Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 10:47 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,485,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Hey guys--I'm from the "meat-eaters" side but welcome! I can so relate to your way of thinking just haven't got the "do it" yet! I am not into meat so much but hubby still is and probably will always be into it! But hey, hope this thread takes off like my thread did "what's for dinner"!! I don't see any reason it shouldn't! I'm by your side here!
Why, thank you, cynwldkat, that's quite refreshing! I've gotten a lot of recipes and ideas from the meat section, just doesn't seem to be a huge difference to me. Like I said before, it's pretty easy to adjust any recipe to suit one's needs.

Nice of you to drop by with kind, adult thoughts!

As for dinner, just grazing earlier this evening: homemade oatmeal bread toast with dill relish (fresh & locally made), strawberries & blueberries (local farmers, too, thank you!), and I'm just about to have a glass of Syrah! Tomorrow I'll be giving Kele's Middle Eastern Stew a try. Keep posting those recipes, guys - they sound really good!

Have a good weekend, all~

Last edited by Wicked Felina; 10-03-2008 at 10:58 PM.. Reason: additional
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 11:03 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,485,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
...Made a pumpkin quiche tonight. Very easy and good. I'm going to use the left over pumpkin in the morning for pumpkin muffins (my favorite!).
No way, crazy!!! You're not allowed to post the words "pumpkin quiche" without a recipe! Won't you share - ?

Old 10-04-2008, 08:24 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,624,043 times
Google or you-tube search "Gordon Ramsay recipes". He has two vids of a veg curry and a spagetti w/sauce w/no meat. The curry might have yogurt, though. I'm planning on make'n the curry tomorrow, w/a bit of a "twist" though.....well I don't have to tell you what I'll throw in.

They both look good, but then again he makes everything look good and easy.

They are out of his 15 min. meals book.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:29 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,689,318 times
Last night, I served stuffed zucchini over cous cous.

I boiled 2 zucchini for just about 8 minutes. Sliced each in half and "gutted" the insides.

I sauteed the insides of the zucchini with olive oil, finely chopped celery, mushrooms, garlic, onions, tomatoes and bread crumbs. Salt and pepper too!

I then put the stuffing back in the zucchini, baked them at 375 for 20 minutes and served them over the cous cous.

It was a great dinner, easy and inexpensive!

Old 10-05-2008, 03:01 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,759,488 times
Butter Bean Soup with Parmesan
2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 cans (15.5 oz) Butter Beans
1 sm White onion; (chopped)
Veggie boullion
1 sm carrot - chopped
1/2 tsp rosemary
1 celery stalk - chopped
2 C Water
2 Garlic cloves - chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

In a large saucepan, saute the onion, carrot, celery and garlic in olive oil until the onion is soft. Add the beans, bouillon, rosemary and water. Simmer until heated thoroughly. For a thicker soup, remove 1/2 of the mixture and process in a blender, then return to the soup. Serve topped with grated parmesan cheese and parsley, if desired.

Super easy, costs about three dollars to make and it's tasty.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:01 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,759,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Another of my favorites...

Chickpea Tandori

2 tsp. canola oil
1 cup chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups diced uncooked potatoes
1 tsp. peeled, grated fresh gingerroot
1 Tbs. curry powder
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
16-oz. can diced tomatoes
16-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
3/4 cup water or tomato juice
1/2 of 10-oz. box frozen spinach, thawed
2 cups chopped cauliflower
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper

Directions
In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, potatoes and ginger and cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 2 minutes.

Add curry powder and cumin and cook 1 minute, stirring.

Add tomatoes and chickpeas; bring to a boil, stirring. Add water slowly and spinach.

Place cauliflower on top of stew. Cover and simmer until cauliflower is tender, 10 minutes. Season with salt and cayenne.
Had this one tonight. I made an adjustment which made it even better. I added two teaspoons of garam masala.

I then served the concoction over basmati rice. Yummy.....

Oh, I also live at 7200 feet so the simmering time is extended by about 30 minutes or the potatoes remain crunchy.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:49 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,201,309 times
Philly Cheese Steaks

I found that two items are essential when making this treat. Cheeze Whiz and good bread. I have had good and bad rolls. They make such a difference. In my area Maier's Steak Rolls are just great, substantial, not crumbly and a nice flavor. And I used other cheese sauce but "Whiz" is the one, nothing else comes close. For the steak Morningstar Farms® Meal Starters™ Veggie Steak Strips.

Chop a yellow onion, large pieces. Fry with a very little oil until soft and just browned on the edges. When done, add a bit of soy sauce to the pan and add the steak strips and heat.

For the bread, I spread the rolls open and lightly toast them over my gas stove's burners. Toasting improves the sandwich. Spread the top of the roll with Cheeze Whiz. Lay some steak strips in the roll and cover with a generous amount of fried onions. Close and eat - Oh My! this is good

Last edited by quiet walker; 10-08-2008 at 04:00 PM..

Old 10-08-2008, 04:04 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,925,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
No way, crazy!!! You're not allowed to post the words "pumpkin quiche" without a recipe! Won't you share - ?
Sorry SeeBee! My MIL has been visiting so I haven't been checking in (she left today and I had a looong nap!).

So here is the recipe--credit goes to VT (10/06 edition):

Savory Pumpkin Quiche

1/2 c. Gruyere cheese
1 9-inch piecrust
1 c. milk
2 lg. eggs
1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. blk pepper
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 c. fresh or canned pumpkin puree

Sprinkle cheese over bottom of pie crust (I shredded the cheese).
Whisk together milk, eggs and spices/herbs. Blend in pumpkin and pour over cheese in crust.

Bake 10 min. at 400 degrees. Then reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for 45-50 minutes or until pie has set. Cool 10 min. before serving.

Yummy and super simple!

Old 10-08-2008, 04:13 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,925,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
Philly Cheese Steaks

I found that two items are essential when making this treat. Cheeze Whiz and good bread. I have had good and bad rolls. They make such a difference. In my area Maier's Steak Rolls are just great, substantial, not crumbly and a nice flavor. And I used other cheese sauce but "Whiz" is the one, nothing else comes close. For the steak Morningstar Farms® Meal Starters™ Veggie Steak Strips......
Thanks for sharing--I didn't find out about Philly Cheese Steaks until after I turned veggie and always wondered if I missed out on something. I will have to try it some day.

Last night, we had black bean pie with vegan carrot cake for desert. The cake had a good taste, but it had the texture of a muffin instead of a cake. (Hasn't stopped me from having two pieces today so far)

Sunday night we had portabella mushroom "burgers" with pesto and mozzerella cheese -- wonderful as usual! I also attempted veggie chips--frying thin slices of beets, sweet potatoes, and regular potatoes in oil. They were pretty good, although the recipe said to keep them warm in them oven at 350 degrees while cooking the rest...that ended up burning half the chips! I had a hard time getting the beets crisp, but when I did they were the best!

Old 10-08-2008, 07:58 PM

536 posts, read 2,156,879 times
MMm Portabella Mushroom burgers sound soooo good.... My boyfriend was just telling me we should try it since they are the size of a regular burger and are meaty with out the meat.

I had...

Thin spinach pizza with soy mozzarella
and a green salad with sunflower seeds and a raspberry vinaigrette.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food