Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 02:27 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,925,864 times

Advertisements

I had a whole post that was over the line. Edited for overly sarcastic comments.

The issue at hand is if the human body is designed to eat meat. XPat says it is not, and holds as proof that our digestive tract is too long, our teeth too blunt, and our instincts are towards fruit. I disagree, saying that our bodies aren't designed like a carnivore, they are designed to eat, well, omnivore. As way of proof I point to our teeth, our digestive enzymes, our lack of ability to synthesize complete protein without a variety of vegetables, and our instinct to hunt. And the fact that cooking bacon is maybe the best smell on the planet. Top 10, anyway.

I think being vegetarian is a noble thing. I respect it. But I don't believe that our bodies are designed for it.

I'll even go so far as to say that most vegetarians are in better health and have better nutition that omni's - however - it's a big leap from that to 'meat is a carcinogen'.

Last edited by arsbadmojo; 09-08-2008 at 03:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 08:56 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,465,090 times
Great article on meat "production" and the costs to the environment, human health and the tax payers who get to subsidize that steak.

The cost of steak - Los Angeles Times

forum rules, please read them

Old 09-08-2008, 09:42 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,872,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Termites are meat of a sort. And let's not forget what spiders do (make webs to trap prey). Using tools or knowledge to get prey more efficiently doesn't mean that creature isn't meant to do so. Scientists (including biologists, and I'm not just talking meat/dairy idustry paid ones either) have already concluded we're omnivores, so you're not going to win the argument that we aren't. The facts bear it out, humans can survive off meat/fish diets, vegetable/fruit/grain diets, or a combination thereof. I don't believe any diet is morally superior in any way, contrary to what some are suggesting here.
I don't eat termites either.

After you've used your tools, check out what happens when that food enters your GI system...

Which scientists are you talking about? Which facts?

You can survive as an omni, sure. You are just much more likely to get cancer, heart disease, erectile disfunction, and high blood pressure. become obese, etc and need to take some kind of meds from your 40s until you die.

Risk of death from heart disease for vegetarians compared to omnis: half (American Journal of Clinical Nutrition)

Risk of colon cancer for those who eat meat once a week versus vegetarians: 38% higher. Eat meat daily versus those who don't at all? 250% higher. (American Journal of Epidemology)

Risk of colon cancer for those who eat poultry four times per weel compared to vegetarians: 200-300 times higher. (American Journal of Epidemology)
I could easily go on and on...

Who said anything about anyone being morally superior? Not me!

Old 09-09-2008, 02:30 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,219,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
Prevent Animal Cruelty by Adopting a Vegetarian Diet | ChooseVeg.com

The barbarism of meat production is truly horrifying. How can anyone with a conscience turn away from these horrors and continue to support such unspeakable cruelty by consuming meat products?
now i have been hunting in the past and i consider meat to just be one of those things. my old man is in the meat game and i have been to slaughter houses and i don't have a problem with it. i've also been to feedlots and intense chicken farms, no problem. the stuff in this video has changed my tune a little. there is no reason for these animals to go through this kind of cruelty. i used to moan about paying for free range but i won't ever do so again!

Old 09-10-2008, 01:14 AM

464 posts, read 1,364,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
If your teeth were designed for cutting meat, you would be able to tear open ther animal's skin and rip meat out with your own teeth (like the long teeth of real carnivores/omnivores). I'll bet a dollar that you use a knife to cut yours into pieces small enough that you can eat them with our stubby herbivore teeth.

Also, real carnivores/ominvores eat their meat raw, straight from the body of their killed prey. Is this how you prefer it?

The GI tracts of carnivores are very short so the meat can be digested quickly. Herbivores have a digestive tract which is a few times the length of their own body. Do you remember how long your small and large intenstives are (hint: 4+ times as long as your body)? This is why human meat eaters are so prone to colon cancer and other GI issues because the meat sits there for days, weeks, and months trying to digest when its alreasdy gone rancid in your intentines.

The enzyme that you say breaks down meat, is actually there to break down proteins. The problem for you is that while pepsin can break down meat, its not very good at it which is why you feel heavy and tired after eating a steak (as it takes hours to not fully digest in your stomach before it passes into the small intestine). Pepsin work efficiently with the many plant based proteins which can be digested in 20 minutes and sent onward

In short, the human are designed to be a herbivores. Humans can, with the aid of sharp knives and cooking, eat and partly digest meat (with lots of unhealthy side effects).

If you want to eat meat, that is your choice but just realize that your body was not designed for you to digest it.
preach!!!

Old 09-10-2008, 01:18 AM

464 posts, read 1,364,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
I farm and raise livestock, and this vid is not the norm.......not even close. Obviously it does happen and it makes me sick to my stomach. I don't know anyone that treats their animals like what I have seen on the vid, and I know many from N. Dakota to Texas, Missouri to Nevada.

To truely understand, you must visit a farm yourself.

This is an extreme example, and I can show you the complete opposite. Cattle getting massages, beer, all the fresh food and water they want/need(they can eat too much and die).

But I do understand your point, living in NYC you don't get to see many farmers/livestock operations, and you see this vid........I'd probably think the same.

For the other 99.9% of farmers/ranchers, this is not how it is done.
what a relief, why is the media scaring us city folk into thinking farms are some kind of merciless dungeon?

Old 09-10-2008, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbaneAspects View Post
preach!!!
???

You obviously missed the rest of the discussion...

For the third or fourth time:

Again, to each his own and we'll see you around somewhere else on CD.

Peace,

XP

Old 09-10-2008, 06:26 AM

18,332 posts, read 26,586,012 times
Quote:
Who said anything about anyone being morally superior? Not me!
I was referring to the original poster's statement and what it suggests:

Quote:
The barbarism of meat production is truly horrifying. How can anyone with a conscience turn away from these horrors and continue to support such unspeakable cruelty by consuming meat products?
I think the cancer subject was covered well on the other thread about it.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I was referring to the original poster's statement and what it suggests:

I think the cancer subject was covered well on the other thread about it.

1. Agree. And they originally posted it in the main food and drink area, not here in veggie land (a foul in my book).

2. Yes, the cancer thread started after it was discussed here.

Have a great day!

XP

Old 09-10-2008, 11:41 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,498,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
???

You obviously missed the rest of the discussion...

For the third or fourth time:

Again, to each his own and we'll see you around somewhere else on CD.

Peace,

XP
I'm qoing to start quoting you, XP. He's our second (or third) troll within two days (I think that's the fourth go-around).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food