Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2008, 11:17 PM

19 posts, read 73,401 times

Advertisements

I'm new to this site, so I thought I'd say hello, and start a thread that hasn't been discussed yet. (Well I think it hasn't!)

When you're traveling and have to eat in restaurants (or brown bag it) what do you eat? Especially since there's not a lot of vegetarian/ vegan restaurants along the highway. I know that some chain restaurants have veggie burgers and salads, but not much more for us. My wife and I have gone into some restaurants that don't have anything on the menu for us, so we've asked for "custom" meals....maybe veggies, rice, salad and bread. Most of the time it works out OK. One trip we took (9- 10 years ago) to Texas (from CA) was very lacking in anything vegetarian...so we made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches....a lot! We're a lot more resourceful these days on road trips and take along an ice chest with good healthy food we can make...and snack while driving.

So, how about you??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 11:50 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,470,730 times
Hello, there.

If I do a planned trip, there's really no problem with food. Like you, I take along an ice chest...stop often to let the critter out (that'd be my pup!), and snack.

There're are so many options these days (IF you live in an area where such veg travel food items are readily available), it's a non-issue if you are able to plan ahead.

There are even dehydrated veg items for backpackers, mtn climbers. Maybe not a fine dining experience, but I'd rather sit outside in the country, than inside at some greasy, stinky truck stop!

Old 09-08-2008, 10:39 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,863,526 times
Speaking of travelling, has anyone seen the Travelling Vegetarian?

She goes to some great veggie restaurants in those videos! I get hungry just watching them. According to Yvonne (who produces and stars in the videos), the Food Network is considering whether to start airing her show.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:25 PM

113 posts, read 563,334 times
Happy Cow (Vegetarian restaurants guide and directory of natural health food stores by HappyCow) has some great resources for veggie restaurants all over. If that doesn't help, I do some research on my own. I actually don't pack a ton of food in a cooler, I have a paranoia of stuff going bad. I figure that most places, I can find at least a decent grocery store with peanut butter and wheat bread, if absolutely nothing else.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:23 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,863,526 times
Any good veggie places in Philly and DC? I'll be travelling there soon and wanted to know if there are any recommendations. Thanks!

Old 09-10-2008, 12:24 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,902,107 times
Before a trip, I generally take the time to look up a few vegetarian restuarants online and read the reviews. I have found some extraoridinary restuarants this way!

Also, generally breakfast places as well as Tapas, Indian, Japanese/Chinese, Italian,Thai, etc have many nonmeat options.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:42 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,437,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
Any good veggie places in Philly and DC? I'll be travelling there soon and wanted to know if there are any recommendations. Thanks!

I do not know about Philly, but DC has several nice vegetarian restaurants.
here is a link
VegDC.com: Restaurants

My favorite is Java Green, great smoothies, brunch and asian influenced vegan cuisine. Yum. I miss this place!!!!

Another great choice is Vegetate.

If you travel out to Takoma Park, go to Mark's Kitchen and in College Park there is the Berwyn Cafe, they have some amazing Falafel and hummus, great tempeh sandwiches etc. Both are accessible from the Metro.

forum rules, please read them

Old 09-11-2008, 09:20 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,914,887 times
I pack lots of snacks--usually making food for a few days beforehand (I'm thinking of our two 1,500-2000 mile trips), making cookies, snack mixes, cutting up veggies, putting together baggies of crackers and such together.

My husband's last job required him to travel a lot, spending week(s) in a hotel, so he bought a one-burner plug-in deal, as well as a cheap pot, and made small one-pot meals. We did the same for our last trip. It saved on money and we could travel further everyday because we didn't have to figure in the time for a restuarant stop (it is also hard to get the kids back in the car after a long day of driving).

We also try to figure out the area that we are going to stop and then I look online for any good ideas beforehand.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:53 AM

8 posts, read 18,653 times
Default good places to eat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
I'm vegan and live in the philly suburbs, yes it's hard for people like us to get a good meal out (besides a salad). Try Gianna's which is on 6th St off of South St. Great food, every thing is available vegan and they have awesome vegan desserts. Nodding head brewery on Sampson St. offers some vegetarian items on their menu (plus good beer). If your thinking chinese, in china town they are some vegan only places like Kingdom of the Vegetarian. Good luck..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food