Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2008, 11:39 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,870,926 times

Advertisements

Had a nice Vegetarian stir fry at a Vietnamese place the other night with five different veggies in it. Mmmm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 12:11 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,931,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephthys View Post
MMm Portabella Mushroom burgers sound soooo good.... My boyfriend was just telling me we should try it since they are the size of a regular burger and are meaty with out the meat.
You should try them. They are so easy, too. I hated mushrooms growing up, but I have slowly evolved to liking them. A big portabella mushroom burger was the last thing, though. My husband would always order them at restaurants and they always tasted good when I tried a bite, but I still wondered if I could eat a whole thing. Then I made them camping and now I'm a convert! I marinated mine in a little Braggs, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar in the morning, then grilled in a pan until it looked like they were cooked through. It was a really great camping dish, too.

Old 10-11-2008, 06:00 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,765,213 times
Inexpensive and delicious. (Can't tell I'm a curry fan, can you?)

Tomato-Lentil Curry Stew

INGREDIENTS
1-1/2 cups dry lentils
3 cups water
15 ounces stewed tomatoes
1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons chopped onion
6 stalks celery, chopped, with leaves
3/4 teaspoon curry powder
9 cloves garlic, minced
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS

Combine lentils and water, bring to a boil.
Lower heat to simmer, add tomatoes, onion, and celery. Cover and let simmer 45 minutes. Check every 15 minutes to stir, and add water if necessary. Add spices last 15 minutes to taste. Taste and re-spice if necessary before serving.

Old 10-11-2008, 06:46 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,209,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Inexpensive and delicious. (Can't tell I'm a curry fan, can you?)

Tomato-Lentil Curry Stew

INGREDIENTS
1-1/2 cups dry lentils ...
Thank you for this. I just bought a couple of packages of lentils, having become a fan of a canned lentil soup. And all your ingredidients are things I have in my house

Old 10-11-2008, 08:50 PM

Yeah! I'm always looking for good lentil recipes!

I made tomato risotto with asalad on the side.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:58 AM

We had the most incredible Italian veggie meal last night using Farro (emmer wheat).

Farro cooks up like a thicker version of quinoa or tabouli but with a distinct texture and flavor. We made a big pot of farro with sliced roma tomoatoes, red peppers, cilantro, roasted pine nuts (which go on last), and lemon. The result is a tasty dish bursting with flavor and nutrients. Needless to say, there were no leftovers.

More about Farro here and here.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:04 AM

...almost forgot, the farro dish also had chopped green onions and was spiced with mint and chives. It takes about 1 liter of vegetable stock to cook one dry cup of farro.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:40 PM

Chili Dogs with fresh chopped yellow onion. I prefer Smart Dogs to any other dog. And I use canned vegetarian chili as it is not the main act, and my homemade would be too chunky. Good bread is important too, use good rolls. These are good! My omni friends love them (I'm not sure all of them know)

Old 10-13-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
We had the most incredible Italian veggie meal last night using Farro (emmer wheat). ...
I've never heard of Farro. I will have to try it some day soon--it sounds good and I need to get out of my wheat/quinoa/bulgar rut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
Chili Dogs with fresh chopped yellow onion. I prefer Smart Dogs to any other dog. And I use canned vegetarian chili as it is not the main act, and my homemade would be too chunky. Good bread is important too, use good rolls. These are good! My omni friends love them (I'm not sure all of them know)
Have you ever had chili-cheese-slaw dogs? They are super good! You need a smooth cheese/cheese-substitute, and a creamy slaw like the kind at Kentucky Fried Chicken. Yum! When we lived in NH, there was a hot dog restaurant and they had veggie dogs! Oh, the yummy concoctions!

Tonight I made a great stew with seitan, shiitake mushrooms, carrots, turnips, potatoes, zuchini, and a broth that included Braggs and lots of red wine. Served it over mashed potatoes with a salad and crusty bread. It was superb--now if I was able to get it to the table before 6:30!

Old 10-14-2008, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
... Have you ever had chili-cheese-slaw dogs? They are super good! You need a smooth cheese/cheese-substitute, and a creamy slaw ...
I'm always looking for another way to enjoy hot dogs! Thanks for this. I've got some cheeze whiz left over from philly cheese "steaks" Slaw shouldn't be hard to find. Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food