Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 08:22 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,844,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
I've heard Portland, OR is the ultimate veggie heaven. Is anyone here from Portland?
Portland, OR, and Seattle, WA, are both very veggie friendly. Portland has the only vegan strip mall in the country. That was one of my favorite parts about living there, but not enough to entice me to stay!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 08:24 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,385,981 times
The Seattle area is very vegetarian friendly.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:52 PM

5,169 posts, read 11,454,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
What areas of the country are actually friendly to vegetarians? My area isn't too enlightened on it and there are very few of us. There are some younger people who are choosing this lifestyle, but it's kind of a struggle for them.

About 20 miles east of here, there is a sign that says something like, "We Dakotans reject all animal activists because we make our living from furs, hunting, blah blah blah". The sign has been vandalized a few times and there has always been a reward put out for the vandals. Most of the people here think it's weird or unhealthy to go meatless.

It's somewhat understandeable considering that I live in a state that is very agricultural and very hunting oriented. The town I live in doesn't have a vegetarian restaurant and I'm not even sure where the nearest one would be~probably not even in my state because it couldn't survive. There are a few restaurants that serve a veggie plate or two, but that's about it.

So, what is your area like? What part of the country embraces it? Are there places that have community gardens?
We used to live in a DC suburb and it was VERY veggie friendly We had so many choices of vegetarian or veggie friendly restaurants and many health food stores. I really miss that!!!! Now we live in Central MA and it is not veggie friendly, IMO. You can find a few things in the regular supermarkets, or of course if I drive out to Whole Foods in Amherst or Natick, but with the gas prices I try to keep that to a minimum. DC also had a very active vegetarian group and they organize an amazing vegan Thanksgiving and there are many vegan pot lucks events around Thanksgiving. One of them in the Poplar Spring farm animal sanctuary, an amazing place!!!!

forum rules, please read them

Old 09-06-2008, 03:56 PM

Oh and we used to have an amazing community garden!!! If it hadn't been for the crazy traffic and unhealthy air we would have stayed there. But my DH's asthma was getting so bad, we had to move out of there.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:08 PM

696 posts, read 1,432,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Oh and we used to have an amazing community garden!!! If it hadn't been for the crazy traffic and unhealthy air we would have stayed there. But my DH's asthma was getting so bad, we had to move out of there.
Sounds like TakPk. DCMetro was home for me my whole life ... luckily my little brother & his family are still there so we roadtrip there regularly. I always knew I was lucky living there, but only after I moved "beyond the Beltway" did I realize just how lucky I had been!

Old 09-06-2008, 06:18 PM

Not quite, but close . We did go to Mark's kitchen quite a bit and loved their tofu club sandwich, the vegan spinach cakes, the ginger tofu, the asian noodles etc. Ooooh and their vegan cheesecake!!!! Also loved the Takoma Park food co-op. Another place that I very much enjoyed was the "conscious corner" shopping area, I think it was in Clarksville? Not far in any case and the "great Sage" always had wonderful food!!!
Now I am really craving some of that good food

Old 09-28-2008, 09:41 PM

268 posts, read 1,615,563 times
Fargo is surprisingly veggie friendly. A lot of menus have veggie options. An all-vegan restuarant just opened and a lot of Asian food places sub tofu in their dishes. There are a few peeps here that think you're nuts for not getting down on some carne, though.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:02 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,869,128 times
I'm in Brussels this week and if you are ever here, there are tons of great veggie options; indian, vietnamese, tibetan, and even three full vegetarian restaurants. There is a nice chain of fresh food places all over town (called Exki) which feaures mostly vegan and vegatarian options where you can get take-away quinoa, tobouli, etc (plus awesome vegan desserts).

Today, a friend took me into the NATO headquarters (a huge place) and they even had a separate veggie/vegan line in the cafeteria (with lots of people taking that option). Who would have guessed it! By the way, I had a nice dish of spinach filled rigatoni and broccoli.

Back to Italia tomorrow...

Old 10-09-2008, 09:29 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,689,981 times
I am living in San Antonio now, but I have found NYC, Toronto, San Diego and Scottsdale to be very veggie friendly. Mmmm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food