean dish towel. Add to the pan with the peppers, increase the heat and saute the mixture until the peppers are just turning brown.

Add the herbs and coriander seeds, then cover the pan and cook gently for about 40 minutes.

Add the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Cook gently for another 10 minutes, until the vegetables are soft but not too mushy. Remove the sprigs of herbs Stir in the torn basil leaves and check the seasoning. Let cool slightly and serve warm or cold, garnished with sprigs of parsley or basil.

I had a fabulous recipe that is packed away at the moment. But I took this one from a vegetarian book I have available. There are many recipes out there to choose from. In general, it's very delicious! I think it would be nice served with couscous or something similar.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:01 PM

Perhaps Italian fare would also work well. I have a fabulous recipe for Stuffed Shells. And there are many variations of ravioli.

Vegetable pilaf is also another dish.

Stuffed peppers.

Arugula, pear and parmesan salad

Vegetables Provencal

Classic French onion soup

Pasta Primavera

Vegetable Fajitas

Old 08-02-2008, 06:05 PM

By the way, what month are you getting married in? Whatever fresh vegetables are in season in your area would be best to use. And some people call themselves vegetarians, but eat fish. Does anyone eat fish, or eggs and cheese? Or is everyone totally vegan?

And what state are you getting married in? And the time of day? Also, is it sit down or buffet? All these things can make a difference in your menu choices.

Perhaps I can come up with some other ideas.

Check these out for ideas:

http://www.hudsonvalleyweddings.com/guide/veggie.htm (broken link)
http://www.vegetarianweddings.com/international_vegetarian_menus.html (broken link)
http://electrolicious.com/2004/07/wedding_menu

Last edited by Beth56; 08-02-2008 at 06:50 PM..

Old 08-03-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
By the way, what month are you getting married in? Whatever fresh vegetables are in season in your area would be best to use. And some people call themselves vegetarians, but eat fish. Does anyone eat fish, or eggs and cheese? Or is everyone totally vegan?

And what state are you getting married in? And the time of day? Also, is it sit down or buffet? All these things can make a difference in your menu choices.

Perhaps I can come up with some other ideas.

Check these out for ideas:

Planning a Vegetarian Wedding (http://www.hudsonvalleyweddings.com/guide/veggie.htm - broken link)
The Vegetarian Gourmet's International Appetizer Selection (http://www.vegetarianweddings.com/international_vegetarian_menus.html - broken link)
Wedding Menu - Electrolicious
We are getting married in August, evening, buffet. Thanks for the ideas.

No one is vegan, but everyone is vegetarian (i.e., no fish, no meat).

Old 08-03-2008, 02:33 PM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
It just seems to me that you need to call a few more caterers. Any good one should be able to create a good vegetarian menu. Are there any veg restaurants that will cater?
You have enough to worry about without having to plan the menu and find recipes too. What a pickle.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It just seems to me that you need to call a few more caterers. Any good one should be able to create a good vegetarian menu. Are there any veg restaurants that will cater?
You have enough to worry about without having to plan the menu and find recipes too. What a pickle.

Actually, since I'm from a small town (40K but in the middle of no where), I have already called every caterer and none of them do veggie food, ever (most can't even understand why the second entree- the meat one- can't be beef and my half hindu wedding!!). 2 are willing to try. There are no vegetarian restaurants in the city. There is one Italian restaurant, but they don't cater. So, unfortunately, I have to find them recipes to try. On the other hand, we get to be a bit more creative and try lots of different foods! We have 12 months, so we have a lot of time to do that!

Old 08-03-2008, 04:58 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,865,469 times
try this site and search vegetarian... they have great recipes

www.epicurious.com

Old 08-04-2008, 02:43 PM

Thanks again everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food