Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2009, 09:23 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,476,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Salad (see food pics thread) with crusty Italian bread, white wine...
when I saw your pic, it looked so good that I made that very same thing for myself . I added tomatoes, 'shrooms and a bit of chopped cabbage. I warmed the olive oil/vinegar dressing I used. Didn't have Italian bread, so I sufficed with toasted English muffin. Had the white wine, too - thank you for the idea! I also took a pic, but it looks way too much like your pic, and I didn't want to seem like I was recipe-stalking you

Tonight, I had 'manitaropita' from Trader Joe's (phyllo pastry filled with mushrooms in a white wine sauce) and salad. Not in the mood to cook, so I went that route!

katz, how did your dish w/black beans & carmelized onion go? Good enough to post the recipe (if you'd be so kind)?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 03:04 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,865,772 times
This is one we've been making on cold nights which we now call Sunday Night Soup

Tonight's version:

2 cans of Amy's Lentil Soup
2 cans of black beans
1 package of Morningstar crumbles
1 can of corn

1 tablespoon each of fresh crushed spices; cumin, coriander, and garlic - best if ground all together then added to the pot.

Salt to taste

Bread and salad on the side

Produces 6-8 servings (bowls).

There are so many variations since you can add barley, rice, other stuff...depending on what's in the kitchen!

Old 02-15-2009, 10:29 PM

Ohhhh, my stomach! I had coconut cake with coconut ice cream. I think I'm going to be sick.....

Old 02-15-2009, 11:31 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,719,675 times
I tried cooking some new (old) pinto beans, around here they are called boletas, and they are really very good. They are derived from Aztec or Anasazi beans and grown here in Colorado. They have a richer flavor that holds up well to spices, and are sort of a cross between pinto and red or kidney beans.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:49 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,841,201 times
^^ Sounds good! What did you cook them with? ^^

Old 02-19-2009, 09:59 AM

269 posts, read 1,267,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esya View Post
I tried cooking some new (old) pinto beans, around here they are called boletas, and they are really very good. They are derived from Aztec or Anasazi beans and grown here in Colorado. They have a richer flavor that holds up well to spices, and are sort of a cross between pinto and red or kidney beans.
That sounds interesting- I'm in the Denver area too, where can I get some? And do you have a recipe that I can try?

Old 02-19-2009, 01:06 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,865,772 times
Black bean burritos tonight....ahhh!

Old 02-20-2009, 11:17 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,444,128 times
Here is the recipe for the black beans/ pineapple
It turned out good, I will make it again soon.

2 cups each of fresh pineapple chunks and chopped onion
2 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon sugar

Beans:
1 cup dry black beans, soaked overnight
1 1/4 cups of orange juice
3/4 cup liquid vegetarian broth
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/8 teasp. ground cinnamon

Optional
1/4 of a habanero hot pepper

Last minute add ins
3/4 teaspoon of salt (or less)
1 Tablespoon fresh orange juice
zest of one small organic lemon, minced or chopped ( I acutally used fresh squeezed lemon juice, because i couldn't find my zester)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place pineapple, onions and oil and sugar in a baking pan. Mix all ingredients well and bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours. When the pineapple and onions are golden brown and caramelized, remove from oven.

White the mix is in the oven, start cooking the black beans with the broth, juice, bay leaves, thyme and cinnamon. YOu can use a pressure cooker or a regular pot with a tight fitting lid. In a pressure cooker it will take about 20 minutes, in a regular pot, at least 40 minutes, depending on how soft you like your beans. I cooked mine for 1 1/2 hours.

Discard bay leaves and excess liquid (if there is any). Mix beans with pineapple/onions. Toss in salt, oj and lemon zest and serve. I made it with brown rice.
Very yummy!!!

The recipe is from the Radiant Health - Inner wealth cookbook by Q. Challis.

forum rules, please read them

Old 02-22-2009, 06:06 PM

Sauteed tempe strips w/soy, sauteed mushrooms with olive oil
baby spinach & oil & vinegar dressing (Paul Newman's - love it!)

Nice, less than 5 minute, warm, tasty salad! Perfect of rainy weather~

Last edited by Wicked Felina; 02-22-2009 at 06:09 PM.. Reason: hit wrong button

Old 02-25-2009, 06:19 PM

947 posts, read 3,410,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
Ohhhh, my stomach! I had coconut cake with coconut ice cream. I think I'm going to be sick.....

Oooo, You are Not supposed to do that!
But I wish some one will cook for me!!!

That's why I don't post here... Don't really cook, but just heat up veggie patties or frozen veggies

I'll take any one of you to come here and cook... who's it gonna be...? Don't you want to travel to AZ, it is not too hot... yet! hehehe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food